PDA

View Full Version : Be the BC finance minister! - balance the budget

Noilly Pratt
01-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Here's your chance to play with the figures and be BC's finance minister. Balance our budget by 2013...

http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/mybcbudget/

Here's what the local media did - set all departments to lower by 2%, tax the smokers high and they balanced it... Global TV - couldn't imbed,

Godfather
01-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Dude did you see the article about the MP's fuggin' pensions?!? How bout we chop those things by 80% as a starting point

JoeyB
01-21-2012, 06:52 AM
2% may not sound like much, but it is.

Noilly Pratt
01-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Agree with you regarding the pensions, GF. Those golden handshakes are killer!

As a former provincial government worker (in the IT section for about 15 years) I saw so much waste where one office got all new computers when they really didn't need them, then an office trying to design structures using ancient versions of AutoCAD on long-outdated PCs.

There should be an equity and fairness ombudsman who goes from ministry to ministry outlining these...you could save literally millions. I made a system in dBase to keep track of inventory...then they decide i has to be a Big Project, so 1 mil later they had a system that ultra complex and quite unfriendly, and I'm left holding the bag to troubleshoot, because they can't afford the contractor back!

Godfather
01-21-2012, 07:31 AM
For sure Noilly

That's fun to play with... the Corporate tax needs to decrease to encourage business. That's one thing the Left can't seem to understand. Our fuel taxes are out of control too. We pay just a disgusting amount here in Van for gas.

Realistically though... just go and drop 2% off Health Care and say Fuck You to our shitty transit and we're laughing.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/oodzP.png

Wait, wait, wait....according to Deep, countries like Canada pay waaaaaaaay less in healthcare costs than the United States. According to that graph, healthcare is (approximately) 45% of the BC budget :wtf:

Godfather
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
That's just our own provincial budget, there's also the much larger federal budget that evens out that graph. (the division of who pays for what in Canada is complicated) :lol:

Overall, 10% of our GDP goes towards full health care for 100% of the population... whereas I've read that in the US, 17% of the GDP provides healthcare for only 85% of the population?