PDA

View Full Version : Drug cmpanies suppress unfavorable research data.

JoeyB
01-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Make of it what you will.

Drug research, even from clinical trials sponsored by the federal government, is routinely suppressed, according to a new study in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), an international peer-reviewed medical publication. The study found that less than half of all NIH-funded clinical drug trials were published in a medical journal within two and a half years of the trial’s completion—with fully one-third of trial results remaining unpublished even four years after the trial. Why? Because the drug manufacturers didn’t like the data.

One example cited in the study was the FDA-approved diabetes drug Avandia, which in 2007 was found to increase heart attacks and cardiovascular deaths—even though the drug’s maker, GlaxoSmithKline, had known about the risk before the drug was approved. The BMJ study found that 35 of the drug’s 42 clinical studies had never been published, and were obtained only because a court case required the pharmaceutical company to turn over the data.

Not only does this irresponsible practice harm patients, it also increases healthcare costs. Eugene Carragee, a Stanford University orthopedic surgeon and editor-in-chief of the Spine Journal, spearheaded an unprecedented independent analysis showing that the medical device manufacturer Medtronic—not to mention a circle of orthopedic surgeons who received millions of dollars in royalties from the company—systematically failed to report serious complications with Medtronic’s bone-growth stimulating back surgery device known as Infuse. The results of a crucial clinical trial of the product were not published until nearly five years after the trial had to be halted because unwanted bone was growing around the spines of the trial volunteers.

For two years, Schering-Plough, the maker of the popular cholesterol drug Vytorin, sat on the results of a clinical trial showing that the drug provided no benefit in improving artery health. During that time, the drug was heavily marketed to consumers in TV ads; the marketing was only halted in 2008 after a congressional investigation was launched.

In 2003, a clinical trial of Multaq, a drug that treated cardiac arrhythmias, was stopped because more patients who were getting the drug were dying than those who received a placebo—though the study results weren’t published until five years later. Even so, the drug was approved by the FDA in 2009 as a treatment for atrial fibrillation in certain patients—just not as a means to reduce deaths!

Why does FDA approve drugs whose data have been suppressed by the manufacturer? Is it because FDA depends on Big Pharma for its budget—and needs drug companies to hire former FDA employees. The Wall Street Journal reported that FDA advisers, in a recent vote, said the benefits of four popular Bayer AG birth control pills outweigh the blood clot risk. What the FDA didn’t disclose is that three of the advisers have had ties to Bayer, serving as consultants, speakers, or researchers!

Despite the FDA’s bias in favor of drugs and against supplements, there are tremendous shortages of some drugs. This drug shortage prompts some hospitals to engage in price gouging, so a drug that usually costs $26 is being offered for $1,200. Moreover, the FDA artificially inflates drug prices—especially generic drug prices, which should be far lower than they are—as we have reported previously.

The shortage in the US drug market also makes foreign counterfeit drugs more popular. Recently, some 65 million counterfeit pills were seized in China; no word yet on how many of them had already made their way to the US.

deebakes
01-18-2012, 12:55 AM
and this is surprising? :-k

Shady
01-18-2012, 02:26 AM
I just read an article a few days ago about how the guy who made a "breakthrough" discovery of how healthy resveratrol, a substance found in grape skins, was ended up faking a bunch of his results. I can't recall if he had been pressured by pharma companies or a desire to sell his research. Either way, red wine is no longer as healthy as some people and companies have been led to believe.

Hal-9000
01-18-2012, 02:31 AM
I just read an article a few days ago about how the guy who made a "breakthrough" discovery of how healthy resveratrol, a substance found in grape skins, was ended up faking a bunch of his results. I can't recall if he had been pressured by pharma companies or a desire to sell his research. Either way, red wine is no longer as healthy as some people and companies have been led to believe.

I read a similar article about the health benefits of grapefruit.(I could never eat those things, rot my guts out)

In a strange coincidence, grapefruit was NOT to be eaten while I was on some of my pain meds.So it has powerful properties, question is - are they beneficial or another load of crap perpetrated by the media?

deebakes
01-18-2012, 03:05 AM

i know this dude personally... he always seemed like he was pressing things that others didn't think fit the scientific rigor...

JoeyB
01-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Shit really? For the last few days I was actually thinking about taking up the occasional glass of red wine for the heart benefits...talk about bizarre timing.

and this is surprising? :-k

No it's not, anything but actually. But some people persist in believing that pharmaceutical corporations are honest. But like all corporations they will do anything for a buck. It's actually profitable to sell these new drugs at an outrageous price, then pay off the people they injure. Think about that, even after the lawsuits, they make money on these dangerous drugs.

Shady
01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Resveratrol researcher faked data, report says; what drives academic fraud?

January 12, 2012|By Amina Khan, Los Angeles Times / For the Booster Shots blog

A University of Connecticut researcher who worked on the health benefits of a chemical in red wine fabricated data in 145 separate research projects, a three-year investigation has found.

University officials have notified 11 scientific journal studies co-authored by Dipak Das, whose work focused on whether resveratrol -- an antioxidant found in grape skin -- can prevent coronary heart disease or kill cancer cells, according to the Boston Herald.

Resveratrol has been linked to these benefits in a number of studies -- just recently, Times health writer Melissa Healy explained a study that showed obese men who took resveratrol in high doses saw their metabolic function improve and evidence of inflammation fall -- almost as if they were becoming more "athletic" without raising a single dumbbell.

