PDA

View Full Version : Look, let's go over this one more time. If you rob someone, don't brag about it on Facebook

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
10TV.com Staff

Two people faced burglary charges on Wednesday after a search warrant led investigators to an incriminating Facebook message.

Kevin Stoll II and Meghan Welch allegedly were involved in a burglary, and investigators said that Welch sent a message to a friend saying, "That guy in the picture robbed a house, and I was in the car, so I got charged with burglary," 10TV's Maureen Kocot reported.

According to Franklin County prosecutor Ron O'Brien, Facebook can be an invaluable tool for investigators.

"People just have a habit of talking too much too often in the wrong place," O'Brien said.

In September, police charged a woman with felonious assault after investigators said that she smashed a glass into a woman's face.

The victim sued Courtney Tomlinson after attorneys said that she bragged on Facebook saying, "I cut my thumb bad on some glass and had to get a few stitches and sure enough, she was there, too, getting her face stitched up."

Prosecutors also filed charges against 19 suspected gang members who said that they did not know each other, but when investigators looked at their Facebook accounts, they found pictures of the people together, Kocot reported.

"And of course, if you have a picture of them flashing gang signs together and smiling and holding guns together, that disputes the fact that they not only know each other but would pose for that picture," O'Brien said.

According to O'Brien, people cannot resist the urge to talk.

"Sometimes you wonder what people are doing when they post either comments or photos on the Web page that shows them with drugs, guns and money, and you wonder what they're thinking when they do that," O'Brien said.

Police typically need search warrants signed by judges to access Facebook accounts, Kocot reported.

Pony
02-02-2012, 12:32 PM
:shhh:

I'm gonna start spreading a rumor that you can post anything you want on FB and the police can't do anything about it.

JoeyB
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
:shhh:

I'm gonna start spreading a rumor that you can post anything you want on FB and the police can't do anything about it.

You do realize some dumbasses will actually fall for that.

So umm, why don't you also suggest nude photos are deleted from the internet after 48 hours...

Hal-9000
02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
this is a little scary...story says that police found the incriminating post after getting a warrant?

I wonder what prompted them to get the warrant in the first place, as in - How many of our Facebook posts are constantly being monitored?

JoeyB
02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
this is a little scary...story says that police found the incriminating post after getting a warrant?

I wonder what prompted them to get the warrant in the first place, as in - How many of our Facebook posts are constantly being monitored?

Since you don't use facebook, I'd guess 'none'.

You do know that the US government basically monitors all email, all forum posts, all facebook messages, all twitter posts. Everything. Their computers look for certain combinations of information that indicate a threat, and that flags a real person to do a more detailed investigation.

I'm sure I am seen as a dangerous radical by the government, after all I support pacifism which makes me a massive threat (all jokes aside, pacifists have long been seen as a threat because we do not support war or violence. Go figure).

Hugh_Janus
02-02-2012, 11:26 PM

You do know that the US government basically monitors all email, all forum posts, all facebook messages, all twitter posts. Everything. Their computers look for certain combinations of information that indicate a threat, and that flags a real person to do a more detailed investigation.

I'm sure I am seen as a dangerous radical by the government, after all I support pacifism which makes me a massive threat (all jokes aside, pacifists have long been seen as a threat because we do not support war or violence. Go figure).

the us government can suck my hairy balls.... fuck you fbi, cia and all your other faggot agencies. I orchestrated 9/11 the kennedy assassination and the shooting of obama

Hal-9000
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM

I understand the algorithm for checking text messages but something like - yo man we jus robbed that quicki mart, it was gr8!

How does it detect that shit?

KevinD
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I understand the algorithm for checking text messages but something like - yo man we jus robbed that quicki mart, it was gr8!

Knock, knock, knock....

Hal-9000
02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Knock, knock, knock....

Who's there? :-s

KevinD
02-03-2012, 12:30 AM
MIB

Hal-9000
02-03-2012, 01:13 AM
MIB who?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Moobs in Burlap? :-k

Hal-9000
02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
I think it's a Texas knock knock joke....it's painfully slow though

JoeyB
02-03-2012, 05:44 AM
the us government can suck my hairy balls.... fuck you fbi, cia and all your other faggot agencies. I orchestrated 9/11 the kennedy assassination and the shooting of obama

:rip: Hugh Janus 323-1747

Fucked if I know dude. In this case I suspect someone they knew read the post and basically snitched on the robbers. But I don't know. I do know you should be careful about what you say and where, unless you have done nothing wrong. Sadly, 'wrong' seems to include anyone who questions the system these days.

Purely for speculation though, I'd think a good program could detect a crime might have occurred based on what you wrote. I'm sure they'd include slang and such in the program. After all, (and factually speaking) it is designed to parse spelling errors and various foreign languages. I doubt it could be easily defeated by ebonics.

I think it's a Texas knock knock joke....it's painfully slow though

Like Texans.

JoeyB :rip: 1900-1814