PDA

View Full Version : Star goalie snubs White House

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
By Tom Cohen, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/XQuET.jpg

Washington (CNN) -- Opposed to what he called the "out of control" growth of the federal government, Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas declined an invitation to join his teammates at the White House on Monday.

The award-winning Thomas, who last year led the Bruins to the Stanley Cup championship emblematic of National Hockey League supremacy, was one of three players missing when President Barack Obama met with the team to offer congratulations.

According to a story on the team's website, www.bostonbruins.com, Thomas "opted out" of the White House visit. One of the other missing players was injured, and the third now plays for another team, according to the website story.

A statement by the 37-year-old Thomas posted Monday on the team website said he opposed the "out of control" growth of the federal government that threatened "the rights, liberties, and property of the people."

"This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the federal government," the statement said. "Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

The statement ended by saying: "This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic." It concluded with the initials "TT."

Thomas is an NHL all star who last season won the Vezina Trophy as the league's top goalie and the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

A separate statement by Bruins team president Cam Neely, a former star player for the team, expressed disappointment at the decision by Thomas.

Calling the invitation from Obama an honor, Neely said it was a "great day and a perfect way to cap our team's achievement from last season."

"It was a day that none of us will soon forget," Neely's statement said. "We are disappointed that Tim chose not to join us, and his views certainly do not reflect those of the (Bruins owner Jeremy) Jacobs family or the Bruins organization. This will be the last public comment from the Bruins organization on this subject."

Others who took part in the White House visit described it as a special occasion.

"It's hard to describe because you use the same words over and over again," head coach Claude Julien said, according to the team website. "Honor is at the top of the list, privilege is another one -- humbling. You can go on and on about this. It's unbelievable.

Captain Zdeno Chara, a native of the Slovak Republic, said the chance to meet Obama and hear him mention Chara's name was "a great feeling."

"It was great to be recognized as a team and then obviously as an individual," Chara said. "It's an honor and a privilege to be in that kind of speech."

In remarks to the team and a large group of obvious Bruin supporters gathered for the occasion, including Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, Obama joked about the team's playoff beards -- a tradition from not shaving throughout the Stanley Cup playoffs -- and Chara's 6-foot-9 frame that makes him the league's tallest players.

FBD
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
:thumbsup: Thomas is the man, on and off the ice

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
And when Natalie Maines spoke out against war and Bush, shit hit the fan and people hated her, burned albums, made threats.

Double standards.

But I support his decision to not go to the white house and to voice his opinion, because free speech is the true cornerstone of American freedom.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:03 PM
"Thomas "opted out" of the White House visit"

that's a brave man right there

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I wonder how much he makes each year for playing a recreational sport we all play up here? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 10:09 PM
And when Natalie Maines spoke out against war and Bush, shit hit the fan and people hated her, burned albums, made threats.

Double standards.

But I support his decision to not go to the white house and to voice his opinion, because free speech is the true cornerstone of American freedom.

Natalie Maines insulted George Bush directly by stating that she was embarrassed to be from the same state as he was among other things.

Nowhere in his statement did Tim Thomas insult Obama. You are comparing apples and oranges.

I wonder how much he makes each year for playing a recreational sport we all play up here? :lol:

He's in the 2nd year of a $20 million extension he signed after the 2008/09 season. He is making $5 million this year.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
It's a ballsy public move and I admire it :thumbsup:

FBD
01-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Double standards.

Does it bother you when you misrepresent things and present a false narrative?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 10:49 PM
It's a ballsy public move and I admire it :thumbsup:

Even though I agree with everything Thomas said, I disagree with him not going to the White House. This celebration was a team event to celebrate the Stanley Cup victory. Thomas put himself ahead of the team. There is a time and place for everything and this wasn't the time or place to do this IMHO.

I don't like the President and I hate nearly all his policies, but if I was invited to the White House as part of a group to celebrate something, I would go.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Even though I agree with everything Thomas said, I disagree with him not going to the White House. This celebration was a team event to celebrate the Stanley Cup victory. Thomas put himself ahead of the team. There is a time and place for everything and this wasn't the time or place to do this IMHO.

I don't like the President and I hate nearly all his policies, but if I was invited to the White House as part of a group to celebrate something, I would go.

Didn't expect that, whoa :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
:-k

Well you do have to figure, he may never get the opportunity to go to the White House again.

