PDA

View Full Version : Officials: 3 killed after cruise ship runs aground off Italy

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2012, 11:55 AM
By the CNN Wire Staff

http://i.imgur.com/5OoHy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aEuiU.jpg

Rome (CNN) -- At least three people were killed when a cruise ship ran aground near the Italian island of Giglio on Friday night, the local civil protection agency said Saturday.

The Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, ran aground on a sand bank off the island, located off of Italy's western coast, ANSA reported. The incident occurred during dinnertime, witness Luciano Castro told ANSA.

The ship was carrying about 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members at the time, according to the cruise line's blog.

Initial reports suggested as many as six people had been killed, but it was unclear why the number dropped. An additional 14 people were injured, Adm. Ilarione Dell'Anna, head of coastal authorities for the port city of Livorno, told CNN.

The civil protection agency in the town of Grosseto, the provincial capital, said the emergency operation was still ongoing and parts of the ship remained underwater, so the toll could rise.

The authorities believe they have now accounted for everyone on board but do not yet have the definitive list of name.

The coast guard said three helicopters were used to rescue some passengers from the ship, which pictures show leaning heavily to one side.

Evacuation efforts started promptly but were made "extremely difficult" by the position of the ship, according to a statement on Costa's website. Some passengers fell into the chilly waters during the rescue, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

Dell'Anna said an investigation is under way.

"There has probably been a technical blackout," he said. "The ship was dangerously near the coast. We worked all night in a state of maximum emergency.

"Fortunately the sea conditions have helped us, otherwise -- given the high number of people to rescue, 4,231 -- we could have had a completely different scenario: a real tragedy."

Passengers said the lights went out and then it became clear the ship had hit something.

Panic spread as people scrambled to find lifeboats in the dark as the ship quickly leaned to one side. Access to some lifeboats was hampered by the ship's tilt into the water, adding to the confusion.

Many of those rescued in the early hours were taken to small churches and other buildings around the island for shelter.

One of the victims was a 65-year-old woman who died of a heart attack, according to authorities.

Costa said it was focusing on the final stages of the emergency operation and helping passengers and crew return home.

"It is a tragedy that deeply affects our company. Our first thoughts go to the victims and we would like to express our condolences and our closeness to their families and friends," Costa said on its website.

The Concordia, built in 2006, was on a Mediterranean cruise from Rome with stops in Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo, according to the cruise line. It was unclear how far into the cruise the grounding occurred.

Most of the passengers on board were Italian, as well as some French and German citizens. CNN affiliate America Noticias, in Peru, said a group of 32 Peruvians were also onboard.

Another Costa ship was involved in a deadly 2010 accident when the Costa Europa crashed into a pier in Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh during stormy weather, killing three crew members.

Godfather
01-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Wow that picture..... How fast did it turn on its side like that!?! If that happened right at the time of impact I find it hard to believe dozens wouldn't have been killed :shock:

Pony
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Wow that picture..... How fast did it turn on its side like that!?! If that happened right at the time of impact I find it hard to believe dozens wouldn't have been killed :shock:

My first thought when reading the title was how did people get killed running aground? Then I saw the pics and immediately understood.

Godfather
01-14-2012, 06:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqXkN0gVFbI&feature=player_embedded

Richard Cranium
01-15-2012, 03:55 AM
No worries, that'll buff out no problem..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/394293_3024892429679_1483816924_3117014_285585889_ n.jpg

Loser
01-15-2012, 04:08 AM
An FYI, the captain was arrested.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Why were they scrambling for life boats when they were a few feet from shore ;)

Godfather
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Some people did jump in the water and swim, but many ended up with hypothermia. It was also it was night time so people were panicked and disoriented. I read one story about people trying to crawl towards the liferafts through the hallways, and the only thing you could see was from the light on everyone's life vest as the boat was turning on its side - people were panicking and one grandmother tried to hand her granddaughter to a stranger because she didn't think she could make the crawl to safety.

The worst part is that they hadn't held a single muster drill. People had NO clue what to do. That's the first thing do on any cruise ship you get on over here.

I've read a few places that there was some kind of an explosion causing power loss and requiring systems to be restarted, which created a perfect storm of shit to happen successively so they ran aground :wha:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I know. I was being a smartass

Godfather
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
:lol: I figured

PorkChopSandwiches
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
:dance:

Godfather
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
They've found a few more bodies now

Sounds like the Captain sneaked off the ship and refused to go back and manage the evacuation when the Coast Guard told him to. The rest of the crew was allegedly doing whatever they could to save themselves. Damn italians...

Leefro
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I know. I was being a smartass

Did not work ;)

Looks like the blame game has started the company has blamed the Captain

Godfather
01-15-2012, 10:43 PM
The ship was 150m from the shore when it hit a rock. Apparently the rock wasn't on any maps but everyone is asking why the hell they were in that close anyways :wha:

Leefro
01-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Underneath ?

Godfather
01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
No they were 150m out from the shore, way too close to land.

Leefro
01-15-2012, 10:50 PM
The captain said that was a rock showed up that was not on the map

Richard Cranium
01-15-2012, 10:58 PM

That rock is the continent of Europe, captain needs to recheck his map because I'm pretty sure I've seen it before.. [/sarc]

Godfather
01-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Yes but everyone else says it doesn't matter 'cus he shouldn't have been that close to shore :lol: