PDA

View Full Version : Westboro Baptist to Protest at Paterno Funeral

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Reviled church extends protest from slain Marines to venerable football coach
By Greg Wilson - NBC Bay Area

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8209/2009paternoclose.jpg

The infamous Westboro Baptist Church, known for its unwelcome appearances at the funerals of dead Marines, plans to picket the burial of legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.

Paterno died Sunday at age 85 after battling lung cancer. His final months were compounded by the unwinding child sex scandal involving his former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky. He was fired Nov. 9, and questions have swirled about whether he did enough to stop Sandusky.

Tributes have poured in for him, from such luminaries at Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett, and Nittany Lions fans have closed ranks around their storied coach of more than 40 years. But the Kansas-based church, which has outraged families of fallen soldiers, in a bizarre effort to protest gays in the military, said it will be on hand at Paterno's funeral.

Westboro Pastor Fred Phelps' daughter, Margie, tweeted the church's intentions.

"'Penn State Penn Rape' rings in Joe Paterno's ears in hell. He partook of sin for fame & fortune. Worth NOTHING to him now. #PicketFuneral," she tweeted. "Stop pimping out your kids to raping coaches @CollegeFootball! WBC must picket Paterno funeral."

In a schedule released by a family spokesman, the first public viewing will be held Tuesday, a 10-hour session starting at 1 p.m. at the Pasquerilla Spiritual Center on the Penn State campus. Another viewing will take place for four hours Wednesday starting at 8 a.m. A private funeral service is scheduled for 2 p.m. that day.

Finally, a memorial service will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. at the Jordan Center, the basketball arena next to Beaver Stadium.

DemonGeminiX
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I had the most horrible thought when I first heard about this. I thought "the protest in front of JoePa's funeral would be a really good time for a few crazy students to completely lose it and go on a killing spree".

MrsM
01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I hope the students rally and protest the church. get a few hundred kids to completely drown out the church protesters. The kids could make signs putting down the church and completely surround them so they can't really be seen or heard.

Killing spree would work as well

Muddy
01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Well at least they appear to be picketing a worthy cause this time around...

Joebob034
01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
does anyone care about these lunatics anymore?

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 10:25 PM

Did anyone ever care?

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I do.The Westy Baptists give Christians everywhere a bad name.Case in point, yes Paterno was accused of child molesting.

Ever hear the one about the priest and the alter boy?........

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I do.The Westy Baptists give Christians everywhere a bad name.Case in point, yes Paterno was accused of child molesting.

Actually he wasn't...he's just accused of 'ignoring' the fact that someone on his staff was molesting kids.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
aaahhhh I see

turning the other cheek so to speak

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Exactly :thumbsup:

He swears he didn't know and others say how could he not have known...

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
It's almost like saying that Tom Landry back in the day didn't know his Cowboys were doing coke in the locker room....would it be something you'd advertise to the big cheese, whether it be drug use or boy buggering?

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Did anyone ever care?

No, you are definitely right in that aspect. I simply meant I don't think anyone ever cared about the messages this group was sending. As a Christian, there are a lot of groups that freak me the fuck out...the Southern Baptists with their love of war and perplexing racism jump out, but the list is long.

Actually he wasn't...he's just accused of 'ignoring' the fact that someone on his staff was molesting kids.

I'm bothered by the mass assumption he must have known. Why do people jump to that conclusion? They shouldn't crucify the guy without any supporting evidence.

Joebob034
01-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Exactly :thumbsup:

He swears he didn't know and others say how could he not have known...

cuz he was senile