PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Teen Describes Killing as Amazing, Enjoyable

Teh One Who Knocks
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/LOetk.jpg

A Missouri teenager who admitted stabbing, strangling and slitting the throat of a young neighbor girl wrote in her journal on the night of the killing that it was an "ahmazing" and "pretty enjoyable" experience — then headed off to church with a laugh.

The words written by Alyssa Bustamante were read aloud in court Monday as part of a sentencing hearing to determine whether she should get life in prison or something less for the October 2009 murder of her neighbor, 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, in a small town west of Jefferson City.

Bustamante, 18, sat silently — occasionally glancing at those testifying about her, often looking down or to the side — as law enforcement officers, attorneys and forensics experts read aloud her inner most thoughts that she had recorded as a 15-year-old high school sophomore.

The most poignant part of Monday's testimony came when a handwriting expert described how he was able to see through the blue ink that Bustamante had used in an attempt to cover up her original journal entry on the night of Elizabeth's murder. He then read the entry aloud in court:

"I just fucking killed someone. I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they're dead. I don't know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the "ohmygawd I can't do this" feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now...lol."

The journal entry was presented to the judge not long after Elizabeth's mother and other relatives pleaded with Cole County Circuit Judge Pat Joyce to impose the maximum sentence. Bustamante pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and armed criminal action last month and faces at most a sentence of life in prison with a chance for parole. The least she could get is 10 years.

Elizabeth's mother, Patty Preiss, described her daughter as "happy, little girl," when she left her home about 5 p.m. after begging to go play with Bustamante's younger sister. Preiss said she told Elizabeth to be back for dinner at 6 p.m. but never saw her again.

"So much has been lost at the hands of this evil monster," Preiss tearfully said, with Bustamante sitting several feet away. "Elizabeth was given a death sentence and we were given a life sentence."

With Bustamante looking at her, Preiss said: "I hate her, I hate everything about her." The judge cut off her testimony when she described Bustamante as "not even human."

FBI agents seized the journal from Bustamante's bedroom during a search of her family's home the day after Elizabeth went missing as hundreds of volunteers scoured the rural area around St. Martin's.

Bustamante suggested to FBI and the Missouri State Highway Patrol officials that the girl had probably been kidnapped and that whoever had done so deserved to be convicted.

At one point, law enforcement officers discovered a hole in the ground in the shape of a shallow grave near Bustamante's home. They testified that Bustamante acknowledged digging it but said she just liked to dig holes. It was only later that Elizabeth's body was found concealed under leaves in another grave in the woods behind the Bustamante home.

At a hearing in 2009, Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified that the teenager told him "she wanted to know what it felt like" to kill someone.

Defense attorneys Monday highlighted Bustamante's troubled childhood as part of their argument about why she should receive leniency. They referred to numerous references in her journal in the two months before the murder, describing her suicidal feelings and the urge to hurt herself and others.

At one point Bustamante had written that she intended to burn down a house and kill all the occupants, but she never followed through with that. On Oct. 14, one week before Elizabeth's slaying, Bustamante had written that she was unable to use her cell phone because the charger had died, which meant she couldn't talk to anyone about the depression and rage she was feeling.

"If I don't talk about it, I bottle it up, and when I explode someone's going to die," she wrote in a journal that was read to the court by her defense attorney, Charlie Moreland.

Hal-9000
02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
minimum is 10 years...so she could get out at 28....

that's not enough...

I keep bringing up John Douglas and I have to agree with his view - Some people are wired wrong.If they can't even fake remorse after killing someone without provocation, then that type of person should be removed from the public.Incarceration doesn't change them, it just gives them time to reflect on how they got caught and to prevent that in future instances.

Hal-9000
02-07-2012, 12:18 AM
kills a nine year old because she's 'raging' over her phone charger....

man, this shit makes me wanna cry sometimes..

MrsM
02-07-2012, 12:26 AM
I hope she gets life - she has issues

Joebob034
02-07-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm surprised her lawyers didn't try to say using the diary was an invasion of privacy and can't be used in court

Loser
02-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Put a bullet in the crazy bitch and call it a day. Beers on me.

deebakes
02-07-2012, 02:17 AM
crazy dyke :(

JoeyB
02-07-2012, 04:57 AM
I'd say judging from her diary, and speaking purely as an informed person and not a professional, that she is a psychopath.

Therefore, she is incurable and should be locked up for good.

Acid Trip
02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
This whole "you killed someone but only get 10-20 years" shit has got to stop. Murderers should be killed in the same fashion as their victims.

If you decide to burn someone alive then guess what, you get burned alive too.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm all for going biblical on people like this, especially when the case is cut and dry. But there's too many whiny bleeding hearts that complain about 'cruel and unusual' punishment :rolleyes:

To me, for example, if you hang someone upside down from a tree and gut them, then there is nothing cruel or unusual in doing the same exact thing to the killer.

Acid Trip
02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm all for going biblical on people like this, especially when the case is cut and dry. But there's too many whiny bleeding hearts that complain about 'cruel and unusual' punishment :rolleyes:

To me, for example, if you hang someone upside down from a tree and gut them, then there is nothing cruel or unusual in doing the same exact thing to the killer.

I agree 100%.

Now if you wanted to do hang someone upside down and gut them because they cheated on their taxes, robbed a bank, or littered in public that falls under the "cruel and unusual" punishment provision.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2012, 08:01 PM
By DAVID A. LIEB | Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri teenager who had described the slaying of a young neighbor girl as an "ahmazing" thrill made an emotional apology Wednesday to the girl's family and was sentenced to a potential lifetime in prison.

