PDA

View Full Version : Woman sues ex-fiance for $62,814 after hook-up ruins plans

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2011, 04:54 PM
By Steve Green - Las Vegas Sun

A Chicago woman sued her ex-fiance on Friday, charging their marriage plans fell apart after she found text messages showing he "hooked up" with a woman he met during his Las Vegas bachelor party.

Lauren Serafin filed suit in Cook County Circuit Court against Robert Leighton, alleging he has failed to reimburse her the $62,814 she spent preparing for the wedding and honeymoon.

Serafin, an attorney, alleges she dated Leighton, also an attorney, for two years and that after he proposed to her, they had planned to marry on Aug. 21, 2010.

But the lawsuit says she discovered through text messages on his cell phone that on July 17, while in Las Vegas with friends for his bachelor party, he met a woman named Danielle and arranged to meet her at a nightclub that night.

The suit says that after meeting the woman at the club, they had sex in Leighton's hotel room.

On July 24, after returning to Chicago, Leighton attended a wedding shower with Serafin and acted as if nothing had happened, the lawsuit said.

Serafin found the text messages on July 28 and confronted Leighton, the suit says.

"Defendant, seemingly believing that 'what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas,' denied that anything happened between himself and Danielle in Las Vegas," the lawsuit charges.

Leighton finally admitted he "made out" with Danielle in Las Vegas and then informed Serafin he would not marry her, the suit charges.

Later, Leighton admitted he "hooked up" with Danielle and Danielle apologized to Serafin, "claiming defendant deceived her as well by not advising her that he was in Las Vegas attending his own bachelor party and that he was engaged to be married," the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit, posted on the website onpointnews.com, alleges breach of the promise to marry and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

"Defendant had a fiduciary duty of implied fidelity to plaintiff," the lawsuit says, adding Serafin "suffered humiliation" by having to tell family members, friends and co-workers that the wedding was canceled and why.

Saying 170 people had planned to attend the wedding and reception, Serafin says in the suit she had reserved a banquet hall at the Ritz-Carlton Chicago and that this involved a cancellation penalty.

The suit says she made nonrefundable purchases of a wedding dress and veil, had reserved salon services, reserved a band, made a deposit with a florist, made nonrefundable purchases of dresses for bridesmaids and flower girls, spent money on invitations, made a deposit with a photographer, booked a hotel for a bachelorette party, booked a wedding shower at a restaurant and made nonrefundable reservations for airfare and a hotel for the honeymoon in Bora Bora.

Leighton declined comment when he was contacted by the Chicago Tribune on Friday, the Tribune reported.

fricnjay
03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Engaged to be married is not married. :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Engaged to be married is not married. :thumbsup:

No, but unfortunately I have seen a lot of cases that say an engagement is a contract and that when the contract is breached, the person that screwed up is liable. She might actually have a case against him :huh:

minz
03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
This reaffirms my decision to NEVER commit. :meh:

FBD
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
If its a contract, where's the legally binding piece of paper he signed?

Oh...yeah. It doesnt exist. And neither does "a contract" - it is but a nonbinding verbal agreement with either party free to walk at any time.

Until you say I Do, its just that.

He should countersue for legal fees at the very least.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
If its a contract, where's the legally binding piece of paper he signed?

Oh...yeah. it doesnt exist. And neither does "a contract" - it is but a nonbinding verbal agreement with either party free to walk at any time.

Until you say I Do, its just that.

It's called putting the ring on her finger :roll:

minz
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Vebal contracts can be enforceable if both parties have the means.

FBD
03-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Exactly...a ring is not a legally binding contract. Its a fucking shiny metal loop!

If the sneaky bitch wasnt rummaging through his phone then she'd have pissed her 65 grand away in another fashion :rolleyes: e.g. "on the party"...and seriously...*her half* is somehow $65k? Get that bullshit frivolous lawsuit garbage outta here :wave:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Exactly...a ring is not a legally binding contract. Its a fucking shiny metal loop!

