PDA

View Full Version : Teh Car Maintenance/ Upgrades/ Tech Help, Question Thread

Tank
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
right i intend this thread to be the place were fellow gearheads can go to ask stuff about things they need help with when it comes to motors and everything associated with them. . . . . .

i am however being a little cheeky here as i have a limited knowledge of cars so am relying on you guys for the answers!

so here goes . . .

i've been wanting to do a brake conversion on the rear of my Focus for a while now, swapping from the ghey/underperforming drums i currently have, swapping them for a set of disk brakes off another Focus, either ST170 or a TDCI, but im coming up short on wheather or not i can use ones that have come from a car fitted with ABS as mine hasnt got it, and trying to find a set of non ABS callipers is proving to be harder than finding rocking horse shit! well for a decent price anyway.

Noilly Pratt
03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Is there any other Ford you could pirate them off of? Maybe a slightly bigger Ford than the Focus has the same braking system. (Is it called a Mondeo over there?)

KevinD
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Tank, on your question, everything I have ever read tells me the putting abs style hubs on a car that DOES NOT have ABS, is just fine (as long as everything else lines up correctly) I'm not super familiar with your particular model of vehicle, but I have my self put an entire ABS rear end, including the newer disk brakes in an older non-ABS car with no problems whatsoever. I will add that if you are going from drums to disk, you will need a new ,preferably adjustable, proportional valve to direct the proper higher pressure to the new rear disks. You may be able to get by with the factory prop valve off the car you get the disks from.

KevinD
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
This may help you with more info:

http://www.trackcarz.com/t22-rear-drum-to-disc-conversion-focus-mk1-15

Tank
03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Is there any other Ford you could pirate them off of? Maybe a slightly bigger Ford than the Focus has the same braking system. (Is it called a Mondeo over there?)

yep it is a Mondeo, i've thought about it but have been seeing a lot of complete rear subframes on ebay/breaker sites so was thinking its easier to just swap the whole rear beam over than just the callipers and parts. :-k

Tank, on your question, everything I have ever read tells me the putting abs style hubs on a car that DOES NOT have ABS, is just fine (as long as everything else lines up correctly) I'm not super familiar with your particular model of vehicle, but I have my self put an entire ABS rear end, including the newer disk brakes in an older non-ABS car with no problems whatsoever. I will add that if you are going from drums to disk, you will need a new ,preferably adjustable, proportional valve to direct the proper higher pressure to the new rear disks. You may be able to get by with the factory prop valve off the car you get the disks from.

ive been looking on different websites and been getting mixed answers on the subject, i know loads of people have done the swap with either a profesional set up, which is megga bucks, or have swaped to bigger brake setups from their original disks. i've not yet come across a post by someone who has actually done it to say definitively yes it can be done.

cheers for the comments tho Kevin i'll keep them in mind, i dont intend to carry out the work myself but have a local garage i use do it, but they are not much more help on the subject, i can understand their scetchy answers as at the end of the day if they say yes and do it and it turns out it was a bad idea then they are liable for whatever goes wrong!

This may help you with more info:

http://www.trackcarz.com/t22-rear-drum-to-disc-conversion-focus-mk1-15

i'l take a look at that later :tup:

don't care
03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
right i intend this thread to be the place were fellow gearheads can go to ask stuff about things they need help with when it comes to motors and everything associated with them. . . . . .

i am however being a little cheeky here as i have a limited knowledge of cars so am relying on you guys for the answers!

so here goes . . .

i've been wanting to do a brake conversion on the rear of my Focus for a while now, swapping from the ghey/underperforming drums i currently have, swapping them for a set of disk brakes off another Focus, either ST170 or a TDCI, but im coming up short on wheather or not i can use ones that have come from a car fitted with ABS as mine hasnt got it, and trying to find a set of non ABS callipers is proving to be harder than finding rocking horse shit! well for a decent price anyway.

I presuming you have a 99my focus.

it dosn't matter if the hubs you are fitting have abs, they fit to the suspension the same way (you will have to get the whole hub assy not just the wheel bearing carrier)

Hugh_Janus
03-10-2011, 01:36 AM
yes

list of bits:

discs
pads
callipers
hub assemblies
disc backplate
brake flexi pipes
handbrake cables
and obviously all related bolts, washers and fluid

Tank
03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I presuming you have a 99my focus.

it dosn't matter if the hubs you are fitting have abs, they fit to the suspension the same way (you will have to get the whole hub assy not just the wheel bearing carrier)

yep, mines a 2000 reg, from looking at other models only 2litre and teh Diesel models came fitted with rear disk, untill ford intoduced the ST in 2002 with the facelift models.

yes

list of bits:

discs
pads
callipers
hub assemblies
disc backplate
brake flexi pipes
handbrake cables
and obviously all related bolts, washers and fluid

thats the shopping list!!

like i said i'm trying to get a whole rear end assembly for it, cos as i see it all that needs doing then is changing over some cables/lines!?

FBD
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Tank just go find one at a junkyard that had the front end stuffed bad, take the whole farkin rear axle :thumbsup: