PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Attacks Boy in Texas Park

Teh One Who Knocks
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Six-year-old said he didn’t cry after big cat slashed his face.
By DANIEL MACHT - NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

http://i.imgur.com/RrBbh.jpg

A 6-year-old boy is recovering after a mountain lion “clamped” on to his face at Big Bend National Park in Texas.

Jason Hobbs said his family’s vacation became a nightmare when the big cat attacked his son Rivers on a sidewalk Sunday near the Chisos Mountain Lodge.

"It had a hold of his face...the cat was clamped on his face,” Hobbs told West Texas TV station CBS 7.

The Austin dad said the mountain lion didn’t let go until he stabbed it with his pocketknife.

Rivers Hobbs told CBS 7 the mountain lion “snuck up on me.”

Despite being shown on TV with fresh stiches across his gashed face, Rivers claimed he never shed a tear before or after the encounter.

Asked about his injuries, Rivers said they did not hurt “that bad.”

Big Ben spokesman David Elkowitz described the mountain lion that attacked the 6-year-old as a “young lion in very poor condition,” The Associated Press reported.

The mountain lion was still on the loose, he said, and would be killed if found.

deebakes
02-08-2012, 02:29 AM
stud :shock:

Loser
02-08-2012, 02:46 AM
We don't have mountain lions here, but we have coyotes, and those fkers are vicious. I carry my .45 at night when I walk my dogs, because I've had run-ins with them before.

DemonGeminiX
02-08-2012, 02:50 AM
The kid was probably in shock.

KevinD
02-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Sorry for the boy and all, but hey, you're walking around in a wild area. Surprise!

Arkady Renko
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Sorry for the boy and all, but hey, you're walking around in a wild area. Surprise!

my thoughts exactly.

KevinD
02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Kinda like when people are swimming in the Ocean, and are surprised that they got bit by a shark.

Hal-9000
02-09-2012, 12:24 AM

Yep...we have a few national parks close to us (in the mountains) and people are always shocked to be attacked by mountain lions and bears.Sad thing is, once it happens the park rangers go out and destroy the animal.

wait....this kid lives in Texas and wasn't carrying a gun? :shock: wtf is up with that??

KevinD
02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Yep...we have a few national parks close to us (in the mountains) and people are always shocked to be attacked by mountain lions and bears.Sad thing is, once it happens the park rangers go out and destroy the animal.

wait....this kid lives in Texas and wasn't carrying a gun? :shock: wtf is up with that??

Well, we do have SOME gun laws...6yo kids generally can't buy firearms, lol.
TBH, since it IS legal to carry loaded firearms in state parks here, I did wonder why the father didn't have at least a pistol for snakes and stuff.

Griffin
02-09-2012, 02:48 AM

Jason Hobbs said his family’s vacation became a nightmare when the big cat attacked his son Rivers on a sidewalk Sunday near the Chisos Mountain Lodge.

right, It's not like they were in an alley off of Bourbon Street, eh!

KevinD
02-09-2012, 02:59 AM
The lodge is in the middle of the park, not really anything else around. (I've been there) The cat was probably there looking for food from trash container or something. Again, You are in the wild, take appropriate measures.

Oh and a knife is perfectly correct for Bourbon St, lol