PDA

View Full Version : Payroll Tax Extension paid for by new homeowner tax

Acid Trip
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
And the American people get hoodwinked again.

"Hidden" mortgage fee paying for payroll tax cut
(CBS News)

Just before Christmas, American workers got a rare gift from Washington politicians - the current payroll tax cut would be extended for two more months.

At the time, both President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner lauded the move to avoid a tax increase for millions of working Americans.

But there's something the politicians weren't bragging about - the fact that they're paying for the two-month tax cut with what has turned into a brand new fee on home buyers.

The new fee is a minimum of one-tenth of 1 percent on Fannie Mae- and Freddie Mac-backed loans, and is likely to go much higher.

It will be imposed for the next 10 years on most mortgages and refinancings and it lasts for the life of the loan.

For every $200,000, it amounts to an extra $15 dollars a month.

It's bad news for Patty Anderson, who's buying a home in Virginia.

Anderson will save a couple hundred dollars from having her payroll tax cut extended but her mortgage broker told her the new fee would cost her almost $9,500.

"I was absolutely startled that it would add up to that much," she said.

The $35.7 billion collected in fees won't go into the Social Security fund to replace the lost payroll tax. It goes to the general treasury where Congress can spend it however they please.

Bill Burnett, Anderson's broker and president of the Virginia Association of Mortgage Brokers, said you won't see Congress' new charge in the paperwork, but it's there.

"It's actually built into this [interest] rate. You would never see the fee as a cost to you," he said.

Burnett said the fee will affect a "very large number" of homeowners.

"Your pocketbook is being raided in order to pay for a tax policy issue decided at the last minute by probably people who didn't understand fully what they were legislating on."

CBS News went to Capitol Hill ask what Congress was thinking when they passed the mortgage fee hike. Boehner pointed the finger at the Senate.

"As you're well aware, this bill came over from the Senate. I don't know how they justified it. We would rather have offset that two-month extension with reductions in spending," he said.

But the Senate blamed the House. And Democrats and Republicans blamed each other.

One congressman, Florida Republican Allen West, said he tried to blow the whistle on the whole thing before Christmas.

"I read the legislation and raised the flag. Unfortunately nobody paid attention to what I was saying at the time," he said, calling the fee a backdoor tax increase on the middle class.

"It absolutely is because you're talking about the homeowners - when you're talking about the people that are gonna be using the Fannie Mae, the Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored enterprises - it is absolutely a tax increase on them."

An Obama administration official defended the mortgage fee, calling it "modest." She said it's "unlikely to negatively affect borrowers" because increases "will be phased in over the next two years." And it will "help bring private capital back into the mortgage market, which [is] good for borrowers over the long term."

Maybe so. But Patty Anderson only knows that for the next 30 years, she'll be haunted by the Washington ghost of Christmas past.

"I think it just looks like Washington grabbing more money," she said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57371781/home-buyers-left-holding-bag-for-payroll-tax-cut/

PorkChopSandwiches
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
:dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Fine with me :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
fine with you :roll: Just because you wont own a home, you should still call bullshit

FBD
02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
yeah, every increase is "modest" - even the ones that arent :roll:

cue calls of fkin the middle class yet again

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
fine with you :roll: Just because you wont own a home, you should still call bullshit

Fuck that, renters get screwed all the time so it's about fucking time that homeowners get hit.

What, the government paying for people's mortgages with my tax money is okay, but when a homeowner is made to pay something extra, it's no good? :roll:

Muddy
02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
*screws some renters*

PorkChopSandwiches
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Fuck that, renters get screwed all the time so it's about fucking time that homeowners get hit.

What, the government paying for people's mortgages with my tax money is okay, but when a homeowner is made to pay something extra, it's no good? :roll:

The tax money you are talking about we are all currently paying. So we should dump on the new homeowner instead who is trying to take a positive step in their life :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
The tax money you are talking about we are all currently paying. So we should dump on the new homeowner instead who is trying to take a positive step in their life :roll:

Yeah, and you as a homeowner still get tax deductions on your mortgage....you know what a renter gets? Fucked by the government.

Muddy
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah, and you as a homeowner still get tax deductions on your mortgage....you know what a renter gets? Fucked by the government.

And they have to live in the Ghetto on top of that.. :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM

We get a deduction because we are paying interest that goes to the government. :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
And they have to live in the Ghetto on top of that.. :dance:

I used to live in the ghetto....it was bad :|

We get a deduction because we are paying interest that goes to the government. :roll:

So? :-s

There shouldn't be any fucking deductions for anything, period.

Maybe I should have gone out and bout a half million dollar home that I couldn't afford so you guys could have paid my mortgage for me. :roll:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Its basically a tax, so why should we have to pay on it again :facepalm:

Muddy
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I used to live in the ghetto....it was bad :|

http://i.imgur.com/MWhbu.jpg

Acid Trip
02-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Notice that the tax money generated doesn't refill the Social Security coffers. It goes to the general fund to be spent as needed. That should be what makes everyone reading this story livid.

The person who pays the tax is a distraction from the issue at hand. See how successful it was? You've got the homeowner vs. non-homeowner argument taking center stage as opposed to the problem of where the money goes.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
and boom goes the dynamite