PDA

View Full Version : The 12 Greatest PC Shareware Games of All Time

Teh One Who Knocks
01-31-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248494/the_12_greatest_pc_shareware_games_of_all_time.htm l#tk.nl_wbx_h_topstory

Hal-9000
01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
:lol: ...shareware......meaning you got a demo and then paid for the damn thing anyways...

some real clunkers in that list

chainsoar
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Commander Keen must be present on all lists of good shareware games, ever, or someone dies. It's law and I am the enforcer. I don't see Bio Menace, though. Someone might still have to bleed.

DemonGeminiX
01-31-2012, 01:15 AM
:lol: ...shareware......meaning you got a demo and then paid for the damn thing anyways...

Back in the day, they weren't always demos. If it had an unlock key or serial, you could crack them to full version. That's probably why game programmers started creating those limited demos instead of using keys/serials in the first place. People were hacking programmers' shit left and right and the programmers would never get paid.

Godfather
01-31-2012, 04:04 AM
Had most of these games on our old DOS based computer when I was really young :mrgreen: I loved Commander Keen most for suuure. There was also one called One Must Fall 2097 that kicked ass. Not sure if it was Shareware or what

Hal-9000
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
the time was circa 1996...I was working at Petro Canada and some guy had Leisure Suit Larry on his pc...

my first role playing game :(

Noilly Pratt
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Ahhhh...the good ol' days. Duke Nukem 3D, Castle Wolfenstein and Doom.

When you got a list of phone numbers of BBSes and tied up your parent's line for a few hours downloading a game at 14,400...it was happy-day-in-the-morning when you finally got that 28.8 modem.

You phoned someplace called Castle AARRRGGGHHH, on a list you got from this geek behind the counter at Sprite Computers or Admiral Electronics (in Surrey, anyway), signed in and navigated through a tree structure menu.

I remember the fright of my life when downloading something and a window pops up - it's the Sysop - and he says "Hi". Actually interacting over a computer!!!