PDA

View Full Version : New RIM CEO Staying the Course--Time to Jump Ship?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
By Tony Bradley, PCWorld

RIM has shaken up the executive leadership. At face value, that seems like a step in the right direction, but the initial indication from RIM’s new CEO, Thorsten Heins, is that he plans to double down on the failed strategies that got the company where it is today. It might be time for organizations that rely on RIM to start exploring their options.

RIM has gone from dominant market leader to virtually irrelevant in a matter of a couple of years. From the outside, it doesn’t seem like RIM actually has a strategy. But, whatever strategy it has is clearly not working. Suggesting that the current plan is sound is like taking over the Titanic knowing it’s about to hit an iceberg, and consciously deciding to stay the course and see what happens.

Well, RIM, and its employees and shareholders can work all that out. In the meantime, organizations around the world that have built their infrastructure around RIM’s iconic BlackBerry mobile devices may want to at least find a life vest, and figure out the quickest path to the life boats…Just in case.

Whether you jump ship, or buckle in and hang on tight is really a matter of what you want or need from your mobile devices. While RIM has fallen woefully behind the innovation curve, and lacks the sex appeal of the iPhone, Android smartphones, or Windows Phone 7, the core functionality that put BlackBerry on top is still there.

RIM offers a fundamentally sound mobile communications platform. The BlackBerry OS offers better security, and provides IT admins with the tools necessary to enforce policies, and effectively manage mobile devices.

That said, RIM has failed to evolve the BlackBerry OS with the changing mobile landscape. Its attempts after the fact have either failed completely, or been perceived as too little, too late by users who prefer the broader functionality and capabilities of more cutting edge smartphones like the iPhone.

For many organizations, BlackBerry devices still have distinct advantages over rivals, or their weaknesses are at least not enough incentive to walk away from the existing investment in the BlackBerry platform. Consider, though, just how dependent your organization is on that BlackBerry infrastructure, and what the impact might be if RIM ceased to exist.

I am not saying organizations should panic and run for the doors right now. I am just suggesting that organizations start to consider how they might wean off of BlackBerry if they need to, and develop an exit strategy to transition to a different mobile platform with as little disruption to productivity and business processes as possible if the need arises.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
By deciding to "stay the course" they are guaranteeing failure

Godfather
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
If they were going to stay the course they wouldn't have replaced two of the smartest CEO's you could want.

This seems pretty clearly a move to sell. You're not going to announce that to the public though, your shareholders will murder you :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Yet for all the changes he said he wants to make, Heins also said that he plans to continue implementing RIM's current business strategy.

That strategy hasn't paid off in several years. Analysts say RIM's lack of foresight led the company to lose more than half its U.S. market share since the debut of the iPhone.

:roll:

Godfather
01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
There's no way. The shareholders and board obviously demand change. I'm sure some big shake-ups will happen in the next year

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
There's no way. The shareholders and board obviously demand change. I'm sure some big shake-ups will happen in the next year

The next year? By then the iPhone 5 and the next generation of Android phones will be out :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Yea, they dont have a year

Godfather
01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Can't get much worse than their 2011 :lol: What a shit year for a company.

Arkady Renko
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm afraid Blackberry is a one trick pony. Now that a handful of competitor manage the same trick, and maybe even better, it's become redundant. I doubt simply launching a new OS that's as good as Android or iOS won't cut it, they'll need to come up with some new killer feature in order to make a significant improvement. Otherwise they'll remain a niche product.

Godfather
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
This is more in line with my feelings on RIM

Dear RIM: Why the Canadian love affair with BlackBerry isn’t over yet

If RIM’s share price over the past 24 hours is any indication, its attempt to woo investors with a new CEO didn’t go quite according to plan.

But that might not matter to BlackBerry lovers. While competition has chipped away at RIM’s corporate and consumer base, the BlackBerry maker still boasts 75 million subscribers worldwide.

Of the approximately 8 million Canadians with smartphones, 35.8 per cent choose BlackBerry, according to a November 2011 comScore report. That’s higher than both Apple (30.1 per cent) and Google (25 per cent).

While RIM’s market share dropped to 16.6 per cent in the U.S. by November 2011, according to comScore, a BlackBerry launch in Indonesia nearly sparked a riot the same month.

In international markets RIM still has the “cool cachet” that it originally did in North America, said Jen Evans, CEO of digital agency Sequentia Environics.

“Real-time email gave the perception that you were busy, in demand and on the move a lot,” Evans said of BlackBerry’s beginnings. (She got hooked on the device for the email and still uses one, years later.)

But now Canadians are more likely to carry a BlackBerry to rally behind the homegrown company, she said, as RIM tries to play catch up to Apple, Samsung and Android.

“People do brand themselves by the devices that they carry,” Evans said, adding that an early adopter would not carry a BlackBerry.

Loosely, RIM is seen to be professional and serious, where Apple (its top competitor in Canada) implies something young, hip and urban, said Maggie Fox, CEO of Toronto-based Social Media Group.

“Each of those brands has created something emotional that people have connected with,” Fox said. “To a certain extent it’s tribalism.”

Social media amplifies these brand preferences by expanding peoples’ networks and letting them connect with likeminded people around the world, she said, such as Twitter trends #TeamBlackBerry and #TeamiPhone. It’s the way humans have self-organized based on identity for ages, she said – just on a larger scale.

RIM could use these networks to find out real time information on what makes its customers loyal, she said.

A Toronto Star online poll showed the top four reasons readers love BlackBerry to be the QWERTY keyboard, BlackBerry messenger (BBM), security and email encryption, and RIM’s Canadian roots. Readers commented on why they would stay loyal to BlackBerry.

“I am a boomer and have arthritis in my hands. The qwerty keyboard gives me more options,” wrote commenter Jane.

“Had a BB for 5 years, switched to Iphone for 6 months now back with BB. The Iphone is a great toy, but for a work tool its BB all the way!” wrote commenter Shawn McGee.

But some are reluctantly changing tribes.

“I want so badly to support RIM because it’s Canadian but I have been using a BB for seven months and have had four replacements because of defects. I don’t imagine I’ll buy a BB again,” wrote commenter Steve.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:40 PM
my phone looks like a Blackberry

8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Of the approximately 8 million Canadians with smartphones...

Not to be mean or anything, but nobody cares about the Canadian market...more people in New York City have cell phones than the entire country of Canada :lol:

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Not to be mean or anything, but nobody cares about the Canadian market...more people in New York City have cell phones than the entire country of Canada :lol:

you mean bastid

:beatdown:

Godfather
01-25-2012, 12:37 AM

No, that's fair, but that was just one piece of the puzzle. I think 75 million users represents more than just a "niche" as AR called it. In fact, in any other industry people wouldn't nit-pick that as terrible, even if 2011 was a bad, bad year :lol:

I mostly posted the article because it captured how I feel about BB a little bit

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 12:38 AM
No, that's fair, but that was just one piece of the puzzle. I think 75 million users represents more than just a "niche" as AR called it. In fact, in any other industry people wouldn't nit-pick that as minimal.

I mostly posted the article because it captured how I feel about BB a little bit

Oh I understand that 100%, I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was just thinking of it from an investor's point of view.

National pride will only carry a failing company so far.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2012, 12:49 AM
you mean bastid

:beatdown:

:nana: