PDA

View Full Version : The MPAA Says Blackout Protests Are an Abuse of Power

Teh One Who Knocks
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Gizmodo

http://i.imgur.com/BWfa4.jpg

Today huge sites like Wikipedia and Reddit will "blackout" in protest of SOPA, and the MPAA doesn't like the behavior of these "technology business interests" one bit.

The statement comes down from none other than MPAA Chairman and former Senator from Connecticut Chris Dodd:

It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on them for information and use their services. It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.

Even if this is really only an obligatory posturing statement from the monolithic organization, it's almost laughably heavy-handed and hyperbolic. As private enterprises, Wikipedia and Reddit have the right to exercise free speech the same way as anyone else. More importantly, though, it's awfully brazen of the MPAA to accuse the sites of inhibiting access to information when SOPA is essentially a pro-censorship bill.

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
:roll:

Like the MPAA or Sony or any corporation suing an individual has the room to talk.

Fuck off.

Acid Trip
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
It's abuse of power, racism, and anti-women's rights. If the MPAA is going to make shit up they might as well go all the way.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-18-2012, 03:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BpNlP.png

Google's home page today

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I've been there several times already today looking to do a search for some information I needed.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
:facepalm: maybe we think SOPA is an abuse of power

Godfather
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I've been there several times already today looking to do a search for some information I needed.

Same, and I miss Wikipedia already too :lol:

Richard Cranium
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Chris Dodd should be in prison

Muddy
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
WWJD?

FBD
01-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Toss Chris Dodd in prison, of course :lol:

samarchepas
01-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Same, and I miss Wikipedia already too :lol:

Wikipedia was not blocked...they just put a script over it, all you had to do is use Greasemonkey and use a script to take it off BTW its back to normal now.Makes you think though, if one of those bills pass...the Internet will be back to stone age.

deebakes
01-19-2012, 05:38 AM
WWJD?

better question, what would al gore do? :-k

Shady
01-19-2012, 06:41 AM
And media companies using their money and lobbyist to have congress consider a bill censoring the last true bastion of free speech isn't an abuse of power...

Godfather
01-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Wikipedia was not blocked...they just put a script over it, all you had to do is use Greasemonkey and use a script to take it off BTW its back to normal now.Makes you think though, if one of those bills pass...the Internet will be back to stone age.

Ya I saw that but if I'm at all for this bill not passing I'm not going to do that :P

samarchepas
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Ya I saw that but if I'm at all for this bill not passing I'm not going to do that :P

They put how to do it on the page...they just made the point on it without blacking it out completely...bunch of elderly people voting on something they will never understand...could go REALLY bad (Most of them probably don't know how DNS blocking works for example )

FBD
01-19-2012, 12:37 PM
better question, what would al gore do? :-k

given who his wife is...he'd censor it until the globe cooled.

deebakes
01-20-2012, 04:32 AM
i've heard that the globe is cooling :-k

;)