PDA

View Full Version : Using shoulders looked at to ease I-70 ski traffic

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/21Uz9.jpg

FRISCO (AP) - Colorado highway officials say they are considering allowing motorists to use the shoulders on Interstate 70 to ease weekend ski traffic.

The Summit Daily News reports the Federal Highway Administration paid for state transportation officials and a handful of county commissioners to travel to Minnesota last week to observe the hard-shoulder lane system first hand.

A hard shoulder lane on I-70 would run from the U.S. 40 Junction to the Twin Tunnels east of Idaho Springs.

CDOT engineer Peter Kozinski says he's excited about the possibility of "using the pavement we have." But the concept would require additional research, an environmental process and an estimated $30 million to implement.

Kozinski says, "It's not something we're walking away from at this point, but it's also not something we're just going to charge into blindly."

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2012, 08:37 PM
CDOT engineer Peter Kozinski says he's excited about the possibility of "using the pavement we have." But the concept would require additional research, an environmental process and an estimated $30 million to implement.

:-s

Only in America does it cost $30 million and require a study to let people use an existing lane of highway :facepalm: