PDA

View Full Version : A 'Weird Al' Yankovic Super Bowl halftime show is gaining speed

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
By Julian Garcia / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/Qy7eE.jpg

Last Sunday's Score column on Weird Al Yankovic started as a joke before turning into something so much more. Much like Weird Al himself.

In fact, after writing a rather tongue-in-cheek plea for Weird Al to be invited to perform at next year's Super Bowl, we are now somewhat hopeful that such a far-fetched dream could actually become a reality. And just a little bit frightened.

Thanks to a well-timed assist from rapper M.I.A., who flashed an obscene gesture to the world during Madonna's otherwise surprisingly clean halftime show during of Super Bowl XVLI in Indianapolis, organizers of the event, along with network executives, are likely to make a safe pick for next year's game in New Orleans.

Safe as in trustworthy, such as some of the reliably noble acts that followed Janet Jackson's nipple-slip performance in 2004: Paul McCartney, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen.

Despite creating parodies of songs that would never be allowed onto the Super Bowl stage - Weird Al turned Madonna's "Like A Virgin" into something called "Like A Surgeon" - the NFL and CBS would never have to worry about being called out by the FCC should the accordion star get the gig.

The ball has already started rolling toward what would be the most anticipated halftime show ever. Several petitions have already begun circulating on the Internet, and a Google search for the term "Weird Al Super Bowl petition" called up more than 68,000 results. A Facebook page has been started, and as of Friday morning, that page's petition was boasting more than 600 signatures in favor of Weird Al crashing the NFL's party.

It's going to take more than that, for sure. So we're hoping that our Tuesday appearance on the Kevin & Bean Show, a morning drive-time talk show on L.A.'s alternative rock station KROQ, helped. For a recording of that interview, and to sign that station's petition, visit www.kroq.com. The show's hosts are big fans of Weird Al, and they're even friendly with him, so when they saw The Score last Sunday, they called for a chat.

Let us repeat: They know Weird Al! Maybe they'll talk to him!

"Here's the beauty of Weird Al, and this is why I want to get this message to whoever it is that pulls the strings for these halftime shows at the Super Bowl, because they may not even think of Weird, he may not even be on the short list," said Bean. "But think of somebody who has cross-generational appeal. Here's a guy who's been making hit records for over 30 years. And by the very nature of the kind of work that he does, the fact that he is parodying current songs, every time he comes out with a new record it's completely contemporary."

Take a look at Weird Al's latest record, "Alpocalypse," and you'll see what Bean means. Track 5 is called "Polka Face," a play on the title of the massive Lady Gaga hit, "Poker Face." It's a compilation of some of the biggest pop hits of the past year or so, done polka style, and it would be the perfect way to introduce Al to the masses at next year's game, which, coincidentally, takes place in New Orleans, an appropriate venue for such a colorful artist.

We're hopeful, but there is reason to worry. In replying to an email from the Daily News, an NFL spokesman said the league does not "discuss or speculate on future acts," and also made it clear that signatures on a petition will not influence the league's decision.

Spokesmen don't make major decisions like this one, but that is exactly the kind of response that makes us think the NFL wouldn't have the stones to select Weird Al.

Or should we say invite him? Because it's also no given that Al would say yes if he does get the call.

While tweeting out a link to last Sunday's Score column, Weird Al himself had this to say: "But ... Sunday's my laundry day!"

In that case, here's our craziest idea yet: Super Bowl Saturday!

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2012, 06:24 PM
This would be awesome.

Hal-9000
02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I think it would be good too...perfect venue for his parodies, he could do 12, one minute songs :thumbsup:

FBD
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
polka your eyes out :dance:

deebakes
02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
this would make it the only halftime show i would watch :tup: