PDA

View Full Version : Mother Of The Year Candidate charged after two-year-old boy points loaded gun at police in Memphis

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2012, 02:44 PM
NewsCore

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – A two-year-old boy pointed a loaded gun at police officers in Memphis after they were called to reports of three children being left unattended in a still-running car.

Police believe the kids -- aged four, two and nine months -- were left in the vehicle last Friday while their mother Erica Rooks had her nails done in a nearby salon, myFOXmemphis.com reported Tuesday.

Returning to the car, Rooks told police she had just gone to use the bathroom. However, investigators said a sign-in sheet at the salon showed she had just finished a full nail service.

When officers asked the 23-year-old for her license, she dropped a bag of marijuana into the car, according to police.

It was then that one of the officers noticed the two-year-old boy inside the vehicle holding a loaded gun and pointing it at them.

Rooks has been charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession of an unlawful firearm, and three counts of leaving a child unattended.

She is out of jail on a $5,000 bond.

The three children were released into the custody of Rooks' uncle.

MrsM
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
:facepalm:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
what was the controlled substance?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
what was the controlled substance?

:-s

When officers asked the 23-year-old for her license, she dropped a bag of marijuana into the car, according to police.

:facepalm:

Joebob034
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
It's Memphis so I'm sure those kids needed that gun

PorkChopSandwiches
02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I have never heard of someone being charged with possession of a controlled substance for MJ. Its always been possession of MJ, if you got caught with "hard" drugs then you got possession of a controlled substance,.

deebakes
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
:worthless:

JoeyB
02-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Interesting...it seems unlikely this kid could have successfully discharged the gun. I'm not sure what sort of gun it was or if it was an automatic with the safety on or any weapon details at all...and I doubt a child of two could exert enough force to fire a pistol (though, not knowing the gun involved or any other facts, I can't say)...

And yet...just speculating here...but if he had fired it, would the cops have returned fire and killed the toddler in self defense? I mean, they can't just let the kid fire at them or random passerbys...

So, in that unlikely scenario...do you think the cops would kill the kid?

Pony
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
So, in that unlikely scenario...do you think the cops would kill the kid?

no

JoeyB
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
no

Just no? No specifics or alternate scenarios for stopping his gunfire?

I'm really pondering this now. It brings public safety up against a natural aversion to harming kids.

Pony
02-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Just no? No specifics or alternate scenarios for stopping his gunfire?

I'm really pondering this now. It brings public safety up against a natural aversion to harming kids.

I really didn't think it was worth elaborating on. No cop I know would ever shoot a 2YO under any circumstances.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
No shit, its not like the kid would be able to get a second shot off anyway, if lucky enough to get off the first one. The gun would fly right out of his hands.

JoeyB
02-09-2012, 11:37 PM
No shit, its not like the kid would be able to get a second shot off anyway, if lucky enough to get off the first one. The gun would fly right out of his hands.

I still doubt he'd have the strength to fire it...but I like your conclusion.