PDA

View Full Version : U.S. To Hit Debt Limit Before Election Day

PorkChopSandwiches
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
:facepalm:

The United States Department of Treasury will reach the the statutory limit it is allowed to borrow money before election day, according to a new study by Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio., former director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.

“Following the contentious debt ceiling last August, President Obama promised that he would take action to address the country’s fiscal crisis. He has failed to do that," Portman said. "In fact, his new budget increases spending and projects that Washington will be hitting the debt ceiling again in mid-October – burning through a $2.1 trillion debt limit increase in just over 14 months."

Portman's office notes that according to Obama's budget, total debt subject to the statutory debt will reach limit will reach $16.334 trillion by September 30, 2012. This is just $60 billion below the 16,394,000,000 debt limit. Since the federal government is adding to the national debt at a rate of $132 billion a month, the debt ceiling is on schedule to be reached by October 15, 2012.

" This is an unfortunate but clear signal to the American people that Washington is spending too much, borrowing too much, and putting our nation’s fiscal stability at risk," Portman said.

Earlier today, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner admitted that the debt limit would be reached this year. But he sounded confident it would be later than October 15th. "We do not expect to hit the debt limit until quite late in the year, significantly after the end of the fiscal year [Sept. 30] but before the end of the calendar year," Geithner told the Senate Budget Committee.

RBP
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
:ronpaul:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
That's insanity, he would want to stop spending to lower the debt :hand:

We all know you need to spend your way out of debt

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
That's insanity, he would want to stop spending to lower the debt :hand:

We all know you need to spend your way out of debt

http://i.imgur.com/mFJz4.png

perrhaps
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I am absolutely flabbergasted yet again by how quickly an important topic like this, which begs for a calm, reasoned discussion which carefully examines both the pros and cons of increasing our deficit, has become just one of many threads on this forum which has become hijacked by the neo-con trolls who've taken over here.[-(

Keep it up you two, and I'll make a self-serving comment which insults you before I add you to my "ignore" list (except for Porky's pictures of naked women, if that's possible)

Richard Cranium
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
The fact that we're here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means 'The buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., 2006.

Acid Trip
02-16-2012, 10:10 PM
I am absolutely flabbergasted yet again by how quickly an important topic like this, which begs for a calm, reasoned discussion which carefully examines both the pros and cons of increasing our deficit, has become just one of many threads on this forum which has become hijacked by the neo-con trolls who've taken over here.[-(

Keep it up you two, and I'll make a self-serving comment which insults you before I add you to my "ignore" list (except for Porky's pictures of naked women, if that's possible)

http://i.imgur.com/sHAEz.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
02-16-2012, 10:38 PM

I dont know if there is an ignore w/ exception option.....yet

perrhaps
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I dont know if there is an ignore w/ exception option.....yet

Well, I reckon a little suffering is good for my soul then.