:shifty:

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
the goalie or Obama? :rofl:

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Team or no team, he is a person and you cannot violate your ethics just to support a sports team. Honestly, what would that say about him and his morality if he checked it at the gate just to be part of a hand shaking ceremony?

Again, I think what he feels about Obama is wrong. But I'm gonna have to go all Voltaire on this and quote: 'I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.'

Godfather
01-25-2012, 03:05 AM

:thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more. He detracted from something that was a huge team event. They won it together, it's a fantastic tradition, and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If you're not going to go, fine, but don't issue that statement. At least not within hours of the celebration. He put himself first.

samarchepas
01-25-2012, 03:34 AM

EXACTLY how I feel! It was a celebration for the team...not for a political debate.I got to say that if I was part of the organisation of the Bruins...he would at least fined for not showing up.

FBD
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM
I dont care what the hell me or my team just won, you wouldnt catch me pasty white and dead shaking Obama's hand. Or appearing in a photo with him. I agree with Joey on the principle, though he's dead wrong on Obama :razz:

MrsM
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm late to this discussion...

I think he still should have went and then released a statement on his views. I agree with those that said that he has put himself before his team.

They were invited to the White House to meet the President where he congratulated the team for their victory... It was not political nor was it Party vs Party discussions.

FBD
01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry, but congratulating a sports team because they won a championship is below a president's pay grade :lol: Politicians should not even be wasting their time on shit like this.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
:roll:

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry, but congratulating a sports team because they won a championship is below a president's pay grade :lol: Politicians should not even be wasting their time on shit like this.

I actually agree with this sentiment. Our elected officials have far better things to do than to waste time having a kodak moment with any championship sports team.

MrsM
01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I actually agree with this sentiment. Our elected officials have far better things to do than to waste time having a kodak moment with any championship sports team.

It probably took less than 20 mins of his time. IMO - it's exactly what he should be doing - he represents the country (if you voted for him or not) and who better to give congrats than him?

A huge part of his job is to be out and shaking hands and rewarding people that do good and represent what is good in America.

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Do you think that the White house flew them all out and put them up somewhere on the taxpayer's dollar? I would assume so and have to agree...

a nice card or plaque signed from the Obamer family would have sufficed

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Do you think that the White house flew them all out and put them up somewhere on the taxpayer's dollar? I would assume so and have to agree...

a nice card or plaque signed from the Obamer family would have sufficed

The Bruins were already in town to play the Capitals that night.

Godfather
01-25-2012, 06:25 PM
The Bruins were already in town to play the Capitals that night.

Exactly.. and that's how it has always been done. Quick photo op with the Cup and POTUS before a game vs. the Washington Capitals. Harmless, nice tradition. The man has 10 minutes, everyone does...

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
He doesn't have 10 seconds!

:x

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Exactly.. and that's how it has always been done. Quick photo op with the Cup and POTUS before a game vs. the Washington Capitals. Harmless, nice tradition. The man has 10 minutes, everyone does...

Yup, every league does it the same way. When they are in town to play either the Caps, Wizards, Redskins, or Nationals, that's when the whole White House ceremony is done.

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
:hand:

They didn't deserve it.

[-(

Acid Trip
01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Whether we like his decision or not it was still his decision to make and he made it.

Should he have gone for this teams sake? Maybe. Should he have made the statement about not going? Probably not.

In the grand scheme of things does it make a difference? Nope.

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
If Obama invited me for a handshake I'd go....yes he screwed the American public with economic policy but how often does a guy get a chance to take a dump in the White House bathroom?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
If Obama invited me for a handshake I'd go....yes he screwed the American public with economic policy but how often does a guy get a chance to take a dump in the White House bathroom?

I'd fart loudly when he was shaking my hand :)

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
In the Oval Office you could ask loudly - Is this the room where presidents get their cocks sucked by interns? Cooool

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
In the Oval Office you could ask loudly - Is this the room where presidents get their cocks sucked by interns? Cooool

:-s

He's not Bill Clinton.

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 10:42 PM

He's not Bill Clinton.

No shit Sherlock, Obama has darker hair

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Man... I'm having a really shitty day with comebacks.

:meh:

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Help me with some anti-cute pics then mate :)

DemonGeminiX
01-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Are you kidding me? I've got a whole hard drive full of cute lined up for you.

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
I still.....hate you with all of my heart and soul

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I still.....hate you with all of my heart and soul

... to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

:-k

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 11:35 PM
pretty much :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPsoxpt0BU

Hal-9000
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
EPIC....Ricardo rules :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 11:45 PM