PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Drug Reverses Alzheimer's In Mice: Study

PorkChopSandwiches
02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.villasinorlando4u.co.uk/mickey_mouse.gif

AFP - A widely available cancer drug has shown remarkable success in reversing Alzheimer's disease in mice, raising hope of a breakthrough against incurable dementia in humans, US researchers said Thursday.

Mice treated with the drug, known as bexarotene, became rapidly smarter and the plaque in their brains that was causing their Alzheimer's started to disappear within hours, said the research in the journal Science.

"We were shocked and amazed," lead author Gary Landreth of the Department of Neurosciences at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Ohio told AFP.

"Things like this had never, ever been seen before," he said.

The drug works by boosting levels of a protein, Apolipoprotein E (ApoE), that helps clear amyloid plaque buildup in the brain, a key hallmark of Alzheimer's disease.

"Think of this as a garbage disposal," Landreth said.

"When we are young and healthy, all of us can basically get rid of this (amyloid) and degrade it and grind it into small bits and it gets cleared.

"Many of us will be unable to do this as efficiently as we age. And this is associated with mental decline or cognitive impairment."

Six hours after mice got the drug, soluble amyloid levels fell by 25 percent, ultimately reaching 75 percent reductions. The effect lasted up to three days, said the study.

Soon after taking the drug, mice performed better on tests of mental ability and showed improved responses to odors.

Unlike normal mice, Alzheimer's mice will not usually build nests if given tissue paper in their cage, as if they have forgotten to associate paper with the opportunity to nest.

But 72 hours after treatment, the Alzheimer's mice began to build nests again.

"They are not great nests but they are nests nonetheless," added Landreth, suggesting that if the drug can be shown to work in humans it might be best targeted to people in the early stages of the disease.

Clinical trials in people should begin soon and produce early results in the next year, researchers said.

Bexarotene was initially made by US-based Ligand Pharmaceuticals under the brand name Targretin.

It gained orphan drug status in the United States -- approval by the US Food and Drug Administration -- in 1999 as a treatment for cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, a rare cancer.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Solid work Dee :tup:

Muddy
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Ohio.. Nice.. Yep that is him.. :lol:

deebakes
02-10-2012, 02:39 AM
:oops:

Godfather
02-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Wow awesome.

Alzheimer's is almost as scary as cancer, and probably even harder on a family :wha: Gotta cure that shit.

Leefro
02-10-2012, 03:37 AM
What would those cunts at PETA think about this

Godfather
02-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Those social lepers would rather humans die that rats...

Leefro
02-10-2012, 03:44 AM
I know there were some from Mexico or somewhere like that where they were called over to the states to do tests on the for this sick bastard disease

allsmiles
02-10-2012, 03:48 AM
I didn't know mice could get Alzheimer's...

deebakes
02-10-2012, 04:59 AM
they are genetically modified to carry mutant forms of the genes involved in human alzheimer's...

or so i'm told 8-[

Leefro
02-10-2012, 05:06 AM
they are genetically modified to carry mutant forms of the genes involved in human alzheimer's...

or so i'm told 8-[

Who PETA supporters ?

Foxdana
02-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Wow awesome.

Alzheimer's is almost as scary as cancer, and probably even harder on a family :wha: Gotta cure that shit.

It's very definitely harder on families than cancer, and I really hope this is finally THE breakthrough.

DemonGeminiX
02-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Who PETA supporters ?

:thumbsup:

Now you know why they are the way they are.

Leefro
02-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Still laugh at the penn and teller show about them hypocrites

DemonGeminiX
02-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Just found it. Imma go watch it.

:tup:

Leefro
02-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Watch out for the blind :tup:

Leefro
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I watched it again but don't remember seeing Ted Nugent in the one I seen a while back

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
My Mom is going through severe dementia problems...they say no Alzheimer's but she has all of the symptoms :( It's fucking horrible

PorkChopSandwiches
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Thats shitty, sorry to hear that Hal

Leefro
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
My Mom is going through severe dementia problems...they say no Alzheimer's but she has all of the symptoms :( It's fucking horrible

Nearly the same thing HAL and my Mom also has Dementia and it's an awful brain disease

PorkChopSandwiches
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Nearly the same thing HAL and my Mom also has Dementia and it's an awful brain disease

So there is no treatment then?

Leefro
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Tablets that try to slow it down

There is no cure

PorkChopSandwiches
02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
bummer :(

Acid Trip
02-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Sorry to hear that. My grandpa had dementia and died two years ago. I'll spare you the shitty details because you already know.