Moments before her sentence was imposed, 18-year-old Alyssa Bustamante rose from her chair — with shackles linking her ankles and holding her hands to her waist — and turned to face the family of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, whom she confessed to killing in October 2009.

"I really am extremely, very sorry for everything. I know words," she said, pausing to take a deep breath and struggling to compose herself, "can never be enough, and they can never adequately describe how horribly I feel for all of this."

She later added: "If I could give my life to get her back I would. I'm sorry."

Elizabeth's mother, Patty Preiss, who on the first day of Bustamante's sentencing hearing called her an "evil monster" and declared "I hate her," sat silently, staring forward as Bustamante's finished her apology.

Cole County Circuit Judge Pat Joyce then sentenced Bustamante to the maximum possible sentence for second-degree murder — life in prison with the possibility of parole. She ordered the teenager to serve a consecutive 30-year term for armed criminal action, a charge resulting from her use of a knife to slit the throat and stab Elizabeth after she had strangled her into unconsciousness.

Elizabeth's family declined to comment about the sentencing, as did Bustamante's family.

There were no immediate indications that Bustamante planned to appeal the sentence.

Bustamante originally had been charged with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty last month to the lesser charges to avoid a trial and the possibility of spending her life in an adult prison with no chance of release.

Bustamante was 15 years old at the time of Elizabeth's murder in the small town of St. Martins, just west of Jefferson City. Evidence presented during her hearing revealed that Bustamante had dug a shallow grave in the woods several days in advance, then used her younger sister to lure Elizabeth out of her home with an invitation to play. Bustamante, who had hidden a knife in a backpack, said she had a surprise for Elizabeth in the forest. The surprise turned out to be her demise.

During her two-day sentencing hearing, prosecutors referred repeatedly to an entry Bustamante wrote in her journal on Oct. 21, 2009 — the night of Elizabeth's death — in which she admitted to having just killed someone.

"I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they're dead," Bustamante wrote in her diary, which was read in court by a handwriting expert. "I don't know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the 'ohmygawd I can't do this' feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now...lol."

Bustamante then left for a youth dance at a Mormon church her family attended while hundreds of volunteers began a two-day hunt for the dead girl. Although she initially lied to authorities about Elizabeth's whereabouts, Bustamante eventually confessed to police and led them to Elizabeth's leaf-covered shallow grave.

Defenses attorneys had argued for leniency after presenting evidence from family members and mental health experts about Bustamante's troubled childhood. Bustamante was born to teenage, drug-abusing parents; her father was imprisoned and her mother abandoned her, leaving her in the legal custody of her grandmother.

After a suicide attempt on Labor Day 2007 as she was starting eighth grade, Bustamante was prescribed the antidepressant Prozac. Her dosage had been increased just two weeks before Elizabeth's death. A defense psychiatrist testified that the medication could have made Bustamante moodier and more violent and contributed to the murder — a theory rejected by a different psychiatrist testifying for prosecutors.

Charlie Moreland, one of Bustamante's attorneys, described the sentence imposed Wednesday as "a harsh punishment."

"This was a child who had been spiraling out of control, but has treatable conditions," Moreland said.

Under Missouri guidelines, Bustamante would have to serve 35 years and 5 months in prison before she is eligible for parole, said Department of Corrections spokesman Chris Cline. It's also possible that the more than two years Bustamante spent in jail while awaiting her sentencing could be counted toward that time.

After spending several weeks at a diagnostic prison, Bustamante could be placed in either one of Missouri's two female prisons or sent out of state. Cline said department officials also would evaluate whether Bustamante should be kept separate from other adult woman inmates.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-08-2012, 08:09 PM
good, I'm with you guys. She killed a 9 year old, she should never see the lite of day, and for that matter why not the death penalty to be served up immediately so we don't have to support her fucked up ass the rest of her shitty existence

DemonGeminiX
02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
She may not last very long in prison.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2012, 08:27 PM

We can always hope :tup:

Acid Trip
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM

Or she may thrive there. When I looked at the picture I was sure it was a boy so she may find lots of girlfriends in prison.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Or she may thrive there. When I looked at the picture I was sure it was a boy so she may find lots of girlfriends in prison.

She killed a kid though, there's not much respect for those kinda people in prison.

deebakes
02-09-2012, 02:27 AM
too bad parole is possible in the future :sad2:

Southern Belle
02-09-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm with JB. As soon as I read it, I thought psychopath. If she'll kill a kid as a kid, no telling what she'll do as an adult.

JoeyB
02-09-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm with JB. As soon as I read it, I thought psychopath. If she'll kill a kid as a kid, no telling what she'll do as an adult.

Exactly, it really leaps out with this girl. The report said she was treatable, but I doubt it. Seriously, she sounds like a sociopath and you cannot treat them. They literally have no conscience...you can't instill morality or expect moral behaviour from someone incapable of feeling for others.

They do however feel for themselves, a deeply selfish existence...so lock her up and let her suffer that selfish isolation for what she's done.

Acid Trip
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Exactly, it really leaps out with this girl. The report said she was treatable, but I doubt it. Seriously, she sounds like a sociopath and you cannot treat them. They literally have no conscience...you can't instill morality or expect moral behaviour from someone incapable of feeling for others.

They do however feel for themselves, a deeply selfish existence...so lock her up and let her suffer that selfish isolation for what she's done.

Frontal lobotomy anyone?

JoeyB
02-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Frontal lobotomy anyone?

It could only improve your personality, so I say you go for it.