PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Death Row Inmate Writes Letter About Life of 'Leisure'

Teh One Who Knocks
01-26-2012, 06:50 PM
ABC News

http://i.imgur.com/ZTgkU.jpg

A convicted murderer on death row in North Carolina wrote a taunting letter to his hometown newspaper about his life of "leisure" in prison and making a mockery of the legal system.

Danny Robbie Hembree Jr. was found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Heather Catterton in 2009 and was sentenced to death on Nov. 18, 2011.

Hembree, 50, is on death row at Central Prison in Raleigh, N.C., but he's not looking for any pity in the letter he sent to The Gaston Gazette.

"Is the public aware that I am a gentleman of leisure, watching color TV in the A.C., reading, taking naps at will, eating three well balanced hot meals a day," Hembree asked in the letter. "I'm housed in a building that connects to the new 55 million dollar hospital with round the clock free medical care 24/7."

He also asks if the public knows that the chances of his "lawful murder" taking place in the next 20 years, if ever, are "very slim."

Gaston County District Attorney Locke Bell said that he has received two distraught phone calls from Catterton's father today.

"I got a call from the father of the 17-year-old that he murdered, in tears. He said that this is tearing the family to shreds. This is ripping the wound open," Locke told ABCNews.com. "[The father] said, 'He murdered our daughter, got the death penalty and now he's just sitting in jail laughing at us.'"

Bell said that though the letter is upsetting, it also sheds light on a real issue.

"There's a part of me that wants everybody to read that letter because it tells a lot of truth about death row," Bell said.

Hembree has also been accused of killing two other women. One was 30-year-old Randi Dean Saldana, whose burnt remains were found near Blacksburg, S.C. in 2009. The other was 30-year-old Deborah Ratchford, whose body was found in 1992.

He admitted to taking drugs and having sex with Catterton and Saldana on the days they died, but told jurors he did not kill them or dispose of their bodies, according to ABC News' Raleigh-Durham affiliate WTVD. He is scheduled to go on trial for Saldana's killing in March.

Hembree confessed to killing the three women during recorded police interviews, but later said the confessions were an attempt to cover up a string of armed robberies, according to the Gaston Gazette.

In the letter, Hembree also mocks the judicial system.

"I laugh at you self righteous clowns and I spit in the face of your so called justice system. The state of North Carolina has sentenced me to death but it's not real," he wrote.

North Carolina State Representative Paul Stam told WTVD that the letter is a travesty of justice. He said that it is more likely that Hembree will die of natural causes than of the death penalty.

"His punishment does not fit his crime at all," Stam said.

Hembree tells the citizens of Gaston County, N.C., that they should petition that state and force them to carry out his "murder sentence."

"I am a man who is ready to except [sic] his unjustful punishment and face God almighty with a clean conscience unlike you cowards and your cowardly system," Hembree wrote. "Kill me if you can suckers. Ha! Ha! Ha!"

The letter is signed, "Sincerely, Danny Hembree."

Hal-9000
01-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I hate this fucking shit

KevinD
01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
A 9mm round cost about 35cents.

MrsM
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
A knife is re-useable - just saying :huh:

redred
01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
feed the sharks

Hal-9000
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
he murders a 17 year old then gloats because he doesn't have to work and stress about the cost of living like we do...

what an asshat...if I was the father of that girl I'd arrange to get sent to the same prison as that guy

RBP
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
:|

Southern Belle
01-27-2012, 04:16 AM
He's full of crap. Prison life is prison life. He might not have to do anything all day but his well balanced meals are likely liver and rice and he can't go anywhere he wants, do anything he wants, see his family except in very limited conditions, use the phone, etc. Gentleman of leisure NOT. The family should ignore his ignorant ravings.

perrhaps
01-27-2012, 03:29 PM
He's full of crap. Prison life is prison life. He might not have to do anything all day but his well balanced meals are likely liver and rice and he can't go anywhere he wants, do anything he wants, see his family except in very limited conditions, use the phone, etc. Gentleman of leisure NOT. The family should ignore his ignorant ravings.

Well, the family wouldn't have known about his ignorant ravings if an editor would have decided that this wasn't worthy of a story. Since the media takes great pride in "protecting innocent victims" by not publishing the names of rape victims, for example, am I wrong in asking why some discretion wasn't used here to spare the family's feelings?

If I were a family member, I would publicly call for a boycott of all local businesses that pay to advertise in this newspaper during the month of February, and ask subscribers to cancel their subscriptions for that month. That would get the message across.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Got to love how much we have spent keeping him alive :roll:

Muddy
01-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Exactly, the guys just fucking with them..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2012, 10:59 PM
By Tom Breen - Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C.—A convicted North Carolina killer who painted a picture of himself living the high life on death row in a letter to a newspaper tells a different story to family members, describing his life behind bars as "overwhelming" and "depressing," according to a letter made public Thursday.

Kathy Hembree Ledbetter released the letter by her brother, Danny, because she said it reflects his emotional state better than the taunting missive he sent to The Gaston Gazette, which published it on Tuesday.

In that letter, Hembree boasted of being a "gentleman of leisure" watching color TV and taking frequent naps, and wrote, "Kill me if you can, suckers."

But in the letter to Ledbetter, dated Jan. 8, Hembree writes of his despair at the prospect of either execution or spending the rest of his life in prison, and wonders whether God cares about him.

"I want this stuff to be over for good once and for all," Hembree wrote. "I try to put on a nonchalant attitude for you guys, but it is overwhelming and depressing to look at these at these walls and electric doors and bright lights 24-7 and digest the fact that I'm never going to leave here until they murder me or I just die."

Hembree is on death row at Central Prison in Raleigh for murdering Heather Catterton, 17, in 2009. He's also accused of the 2009 killing of 30-year-old Randi Dean Saldana, whose burned remains were found near Blacksburg, S.C.

In his letter to his sister, Hembree complained about the dull routine of prison life.

"I'm bored to death. No pun intended," he wrote. "Every day is exactly the same. I've got to where I sleep as much as I can."

Hembree admitted to taking drugs and having sex with Catterton and Saldana the day they died, but he told jurors he did not kill them or dump their bodies. He is scheduled to go on trial in March for Saldana's killing.

He is also charged with killing 30-year-old Deborah Ratchford, whose body was found in a Gastonia cemetery in 1992.

"I've been praying constantly about the same stuff," Hembree wrote to Ledbetter.

Referring to God, he adds: "I can't tell he even cares about me anymore."

In an email, Ledbetter said she wanted to make the letter public as a way to apologize for any further suffering Hembree caused by writing the letter to the Gazette.

"He is not happy, he is not comfortable and he is not well," she wrote. "He is being punished for his crimes and he is in a bad place."

A call to the Gaston County district attorney's office was not returned late Thursday.

After Hembree's letter ran in the paper this week, District Attorney Locke Bell said it illustrated the reason that many people in North Carolina are frustrated that a tangle of legal challenges has created a de facto moratorium on capital punishment. No one has been put to death in the state since 2006.

Hal-9000
01-28-2012, 12:07 AM
I think that if inmates get anything other than 500 calories a day of the blandest food available and water, they're getting too much.

I've heard countless stories of xbox, ping pong, TV and movies.I've heard about them complaining because their cigarettes cost more than 1.85 per pack, I've heard them whining about not being able to earn any money while working in prison and I've heard of guys getting enough access to books and pc's to earn college degrees.

That is not punishment, that it a better life than I lead and it's fucking wrong.We set down simple rules, they broke them and got caught.They should suffer, not have more than people who work hard and still live at the poverty level.

/ rant