To top it off we just found out my grandma has Alzheimer's. Sometimes we'll have the same conversation 10 times in a day. I told my wife to shoot me if I ever get Alzheimer's.

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 08:32 PM
They said a MRI showed some constricted blood vessels leading up to her brain.She's also on 24 hour oxygen... so the dementia and emphysema hit at the same time strangely enough...

Just this past week she grabbed me as I was going out at 11pm and said - hal, there's some guy in my bed! Go get him outta there.She looked like she was 9 years old and she was very scared :|

the guy she was talking about was my Dad, they've been married and sleeping in the same bed for almost 60 years.It's breaking his heart and killing me :( :(

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 08:45 PM

Sorry to hear that. My grandpa had dementia and died two years ago. I'll spare you the shitty details because you already know.

To top it off we just found out my grandma has Alzheimer's. Sometimes we'll have the same conversation 10 times in a day. I told my wife to shoot me if I ever get Alzheimer's.

Sorry to hear you guys...

My Mom used to have a phenomenal mind for numbers.She handled all house finances, shopping etc.She could come home after shopping, look at a receipt that was 3 feet long and pick out something and say - No, those were 2 for 1.49, not 1.69....

Now my Dad is like a full time care giver.Like AT mentioned...she asks the same thing 10 times in 5 minutes, it's horrible to witness and try to help her.I bought her a day timer for her birthday recently, because I read that if the person sees something in their own handwriting, it helps a little.She wouldn't open it and use it and just last night it was placed downstairs on my pc table....she asked why I left my work stuff on her counter? :(

I read that people store everything in their brain, people with dementia just can't access it.It's like a PC harddrive that records all of the info but the mechanism for finding it is gone.

there has to be a fucking way to get there....

Acid Trip
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
They said a MRI showed some constricted blood vessels leading up to her brain.She's also on 24 hour oxygen... so the dementia and emphysema hit at the same time strangely enough...

Just this past week she grabbed me as I was going out at 11pm and said - hal, there's some guy in my bed! Go get him outta there.She looked like she was 9 years old and she was very scared :|

the guy she was talking about was my Dad, they've been married and sleeping in the same bed for almost 60 years.It's breaking his heart and killing me :( :(

Ouch :( That's heartbreaking.

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM
For a few weeks now she's been asking my Dad who's pajamas are hanging on the back of their bedroom door..

my Dad will say - Those are mine....and she'll say - No they aren't, those are my husband's....They've only been married to each other, no other marriages.

How the fuck does she remember me and not my father???? I see her for like 10 minutes a day, sometimes never in a day....:(
My pa is pretty much with her 24/7.....wish I could quit my job and take care of her.Lord knows she put up with my shit for years and helped me...

Leefro
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
My old man is also her fulltime carer and does a jolly good job at it too does lose his rag occasionally but who wouldn't

Amazingly if a record comes on she remembers she can sing it word for word

The one thing that scares me is her just walking out the door

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 11:17 PM
My old man is also her fulltime carer and does a jolly good job at it too does lose his rag occasionally but who wouldn't

Amazingly if a record comes on she remembers she can sing it word for word

The one thing that scares me is her just walking out the door

That's my worry too Lee....I work every day and my Dad does need some time to go curling/get away....

I came in one day and all of our smoke alarms were going off...she asked me to stop the doorbell (she was browning some ribs or something in the oven).

I guess pissyness is part of it too.You remind them of something and you're the bad guy :( My mom has had a few episodes at night now asking my dad to 'get out of her bed', I don't know how he copes..

Leefro
02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
It has not got that bad but I'm sure the time will come

And she did one day walk out looked around the block and found out she was sitting in my old mans car :lol:

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 11:30 PM
It's the days where she's totally lucid that throw me off....I expect her to forget conversations from 5 minutes ago...

the other night when she grabbed me to throw out the guy in her bed was bad....the next day she asked me if I had vacuumed downstairs like she asked the day before...so she remembered asking me to do it and remembered that I didn't do it :oops:

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I wish I was smarter and went to med school.....if they're imprinting actions and conversations in their brain and just can't get to them, there must be a method to access it again...

Hal-9000
02-10-2012, 11:35 PM
chronic pot smokers get knocked for short term memory loss...it's happened to me :lol:

that's what dementia seem like to me...you forget what happened 2 minutes ago but can remember what you did in 1995....there must be a commonality in the way the brain is behaving (chronic pot use/dementia)

maybe if the dementia people were forced to smoke large amounts of dope, it would somehow kick something in there and start working again....or make it much worse :|

IDK....we need to think outside of the box though...too many people are afflicted with dementia and Alzheimer's