PDA

View Full Version : First handgun advice?

Godfather
02-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Placing this here cuz it's geeky :mrgreen:

So a few of you might know I got into shooting. I have an SKS and a Ruger 10/22. Two cheap rifles to start out. Few buddies and I are loving this hobby since we took it up.

I'm now wanting to buy my first handgun. I'd love advice, as I know there are owners/experts here!!!

Background: I'm 5'10ish with average size hands so nothing huge or tiny. I'm a lefty which is shitty. Looking for 9mm or even .22LR because of size and ammo prices. Semi-Auto, DA.

I welcome any input, additions or subtractions from my list!

Sig P226 - this is what I'm leaning towards. Expensive but beautiful. The .22LR conversion would be nice. It feels good in my hands. There are a ton of variants to chose from as well.

H&K USP 9mm - Also a nice piece to hold, and it's as small as it can be in Canada without having an extender. Expensive as well, but it's 'tacticool'.

Beretta 92FS - It's not my favorite aesthetically but it's well reviewed and if it's good enough for the US Army...

Glock 17 (Gen 4? ) - Kinda ugly, but again the price is good, and with mass production there are a ton of videos to help me out when I break it :lol:

CZ 75b - I don't know much about this one, never even held it but the price is excellent and I've even seen some stellar reviews.

ISSC M22 - This is some random Austrian company that also makes a .22LR SCAR clone I'd like to purchase (thoughts?). Reviews are mixed but the price is stellar

There are some smaller ones I like too, but up here barrels under 4.1" (105mm) must have extenders which look lame. (The P99, PX4, Mosquito would all be considered if it wasn't for that). Also, you can't have Concealed Carry Permit, or use one for defense up here, so stopping power and concealment aren't my top worries.

Thanks all!

Loser
02-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Ruger 22/45.

It's a 10 shot .22lr semi auto that is quiet possibly one of thee best handguns to learn on, and shoot with. The ergo's of it are just awesome.

Downside? I'm not sure if they come lefty.

You can get them for around 250$, which in canadian money...I don't fkin know :lol:

If not that, the next one I would choose is the first on your list. Sig 226.

KevinD
02-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Best advice I could give, is go to a gun range. They usually (at least here they do) have guns you can rent, and see what you like the most, then worry about price. One of my favorite handguns is my Hi-point 40cal. Its ugly as sin, cheaper than dirt, fits my hand like a glove, but rugged as a real AK.

Here's where I do some looking around:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=1717

This is the listing for 22lr. I'm not sure if they sell to Canada though.

KevinD
02-15-2012, 05:30 AM
This is what my wife is shooting in the pic of her with the 22lr handgun:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SW107412FC-1.html

Not sure what you are looking for as for being left handed. You want a left side ejection port, or just ambidextrous mag release/safeties?

Godfather
02-15-2012, 05:40 AM
God it's just so damn ugly :lol: I'll go and feel one up a little bit! Good to know it's a good one to learn on though. I will consider it for sure.

KevinD
02-15-2012, 05:46 AM
God it's just so damn ugly :lol: I'll go and feel one up a little bit! Good to know it's a good one to learn on though. I will consider it for sure.

The Hi-point or the S&W?
If the Hi-point, then yes, it is ugly. They do make a 9mm, BUT the barrel is only 3.5" so, no good for you. If you are looking for a range gun, then I would definitely stick with 22lr or 9mm. Ammo cost are cheap with those rounds.

Godfather
02-15-2012, 06:18 AM
The Hi-point or the S&W?
If the Hi-point, then yes, it is ugly. They do make a 9mm, BUT the barrel is only 3.5" so, no good for you. If you are looking for a range gun, then I would definitely stick with 22lr or 9mm. Ammo cost are cheap with those rounds.

Sorry, didn't see your posts! I was talking about Loser's suggestion. The Ruger 10/25 and the S&W 22A are both ugly as balls to me :lol: The Hi-Point too, and .40 Cal is a bit expensive for my blood like you said.