But Healy has also written about the hype around resveratrol. "The marketing frenzy surrounding resveratrol is a prime example of how science can be distorted when it is mingled with hope, amplified for buzz and spun for profit," she wrote in a 2009 piece that took a critical look at the relative lack of solid science surrounding the antioxidant.

Those same pressures to market successful results also seem to appear during the process of the actual research.

"If you are blatantly honest about your failures, you will get nowhere," David Rowe, director of the Center for Regenerative Medicine and Skeletal Development at the university's health center, told the Boston Herald. "The fact is that reviewing agencies want success. Therefore you spin your data in the most favorable way. That’s where the dangers begin to come - that you spin it a little more than you can justify and then one thing leads to another. It’s a very mushy, very fuzzy line."

In fact, as I wrote in a story on Dutch social psychologist Diederik Stapel, who was found to have falsified dozens of papers over several years, questionable research practices may be more commonplace than thought.

In a study to be published in the journal Psychological Science, researchers surveyed more than 2,000 psychologists and found that many said they had engaged in potentially unsavory practices, including selectively reporting studies that 'worked' (50%) and yes, even outright falsification of data (1.7%).

The problem with these practices, study coauthor and Carnegie Mellon professor George Loewenstein said, was that many such practices fall into a defensible gray area, which allows researchers to justify their actions.

As general a problem as it may be in academia, the details of the case actually start to sound a lot like the case of Stapel himself. Like Das, he was also in a position of authority while he faked at least some of the data. A report detailing the deceptions detailed how Stapel would compartmentalize work in an effort to keep his research partners in the dark.

Unlike Stapel's case, however, there appear to be several researchers who were aware, and even complicit, in the faking of data in Das' studies.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/12/news/la-dipak-das-resveratrol-diederik-stapel-20120112

FBD
01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Falsifying data? The guy should have had the author of "shit my dad says" as a father - dude fudged data when he was in grade school and his pops made him get up in front of the entire class and explain exactly what happened, that he slacked and didnt do his tests, then figured it would be okay to just make up data, apologized for...basically blaspheming the scientific method.

I know a few others who should be doing the same *cough*Mann*cough*Hansen*cough*Jones*cough*

Tried some decent doses of reservatrol. Any effect was rather hard to determine just what it even was, although it surely didnt feel bad. On the whole I didnt feel much different when I ran out of the shit. Never bothered trying any more - you'll get way more noticeable effect out of centrum performance or something, but then again I dont think a lot of this stuff really manifests outwardly all that much.

Acid Trip
01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Falsifying data? The guy should have had the author of "shit my dad says" as a father - dude fudged data when he was in grade school and his pops made him get up in front of the entire class and explain exactly what happened, that he slacked and didnt do his tests, then figured it would be okay to just make up data, apologized for...basically blaspheming the scientific method.

I know a few others who should be doing the same *cough*Mann*cough*Hansen*cough*Jones*cough*

Tried some decent doses of reservatrol. Any effect was rather hard to determine just what it even was, although it surely didnt feel bad. On the whole I didnt feel much different when I ran out of the shit. Never bothered trying any more - you'll get way more noticeable effect out of centrum performance or something, but then again I dont think a lot of this stuff really manifests outwardly all that much.

Perpetuating the global warming myth is far more lucrative than red wine & pharmaceuticals yet few people believe that global warming scientists would falsify data.

How convenient.

FBD
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah, we need to spend a couple trillion to prevent a few hundredths of a degree over the next 35 years, but then the AGWers turn around and say "follow the money" :lol: to which we reply "yes, please do - and be honest about what you find."

Muddy
01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
I read a similar article about the health benefits of grapefruit.(I could never eat those things, rot my guts out)

In a strange coincidence, grapefruit was NOT to be eaten while I was on some of my pain meds.So it has powerful properties, question is - are they beneficial or another load of crap perpetrated by the media?

I looooove grapefruit, but the acid kills me....

JoeyB
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Perpetuating the global warming myth is far more lucrative than red wine & pharmaceuticals yet few people believe that global warming scientists would falsify data.

How convenient.

When you talk about the 'global warming myth', it makes you sound like a lunatic.

I looooove grapefruit, but the acid kills me....

For some reason that made me imagine your breakfast as a scene out of the movie 'Aliens', your eating grapefruit as being something akin to the marines getting doused with acidic blood.

Acid Trip
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
When you talk about the 'global warming myth', it makes you sound like a lunatic.

For some reason that made me imagine your breakfast as a scene out of the movie 'Aliens', your eating grapefruit as being something akin to the marines getting doused with acidic blood.

If seeing that global temperatures have not risen (as we were told), warming has not continued (as we were told), and that the Earth has gone through several ice ages (and melts) in the past is lunacy then by all means call me a lunatic.

Explain this graph since you know so much. Several times in Earth's past the CO2 level has gone up and down and temperatures did not follow. The entire global warming theory is based on CO2 trapping heat and increasing temperatures or going away and cooling follows. This graph debunks that theory completely. Even Deep won't argue with it.

http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/images/co2-levels-over-time.jpg

JoeyB
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Explain this graph since you know so much. Several times in Earth's past the CO2 level has gone up and down and temperatures did not follow. The entire global warming theory is based on CO2 trapping heat and increasing temperatures or going away and cooling follows. This graph debunks that theory completely. Even Deep won't argue with it.

Do you also have some magical graph that demonstrates how the world is flat?

deebakes
01-19-2012, 03:39 AM
:bong: