PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Kinect 'fastest-selling device on record'

redred
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Microsoft has sold more than 10 million Kinect sensor systems since launch on 4 November, and - according to Guinness World Records - is the fastest-selling consumer electronics device on record.
The sales figures outstrip those of both Apple's iPhone and iPad when launched, Guinness said.
Kinect is an infrared camera add-on for Microsoft's Xbox 360 games console that allows it to track body movements.
The success of Kinect has also helped to drive games sales, Microsoft said.
More than 10 million games have been sold worldwide to date, it added.
Gaz Davies, editor of Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer's Edition, said: "We can confirm that no other consumer electronics device sold faster within a 60-day time span, an incredible achievement considering the strength of the sector."
Guinness World Records said that Microsoft sold eight million devices between 4 November last year and 3 January at an average rate of 133,333 a day.
Despite the strong sales of Kinect, in January Microsoft reported profits of $6.63bn (£4.1bn) for the last three months of 2010, down from $6.66bn a year earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12697975

PorkChopSandwiches
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
wow.

Godfather
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
I would never have guessed :-k

I tried it once and it was pretty fuggin fun... but I thought there was a serious lack of games for it, and more importantly I don't know anyone who has bought it :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I dont know anyone with it ether, never seen one in person. But, I have seen a bunch of iphones

AntZ
03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
and more importantly I don't know anyone who has bought it :lol:

That's because their parents refused when they asked them for the money! :lol:

:nana:

samarchepas
03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Lets just say that my name will NEVER be in that record :D...too much "family friendly" games..can't really blame them though...imagine playing a FPS without a controller....:rofl:

Godfather
03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I think it'd be cool to play an RTS on one if it's sensitive enough :-k You'd feel like god commanding the troops :lol: