PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut police officer fights for answers after being told his life-saving attempt not 'related' to work

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2012, 11:54 AM
By Joshua Rhett Miller - Fox News

http://i.imgur.com/zDyxo.jpg

A Connecticut police officer who tried in vain to save the life of a dying 10-year-old boy -- only to be notified by city officials that his heroic effort was not part of his job -- met Friday with city officials who promised to clarify the notice, FoxNews.com has learned.

New Britain Police Officer Frank Barbagiovanni met with Mayor Tim O'Brien after local media reported on the notice the officer received from city attorneys in connection to a Nov. 11 incident in Barbagiovanni tried to revive the boy, who later died at an area hospital.

The notice, Barbagiovanni said, indicated that the incident was not "causally related to a work-related condition" and that city officials would contest workers compensation if he applied for it.

Phil Sherwood, O'Brien's communications director, told FoxNews.com that said city officials are now in the process of crafting a response to Barbagiovanni that will justify the "legal rationale" as to why the initial notice indicated that rescue efforts weren't part of his job, though it remains unclear how the city would rule on a potential workers compensation claim.

Barbagiovanni replied to the initial notice in December -- a three-page response that also went to O'Brien, his police union and Chief William Gagliardi -- and had not received a response until local media outlets began reporting on the matter.

"I never got word from anybody," Barbagiovanni told FoxNews.com on Friday. "Nothing -- now all of sudden they wanted to meet with me today."

Barbagiovanni, 33, said O'Brien personally apologized to him and that he regretted the delay on behalf of city attorneys. The married, six-year veteran of the department said he's now waiting for a second notice to clarify that he'd be covered if he contracts any communicable diseases after being exposed to vomit during efforts to resuscitate the boy.

"It's still unresolved," he said. "But I feel the same way as I did when I first started [the job]. You do get to help people out, and I like that. But now I'm a little nervous about whether the people in City Hall are going to back me up or back anybody else up. It just gets you a little nervous."

Barbagiovanni continued: "Now that people know about it, I feel they're going to do the right thing and squash it. That's all I've been asking for -- cover me if, God forbid, something happens in the future."

Barbagiovanni has not claimed any medical benefits, and blood tests have indicated he is in good health. Another blood test will be given in three months, he said.

Sherwood told FoxNews.com following the 30-minute meeting that Barbagiovanni should be recognized for being a "quintessential" public servant.

"It's not city policy and it's not going to be city policy that CPR is not part of a police officer's duties," Sherwood said. "What should have happened and didn't happen is that the officer asked for a response (from the city) and didn't get one."

Sherwood said Barbagiovanni did "everything appropriate" and acted courageously when he tried to revive the boy until responding paramedics took over.

"We're sorry that he's essentially been traumatized for a second time," he said. "Not getting a simple response back from bureaucrats is not how the city wants to conduct itself."

Barbagiovanni, for his part, said he would not hesitate to attempt to saving another person's life despite the "stress" of the entire ordeal.

"Otherwise, I'd work another job," he said. "A human wouldn't let another human sit down on the floor and die. I'd definitely do it again. You expect the city to back you up, that's why you take chances."

FBD
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
So basically he should have called and gotten permission to perform CPR??? WTF?! DAMN this state is fucked up. When you are trained in CPR, IT IS YOUR DUTY TO PERFORM IT WHEN IT IS NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!

deebakes
01-21-2012, 03:27 PM
:shrug:

MrsM
01-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I think this is BS - all the city is doing is making their first responders to second guess their training and instincts when put in that situation.

Can you imagine if that was your child and cop just stood there and said "that's not my job"... just sad

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I think this is BS - all the city is doing is making their first responders to second guess their training and instincts when put in that situation.

Can you imagine if that was your child and cop just stood there and said "that's not my job"... just sad

You know what makes this worse? All you ever usually hear about in the news are the bad cops when they do something wrong and are caught doing it. Here's a cop that truly believes in what he is doing and tried to save the life of a little boy. You would think the city would love the good press (even though unfortunately the kid died anyway, but still)....so what do they do instead? Throw him under the bus so they won't have to maybe pay a workman's compensation claim if he gets sick (and that's a big if).

MrsM
01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
You know what makes this worse? All you ever usually hear about in the news are the bad cops when they do something wrong and are caught doing it. Here's a cop that truly believes in what he is doing and tried to save the life of a little boy. You would think the city would love the good press (even though unfortunately the kid died anyway, but still)....so what do they do instead? Throw him under the bus so they won't have to maybe pay a workman's compensation claim if he gets sick (and that's a big if).

Yep - it's not like he's looking for a payout now... besides I'm sure the city would fight if he ever did put in a claim in the future. Just bad decisions on the city's part

Godfather
01-21-2012, 04:34 PM
So basically he should have called and gotten permission to perform CPR??? WTF?! DAMN this state is fucked up. When you are trained in CPR, IT IS YOUR DUTY TO PERFORM IT WHEN IT IS NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you could get it a LOT of shit if you were certified to do this kind of thing and didn't help. :wha:

What a fucked up story

Richard Cranium
01-21-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.courant.com/community/new-britain/hc-new-britain-cpr-0121-20120120,0,3254851.story

Goofy
01-21-2012, 11:13 PM
DAMN this state is fucked up.

Not just the state, the entire world is fucked up :| I had to perform CPR myself a couple of years ago on a friend.......... kept them alive until the ambulance arrived but sadly he was pronounced DOA at the hospital :( There's no way i was standing back and letting him lie there while i made some phone calls......

JoeyB
01-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Not just the state, the entire world is fucked up :| I had to perform CPR myself a couple of years ago on a friend.......... kept them alive until the ambulance arrived but sadly he was pronounced DOA at the hospital :( There's no way i was standing back and letting him lie there while i made some phone calls......

Damn dude, sorry about your friend. It's tragic how often CPR makes no difference, but what you did was cool!

Muddy
01-22-2012, 12:04 AM

Wow! Nice work even though he didnt make it....