I like that website though! I'm going to shop around on there. I'll probably go to the indoor range where you can rent some handguns and see what I like a bit more.

I'm really just looking for Ambi safety and mag release. I'm used to casings flying past my face now :lol:

Muddy
02-15-2012, 07:56 AM
I thought handguns were illegal in Canada?

Godfather
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I thought handguns were illegal in Canada?

Nope! Just have to have a license (which I have) and lock and transport them following some fairly strict guidelines

Basically they have to be double locked (ie in case/cabinet/safe with trigger lock), ammo separate, and you need a transport license to move/use them to a Range... all in additional to the Restricted Firearms license which requires a detailed background check and a few day course.

The restrictions on Long Guns (Non-Restricted) are a LOT less strict.

Muddy
02-15-2012, 08:05 AM
That's cool.. I was just reading about this a little.. You can't have anything with a barrel under 4 inches right?

Godfather
02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
That's cool.. I was just reading about this a little.. You can't have anything with a barrel under 4 inches right?

That's right... and any barrel under 18" or gun that can fold under 26" falls into the same "Restricted" category of Handguns (ie. far more strict rules, no using on Crown land or for hunting).

Also, magazines for all guns are capped at 10, unless it's Rimfire in which case there are no restrictions on mag. Non-Restricted means you can shoot in the bushes, hunt, only use a trigger lock. A lot more fun. The FN SCAR .22LR knockoff from ISSC is magically Non-Restricted and looks amazing so I think I need that :D

One thing that's frustrating is that in some cases, guns that fit the strict definitions just get changed to a higher class (Restricted or Prohibited). The police make the final call.

There are some other funky rules too... Canuckistan

Acid Trip
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
My wife's favorite gun to shoot is our Beretta 9mm. It's insanely accurate and the ammo is pretty cheap. I prefer my Glock .45 but the ammo is more expensive.

The Beretta is too big for conceal & carry so she keeps a .38 snub nose in her purse.

http://www.thegunsource.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=292222

Loser
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Sorry, didn't see your posts! I was talking about Loser's suggestion. The Ruger 10/25 and the S&W 22A are both ugly as balls to me :lol: The Hi-Point too, and .40 Cal is a bit expensive for my blood like you said.

I like that website though! I'm going to shop around on there. I'll probably go to the indoor range where you can rent some handguns and see what I like a bit more.

I'm really just looking for Ambi safety and mag release. I'm used to casings flying past my face now :lol:

Well, if you're looking for ambi safty and mag releases, your best bet is the Walther p22.

-edit-

Nevermind, barrel under 4inches.

You could get a 1911 .22

They can come with ambi safeties but are one side mag release.

Kimber makes a good one.

http://media.kimberamerica.iostudio.com/uploads/family-image/rimfire.jpg

Downside, 850$.

If you don't like the ruger 22/45 series, they also have the MARK series.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger_MarkIII-Hunter/1Mvc-002f.jpg

And the amount of aftermarket parts for the ruger mark series is incredible.

Jezter
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
My suggestion is... Do not get one!

Leefro
02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Maker sure you just shoot animals and black people

Jezter
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Ooohhh :lol:

Richard Cranium
02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
You could get a 1911 .22

Kimber makes a good one.

Downside, 850$.

Either a Rock Island or a Metro Arms American Classic 1911 can be had new for around $450 or less. I run a .22 conversion slide on a Metro, so much fun I never really bother taking anything else out.. The beauty of a conversion kit for you in Canadia is you potentially get 2 guns for 1 permit, the .45 and the .22

Godfather
02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
You could get a 1911 .22

Kimber makes a good one.

Downside, 850$.

If you don't like the ruger 22/45 series, they also have the MARK series.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger_MarkIII-Hunter/1Mvc-002f.jpg

And the amount of aftermarket parts for the ruger mark series is incredible.

Thanks! I know the local shop has some Kimbers in, I'll go see what they're like this weekend.

My wife's favorite gun to shoot is our Beretta 9mm. It's insanely accurate and the ammo is pretty cheap. I prefer my Glock .45 but the ammo is more expensive.

