PDA

View Full Version : Sean Penn Slams 'Colonialist' UK Over Falklands

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Sky News

http://i.imgur.com/mDgpr.jpg

Hollywood actor Sean Penn has weighed into the ongoing Falkland Islands dispute, and taken Argentina's side in the matter.

He urged Britain to join proposed UN sponsored talks over what he called "the Malvinas Islands of Argentina", and went on to criticise the UK, saying: "The world today is not going to tolerate any ludicrous and archaic commitment to colonialist ideology."

Penn made the comments in his capacity as UN ambassador at large for Haiti after meeting with Argentine President Cristina Kirchner.

"I understand that it's a very sensitive moment (in terms) of diplomacy related to the Malvinas (Argentina's name for the Falklands), for Argentina and the United Kingdom," said Penn.

"Although I am here in the capacity of an Ambassador at large for Haiti I do want to say, I feel the responsibility to say, that I support all diplomatic communications that must happen, and must be the only way in which this is resolved."

Britain has refused to negotiate as long as Falklanders want to remain part of the British realm, and is increasing its military defences ahead of the 30th anniversary of Argentina's failed effort to seize the islands.

HMS Dauntless, one of the Navy's most advanced new warships, is preparing for deployment to the area in the South Atlantic.

The South American nation took the case to the United Nations, where foreign minister Hector Timerman criticised the UK, saying the islands represent "the last refuge of a declining empire".

Britain's envoy to the UN, Mark Lyall-Grant, responded, saying that the claims were "manifestly absurd," adding: "Nothing in the UK's defence posture has changed in recent months or years. The only thing that has changed is the politics of Argentina."

Prince William was also criticised by some Argentine groups as he began a tour of duty on the islands as an RAF search and rescue pilot earlier this month.

perrhaps
02-14-2012, 01:16 PM
UN Ambassador at Large for Haiti? Is that more or less prestigious than being the biggest midget in the circus?

Leefro
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not a fan of Corned Beef anyways

Loser
02-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Sean penn is a fking idiot :lol:

Joebob034
02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
As much as I like him as an actor I wish he would shut the f*ck up

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
As much as I like him as an actor I wish he would shut the f*ck up

:+1:

JoeyB
02-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I love Sean Penn.

Hugh_Janus
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
go suck yer maw, sean penn

Lambchop
02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
We are a bunch of imperialistic bastards to be fair.