If the sneaky bitch wasnt rummaging through his phone then she'd have pissed her 65 grand away in another fashion :rolleyes: e.g. "on the party"...and seriously...*her half* is somehow $65k? Get that bullshit frivolous lawsuit garbage outta here :wave:

Yup, just a shiny metal loop :rolleyes:

Woman Sues Ex-Fiancé, Wins $150K
NBC-TV Channel 11 News (Atlanta)

GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- A Gainesville woman has successfully sued her ex-fiancé after he called off their wedding. A jury ruled it was a breach of contract and ordered him to pay $150,000 in damages.

Rosemary Shell holds a large, glittering engagement ring in her hands. She no longer wears it on her ring finger, but instead keeps it in the box it came in. She says it's a reminder of what could have been.

"He changed his mind for no good reason," said Shell.

She's talking about Wayne Gibbs of Gainesville, a man she dated for five years. Shell says when he said he wasn't interested in marriage she moved to Pensacola, Florida and started a lucrative new job earning $81,000 a year plus bonuses and benefits. Then Gibbs showed up.

"He asked me to marry him. He gave me a ring and I gave up my life and my career and I came back to Gainesville. He told me he would pay my bills, that we would be married by the holidays and we would live happily ever after. I believed him," said Shell.

But two days before the wedding, she says Gibbs left her a goodbye note saying he couldn't go through with the wedding. He also wrote her a $5,000 dollar check. She says she tore up both and instead sued him for breach of contract.

Shell's lawyer, former Hall County District Attorney Lydia Sartain, successfully argued before a jury that Gibbs owed Shell what she'd lost in salary plus pain and suffering.

"He callously allowed her to quit her job, move back and into his house where she had no income and then after a couple of months he just put her out on the streets and said 'you know you're on your own'," said Sartain.

After just a day of testimony, the jury sided with Shell and ordered Gibbs to pay $150,000 dollars in damages.

Neither Gibbs nor his attorney was available for comment. Gibbs did testify that he didn't feel he owed Shell anything, especially since he'd let her keep the engagement ring.

The ring Shell now keeps in that box and plans to sell. She says she hopes the next woman who receives it has a fiancé who will follow through.

FBD
03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
And that's the reason why activist judges shouldnt be allowed to issue rulings from the bench with their heart and not with their head in the game following the law as they should be!

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
:-s

Where on earth do you see that it was a so-called 'activist judge'? It was a jury trial and a jury verdict FFS.

FBD
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeh, and who advises the jury :roll:

This is the problem with judges who make rulings based on "what they believe should be" as opposed to opening the fking book of law to guide them.

FBD
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I dont mean to sound overly cynical about the shiny metal loop - but it is not a fcking contract. It is a promise of intent, it is a symbol of a heartpledge...if one wants to disregard that and deal with the resultant karma then there are plenty of ramifications for the self, but to go down the slippery slope of declaring verbal "promises" to be legally binding is just not good for the country - the government does enough crap to make situations lopsided and fkin up the whole incentive package for parties without shit like this from the judiciary.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes, you're right, the judge was part of the Illuminati and manipulated the verdict for a part of an as yet unknown larger nefarious agenda :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/jyDT4.jpg

MrsM
03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-53/3128tumblr_le5zugzsc91qbp4emo1_400.gif (http://hotchyx.com/)

FBD
03-08-2011, 08:53 PM
What, you've never seen a judge advise and make rulings on something he had an opinion of and disregarded the letter of the law?? (you did see the rulings in favor of obamacare, didnt you? :roll: :lol: )

minz
03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
:popcorn:

Goofy
03-08-2011, 09:44 PM
:popcorn:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5288/popcornsteal.gif (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/popcornsteal.gif/)

minz
03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5288/popcornsteal.gif (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/popcornsteal.gif/)

:slap: thief :meh:

Goofy
03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1465/mineu.gif (http://img546.imageshack.us/i/mineu.gif/)

minz
03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
See... boys dont play fair. :meh:

Goofy
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
:lol:

Think we've taken this thread a bit off topic......... 8-[

minz
03-08-2011, 10:18 PM
:lol:

Think we've taken this thread a bit off topic......... 8-[

:threadjack: :huh: