PDA

View Full Version : Maine neurologist on probation after throwing tissue box at crying patient

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Bangor Daily News

AUGUSTA, Maine — A Portland neurologist was warned and placed on probation this week for engaging in unprofessional conduct while treating an adolescent patient, according to a press release Wednesday from the Maine Board of Licensure in Medicine.

John A Boothby, M.D. was placed on probation and given a warning by the board through a Consent Agreement signed on Feb. 14.

In December 2010 the board received a complaint that Boothby acted in an unprofessional manner by being rude, condescending and throwing a tissue box at a patient who was crying. During the investigation, Boothby admitted he might have told the patient to stop crying in an inappropriate way and that he may have been “emotional” in his discussion with the patient and his parent.

Boothby also admitted he tossed the box of tissues onto the patient’s lap. Boothby previously was issued a Letter of Guidance on Oct. 12, 2010 based on a complaint alleging rudeness to a patient.

Boothby admitted the board has sufficient evidence to reasonably conclude that he engaged in unprofessional conduct, and during his probation, the doctor must attend classes in medical ethics, boundaries and patient communication.

All Board disciplinary actions are reported to the National Practitioner Data Bank, the Health Integrity and Protection Data Bank, and the Federation of State Medical Boards Action Data Bank. These reports are regularly reviewed by every state licensing board in the country.

The Board of Licensure in Medicine is the state agency charged to protect the health and welfare of the public by verifying the qualifications of physicians to practice, and disciplining physicians for unprofessional conduct and incompetence.

RBP
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzM2FUP9s

Muddy
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzM2FUP9s

That's the first thing I thought of... :lol:

DemonGeminiX
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Me too. :lol:

Joebob034
02-16-2012, 04:00 PM