PDA

View Full Version : Facebook IPO could mean $200 million for guy who painted for them in 2005

Godfather
02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
When college dropout Mark Zuckerberg hired graffiti artist David Choe to paint his startup’s office in 2005, he asked if Choe wanted to be paid in cash or in company shares.

After Facebook’s $5 billion IPO — which could value the company at $100 billion — Choe must “Like” that he chose the stock option.

When the network goes public, Choe’s share will be worth about $200 million, the New York Times reports. Advisors to Facebook would have received anywhere from 0.1 to 0.25 per cent of the company for services back then, sources told the paper — a tiny fraction that could translate to enormous sums of money.

Choe’s vibrant Facebook murals can be seen in an album on the social network itself or on his rough-edged blog.

“Truth is stranger than fiction,” wrote Choe in a 2010 blog post reflecting on his paintings at Facebook’s offices.

When the college kids who hired him had “become the richest kids in the universe” and inspired a movie The Social Network, its directors asked him to recreate his murals for the set.

“… But because I had also become a rich famous artist at this point, they could not afford me with their laughable art department budget…” Choe wrote (in a post that contains content unsuitable to link to).

To commission one of Choe’s pieces, it costs as little as $1,000 and up to $50,000, according to his website. Whether his Facebook payday will boost his prices remains to be seen.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow

Hal-9000
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Alec Guniness did the same with Star Wars....they asked him if he wanted the 50000 wage or a small royalty on each ticket sold....he chose royalties

Muddy
02-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Alec Guniness did the same with Star Wars....they asked him if he wanted the 50000 wage or a small royalty on each ticket sold....he chose royalties

So what'd he net?

Muddy
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
WOW!!!!

He was one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit; he negotiated a deal for 2% of the gross royalties paid to the director

JoeyB
02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
WOW!!!!

He was one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit; he negotiated a deal for 2% of the gross royalties paid to the director

I never knew that. Funny...Alec was always a very clever guy though, a writer and a hugely overlooked comic talent. What strikes me as odd about his expecting the film to be a hit was the fact that he sort of thought it was all pretty stupid. Guess this was his 'pay day' film.

Good for him!

Hugh_Janus
02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
So what'd he net?

well?

I know keanu reeves did the same thing mith the matrix series.... he did quite well out of it :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
You did not just compare The Matrix with Star Wars :facepalm:

JoeyB
02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
well?

I know keanu reeves did the same thing mith the matrix series.... he did quite well out of it :lol:

Which might be good considering his post Matrix career.

Hal-9000
02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
WOW!!!!

And Harrison Ford said BAH! to the royalties and got a 50, 000 dollar paycheck for a movie that's been seen more often than Snooki's beaver on a Saturday night :dance:

what a dolt

Hugh_Janus
02-02-2012, 11:57 PM
You did not just compare The Matrix with Star Wars :facepalm:

no :-s

I compared keanu with alec :slap:

FYI, I've never seen a complete star wars film

Hal-9000
02-03-2012, 12:02 AM

wtf is wrong with you man????

(keep it under 1000 words pls)

JoeyB
02-03-2012, 05:54 AM
And Harrison Ford said BAH! to the royalties and got a 50, 000 dollar paycheck for a movie that's been seen more often than Snooki's beaver on a Saturday night :dance:

what a dolt

He was the one who had the long lasting post Wars career though.

(Not a comment on Alec, who had a brilliant pre Wars career. But, you know, more a Hamill and Fisher thing).

The first three (the original ones from 77-83) are entirely wonderful, or at least were, until George Asshat Lucas lost his shit and ruined them with the next three films. Sighs. Totally ass raped his own wonderful mythology and in the process cheapened it greatly.

Of course, basically everything in the original trilogy was cobbled together or flat out stolen from other films. But hey, it was a breathtaking hodgepodge nonetheless.