PDA

View Full Version : MPAA Directly & Publicly Threatens Politicians Who Aren't Corrupt Enough To Stay Bought

Pony
01-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Reinforcing the fact that Chris Dodd really does not get what's happening, and showing just how disgustingly corrupt the MPAA relationship is with politicians, Chris Dodd went on Fox News to explicitly threaten politicians who accept MPAA campaign donations that they'd better pass Hollywood's favorite legislation... or else:

"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake,"

This certainly follows what many people assumed was happening, and fits with the anonymous comments from studio execs that they will stop contributing to Obama, but to be so blatant about this kind of corruption and money-for-laws politics in the face of an extremely angry public is a really, really, really tone deaf response from Dodd.

It shows, yet again, that he just doesn't get it. People were protesting not just because of the content of these bills, but because of the corrupt process of big industries like Dodd's "buying" politicians and "buying" laws. To then come out and make that threat explicit isn't a way to fix things or win back the public. It's just going to get them more upset, and to recognize just how corrupt this process is. If Dodd, as he said in yesterday's NY Times, really wanted to turn things around and come to a more reasonable result, this is exactly how not to do it. It shows, yet again, a DC-insider's mindset. He used Fox News to try to "send a message" to politicians. But the internet already sent a much louder message... and, even worse for Dodd, he bizarrely sent his message in a way that everyone who's already fed up with this kind of corruption can see it too. It really makes you wonder what he's thinking and how someone so incompetent at this could keep his job.

Full article here (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120120/14472117492/mpaa-directly-publicly-threatens-politicians-who-arent-corrupt-enough-to-stay-bought.shtml)

Related article:
Consumer group accuses Hollywood of 'threatening politicians' (http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/205491-consumer-group-accuses-hollywood-of-threatening-politicians)

Consumer group Public Knowledge on Friday accused the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and its head, former Sen. Chris Dodd, of trying to intimidate lawmakers into supporting a pair of controversial anti-piracy bills.

In recent days, Dodd and other top Hollywood figures have threatened to cut off campaign donations to politicians who do not support their effort to crackdown on online copyright infringement.

"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake," Dodd said on Fox News on Thursday.

"Threats like that are no way to conduct the serious, sober discussions needed to figure out exactly what ails the movie industry and to come up with solutions," Harold Feld, legal director of Public Knowledge, said in a statement. "It was Hollywood’s arrogance in pushing bills through Congress without proper vetting that caused them to be withdrawn; these threats also are not helpful to figuring out what ails the industry and how to solve their issues. As the Blackout Day showed, that type of thinking is how the old politics works."

The MPAA, along with the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, have been lobbying hard for Congress to pass the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act.

But congressional leaders shelved the bills on Friday after thousands of websites staged an unprecedented protest earlier in the week.

Petition to investigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/investigate-chris-dodd-and-mpaa-bribery-after-he-publicly-admited-bribing-politicans-pass/DffX0YQv?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
If people are paying attention, he won't get reelected.

Edit: My bad. He isn't even in Congress anymore. Maybe I should pay more attention. :lol:

Pony
01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
If people are paying attention, he won't get reelected.

Edit: My bad. He isn't even in Congress anymore. :lol:

Yea, former congressman who was bought, paid for and then hired to run the MPAA.

IMO it's everything that is wrong with our "democracy". Even the Primarys that are going on now are 99% about who has the money to back them. I heard Ron Paul isn't going to Florida because of funding issues. It's a really sad state of affairs when out future president is determined not by who the best candidate is but by who can afford to run the longest, kiss enough corporate ass and you get a more powerful seat in government.

Loser
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Fuck hollywood, they are going broke and are blaming it on piracy. Piracy has nothing to do with it.

STOP MAKING SHITTY FILMS!!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Dodd's an idiot, always had been, always will be.

Have you heard him talk about piracy now that he's with the MPAA? Way to pull numbers out of his ass :roll:

Fuck hollywood, they are going broke and are blaming it on piracy. Piracy has nothing to do with it.

STOP MAKING SHITTY FILMS!!!!

This ^^

How about an original idea every now and again. No, instead let's just keep remaking movies :roll:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
They have a new bill now called OPEN that looks to be about as bad as SOPA and PIPA or whatever the hell they're both called. I don't think they're getting it.

Muddy
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Dodd's an idiot, always had been, always will be.

Have you heard him talk about piracy now that he's with the MPAA? Way to pull numbers out of his ass :roll:

This ^^

How about an original idea every now and again. No, instead let's just keep remaking movies :roll:

I miss the big movies from back in the day like 'Gunga Din'..

Pony
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Added petition to investigate Dodd.

samarchepas
01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
They have a new bill now called OPEN that looks to be about as bad as SOPA and PIPA or whatever the hell they're both called. I don't think they're getting it.
:facepalm:
http://i39.tinypic.com/14uaolc.jpg

FBD
01-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I love how hollywood is making threats. Dont you fking people realize that what happened to the music industry is now happening to you too? the common folk now have the tools necessary to make their own damn movies, your extravagant days are numbered now that your monopoly is in dire straits.

DemonGeminiX
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Did you guys see the number of signatures on this petition? At the rate it's being signed, they'll have all of the signatures they need by tomorrow.

:lol:

Pony
01-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Did you guys see the number of signatures on this petition? At the rate it's being signed, they'll have all of the signatures they need by tomorrow.

:lol:

It was at about 5000 when I signed it yesterday. Closing in on 25,000 now. :tup:

DemonGeminiX
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, they have all the signatures they were after. Let's see if anything actually happens.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, they have all the signatures they were after. Let's see if anything actually happens.

Nothing will...just like with every other petition at that White House site. They will release a statement saying thanks for everyone's concern, but we don't see enough evidence to pursue the matter yada yada yada....

Acid Trip
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Nothing will...just like with every other petition at that White House site. They will release a statement saying thanks for everyone's concern, but we don't see enough evidence to pursue the matter yada yada yada....

Exactly. Getting a Democrat White House to investigate a long time Democrat Senator? Not going to happen.