PDA

View Full Version : FBI arrests Connecticut cops accused of racial profiling

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
By David Ariosto, CNN

(CNN) -- The FBI has arrested three East Haven, Connecticut, police patrol officers and one sergeant for their alleged role in the mistreatment of Latinos -- the first arrests to stem from a federal investigation into racial profiling in that town.

The men allegedly threatened and assaulted detainees, made false arrests -- including one against a local clergy member -- and later conspired to cover up evidence of their conduct by falsifying reports and blocking an investigation, prosecutors said Tuesday during a news conference in Bridgeport.

Sgt. John Miller and officers David Cari, Dennis Spaulding and Jason Zullo were arrested early Tuesday for allegedly conspiring to "injure, oppress, threaten, and intimidate various members of the East Haven community," profiling residents during traffic stops, performing illegal searches and harassing Latino business owners and their advocates, according to the indictment.

"They behaved like bullies with badges," said Janice Fedarcyk, assistant FBI director in New York.

On one occasion on January 21, 2009, Spaulding and Zullo allegedly assaulted two individuals they had arrested under false pretenses, slamming their heads against the station's cell block walls, the indictment said.

The indictment cited a similar incident in which Miller allegedly struck a detainee who was handcuffed after being propped up by two other patrol officers.

The men also dismissed a police commission inquiry into their alleged misconduct, it said, calling on the support of local union leaders to block and intimidate municipal investigators.

The defendants could not be immediately reached for comment, and the East Haven Police Department referred press inquiries to the mayor's office.

"It's unfortunate that it had to come to arrests," said Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr., who said his office "stands behind the East Haven Police Department."

"They're innocent until proven guilty," he said.

The arrests come just weeks after a scathing Department of Justice report, derived from an investigation that began in September 2009, accusing the town's police of engaging in "discriminatory policing against Latinos."

In a letter to Maturo, Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas J. Perez said the practice was "deeply rooted in the department's culture," citing statistical analysis that showed Latinos had been "intentionally targeted" for traffic stops.

The letter provided an example of a particular officer's stops, 40.5% of which were of Latino drivers.

Overall, the investigation found that 19.9% of traffic stops made by East Haven police were against Latino drivers, concluding it "shows pervasive discrimination against Latinos on every level of EHPD traffic enforcement activity."

The report also accused some officers of conducting unauthorized immigration investigations.

It mentioned "numerous incident reports" in which officers contacted Immigration and Customs Enforcement to check on the status or seek an immigration detention of a Latino.

Investigators said the tactic was "used to harass and intimidate Latinos rather than pursue legitimate law enforcement objectives."

But Maturo said he doesn't believe allegations of such systemic discrimination in East Haven are accurate.

"We have an open community here," he said.

According to 2010 census data, East Haven has a population of some 29,000 people, with about 10.3% identifying as Hispanic or Latino. The vast majority of residents, 88.5%, are white, while close to 3% identify as black or African-American.

Still, Maturo said, there have been changes in the wake of the December report.

An independent commission of community members, external consultants and former law enforcement officials has been formed to head off future allegations by revising police policies.

The mayor cited a series of reforms, including revisions to complaint review policies and training, and pointed to a revised East Haven police handbook, the first update since 1972.

"It was an outdated book," Maturo said.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Out of 29000 people, over 3000 are Latino? In Connecticut???

is that allowed? :lol:

Richard Cranium
01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
East Haven, CT is like Little Italy, old school guido..

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Our city is Little Everything :lol:

choose a corner and we have Asian, Brown, Black, White, Off White, Olive, Tan or Puce.

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Our city is Little Everything :lol:

choose a corner and we have Asian, Brown, Black, White, Off White, Olive, Tan or Puce.

That's not your city, it's your damn warehouse. Fucking UN of parcels.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Our warehouse is a microcosm of the city

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Our warehouse is a microcosm of the city

Your warehouse is a bizarre roll call of central casting misfits. I'm surprised you don't have a lesbian in a wheelchair or an elderly black lady with one wooden leg.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Your warehouse is a bizarre roll call of central casting misfits. I'm surprised you don't have a lesbian in a wheelchair or an elderly black lady with one wooden leg.

whoa...I'm sure they'll be happy to read that :|

JoeyB
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
whoa...I'm sure they'll be happy to read that :|

I don't mean that as an insult. I'm rather fascinated by your warehouse. Every time you post about it you have some new, bizarre character to introduce...as if this warehouse exists on some weirdness magnet crux...but to my way of thinking, that's a compliment.

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
the lesbian Filipino will be along shortly, you can discuss it with her

*runs*

Richard Cranium
01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Warehouse 13?

Hal-9000
01-24-2012, 11:36 PM
pretty much, I do inventory control here so it's an apt description :lol:

JoeyB
01-25-2012, 12:10 AM
the lesbian Filipino will be along shortly, you can discuss it with her

*runs*

Lesbian filipino...see? Just admit that somewhere in your warehouse you have a guy with two heads on his shoulders.