The Beretta is too big for conceal & carry so she keeps a .38 snub nose in her purse.

http://www.thegunsource.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=292222

Good to know, I do like the Beretta and it's a little more reasonably priced than the Sig's which will run me almost a grand

PorkChopSandwiches
02-15-2012, 05:09 PM

:lol:

Hal-9000
02-15-2012, 05:14 PM
"Also, you can't have Concealed Carry Permit, or use one for defense up here..."

So why are you looking at getting a Glock, Berretta etc? What's the point?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a Beretta 92FS and it's around 20 years old, give or take. It's accurate, it feels good in my hand, and it's one of the most well balanced guns I've ever owned. In all the years I have had it, it has never jammed or failed and it is easy to strip and clean and reassemble.

On your list, that is what I would recommend.

Acid Trip
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
"Also, you can't have Concealed Carry Permit, or use one for defense up here..."

?

So a few of you might know I got into shooting. I have an SKS and a Ruger 10/22. Two cheap rifles to start out. Few buddies and I are loving this hobby since we took it up.

!

Noilly Pratt
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM

I think it's just for fun at the gun range with friends. I tried that, but didn't find it fun at all. Oh well, to each his own.

Godfather
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM

I think it's just for fun at the gun range with friends. I tried that, but didn't find it fun at all. Oh well, to each his own.

Exactly. It's my hobby. They're a great item to collect. I'm a total military history nerd which probably sparked my interest. Most of my friends are into photography or cars or surfing. I like guns.

I have a Beretta 92FS and it's around 20 years old, give or take. It's accurate, it feels good in my hand, and it's one of the most well balanced guns I've ever owned. In all the years I have had it, it has never jammed or failed and it is easy to strip and clean and reassemble.

On your list, that is what I would recommend.

Wow that's two for the Beretta :-k Great to know, thanks lance!

Hal-9000
02-15-2012, 05:37 PM
?

!

:beatdown:

Gf is an old buddy of mine, was curious as to what use the gun is for and his post didn't really say other than a 'loving this hobby'

thanks for answering on his behalf though Chuck Heston :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
02-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Exactly. It's my hobby. They're a great item to collect. I'm a total military history nerd which probably sparked my interest. Most of my friends are into photography or cars or surfing. I like guns.

Wow that's two for the Beretta :-k Great to know, thanks lance!

collecting....ah, got it :thumbsup:

Acid Trip
02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
:beatdown:

Gf is an old buddy of mine, was curious as to what use the gun is for and his post didn't really say other than a 'loving this hobby'

thanks for answering on his behalf though Chuck Heston :thumbsup:

:shock:

:slap:

:lol:

Hal-9000
02-15-2012, 07:54 PM
GF just wants a handgun so he can turn it sideways and get all gangsta on his Xbox friends when he loses at Mario Party

Muddy
02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Dump a few rounds into the neighbors car, GF..

Leefro
02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Dump a few rounds into the neighbors car, GF..

Only if an animal if a black person is driving ffs

Ohh and birds get them fuckers between the eyes

DemonGeminiX
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't own one yet, but my Mom's uncle (ex-cop) swears by the semi-auto S&W Chief's special.

KevinD
02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
The S&W Chiefs is a sweet gun. My only experience with a Barreta 9 was not a good one. They were issued to use in the Air Farce, and would jam like crazy (FTE) When they came out with the second version, we (at my base) had already been allowed to purchase and carry our own personal sidearm if we wanted. I carried a Colt DE 10mm.

Godfather
02-16-2012, 03:08 AM
The S&W Chiefs is a sweet gun. My only experience with a Barreta 9 was not a good one. They were issued to use in the Air Farce, and would jam like crazy (FTE) When they came out with the second version, we (at my base) had already been allowed to purchase and carry our own personal sidearm if we wanted. I carried a Colt DE 10mm.

I read about the jamming issue a bit with the military issue Berretta. Most units given the choice seem to lean towards the Sig :-k