PDA

View Full Version : 5-year-old keeps her promise to adopted soldier

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2011, 12:15 PM
KUSA-TV Channel 9 (Denver)

http://i.imgur.com/cHFGg.jpg

LITTLETON - It was before dawn when Private First Class Sean Healey got to DIA. There was a very important goodbye before he'd board a plane back to one of the most dangerous posts in Afghanistan.

5-year-old Addy Hinton got up sometime around 4 a.m. to make sure she could be there to give the man she calls "her soldier" a hug.

Her mom, Tiffani said, "It was even more emotional than I expected. The connection between those two has been incredible."

Addy met Private Healy on his leave in February. He invited the Kindergarten student to dinner as a thank you for the care packages she has been sending to him.

"You are the most important thing on my wall," he told her.

Healy has her paintings hanging up to brighten his quarters.

That night, he asked Addy to promise to keep sending the gifts to the troops because they need the encouragement. She is doing it.

The 143,000-square-foot Costco Store in Douglas County couldn't hold Addy's huge personality. She smiled and waved and made jokes as she shopped.

"My neighbors think I am very famous," said Addy, walking around the store. "They are always asking for my autograph."

Her dad helped her find the beef jerky and the ramen noodles. Her mom reminded her that they can't send anything that will melt. Her 2-year-old brother, Noah, rolled on the concrete floor at one point.

She shopped for her care packages and never once asked for anything for herself.

She added, "I sometimes worry about them. I just don't want them to get hurt. They are there to protect us."

The bill was well over three hundred dollars. It was way too much for any allowance to cover.

"I raised the dollars," said Addy. "I went door to door and people helped me."

When the Hinton's got back to their home in Littleton, they started the assembly line right away. There will be seven boxes this time.

"These are all for the soldiers," Addy said smiling. "They are a going to love it!"

"The fact that she sent presents to them and didn't expect anything back, I think that is exceptional," Tiffani Hinton said.

Addy has sent them care packages from her heart. They have sent her gifts from their own. She has an American Flag, letters and pictures covering one wall in her bedroom. She keeps Private Healy's dog tag that he gave her right above her bed.

"I'm scared of the dark," Addy said. "When I have fears, I hold Sean's tag and it makes me feel safe."

Addy plans to send many more boxes to troops she has adopted from all four branches of the military. She also plans to be there when Private First Class Sean Healy comes home to Colorado this summer.

"He is very special to me," she said.

Noilly Pratt
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Very touching.

When my nephew's best friend visits the family home, for some reason my daughter and he have always had this special bond and since his father is largely out of the picture, I'm kind of a father figure to him as well.

Last year, he was deployed to Afghanistan. My family and I kept in touch with him via Google chat and he told me after he came back earlier last year she kept him sane with her well wishes, drawings etc.

Max
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
thats class

Godfather
03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Great story. Really touching.