PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Gottfried Fired as Aflac Duck over Japanese Jokes

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2011, 12:37 AM
By Dahvi Shira - People Magazine

http://i.imgur.com/o4fH6.jpg

Gilbert Gottfried isn't getting the last laugh this time.

The comedian and actor, 56, who acted as the voice of the duck in Aflac insurance commercials, was fired on Monday after he Tweeted a series of jokes about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

"Gilbert's recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac," says Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Michael Zuna.

"Aflac Japan – and by extension, Japan itself – is part of the Aflac family," he adds, "and there is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times."

The Tweets, which have been taken down, included this one: "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now.'"

Gottfried has been the voice of the Aflac duck for a little more than a decade. A rep for the actor has yet to comment.

Max
03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I used to be a huge fan of Gilberts, but lately he's taken the raunch to a new level, and I have no idea why. He can easily sell out comedy clubs with cleaner humor. It's a shame that he's going down this road. There are times to poke fun, and times to exercise restraint.

pepo
03-15-2011, 02:50 AM
quack-ass!!!!!!!!!!!

Godfather
03-15-2011, 07:06 AM
I always thought the guy was incredibly low-brow to be honest :lol:

I'm surprised anyone was stupid enough or insensitive enough to make jokes that publicly, that fast....

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2011, 01:23 PM

I'm surprised anyone was stupid enough or insensitive enough to make jokes that publicly, that fast....

Yeah, I've never found him all that funny myself either.

Noilly Pratt
03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Same here...I've always thought of him as a strange uncle named Horace that everyone tries to keep away from at family gatherings!

Family joke...we knew a guy named Horace who was a very strange dude, and so if we ever come across anyone strange, his name is automatically Horace. Horace is a strange name within itself.

No offence meant if your name happens to be that, but hey, you didn't name yourself, anyway...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I read the tweets, they were funny

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Funny how? Do I make you laugh? :-s

Loser
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry, and I know they're horrible, but some of these are just funny. :|

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-10-worst-gilbert-gottfried-tsunami-jokes

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Funny how? Do I make you laugh? :-s
You said I'm funny. How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me?

Loser
03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/28c3pk0.jpg

Max
03-15-2011, 10:25 PM
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Gilbert Gottfried has apologized for his insensitive Twitter messages mocking the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

On the heels of losing his job as the voice of the Aflac TV duck, the comedian posted a mea culpa on his Twitter page on Tuesday.

"I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my attempt at humor regarding the tragedy in Japan," Gottfried wrote. "I meant no disrespect, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families."

On Monday, Aflac announced they were cutting ties with the actor, who has voiced their duck mascot in TV spots since 2000.
"There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times," Aflac's Chief Marketing Officer, Michael Zuna, told the Associated Press.

The insurance company noted that a search had begun for Gottfried's voice replacement.

Gottfried's Tweets about Japan had been removed from his Twitter page. However, one Tweet which has been republished online and attributed to Gottfried was, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

In the wake of the controversy, the outspoken comedian received support from one of his fellow joke makers - Joan Rivers.

"Oh come on people-this is just outrageous! Gilbert Gottfried was FIRED from Aflac for making jokes about the tsunami in Japan," Joan Tweeted on Tuesday. "That's what comedians do!!! We react to tragedy by making jokes to help people in tough times feel better through laughter."

Although, Rivers did add that she understood the company's decision.

"Heard Aflac has 75% of it's business in Japan. I stand by what I said but Gilbert-as a spokesperson-you should know who you represent!" she later added.

As of Tuesday afternoon, according to the Associated Press, at least 3,300 people have been confirmed dead in the aftermath of the 9.0-magnitude quake that rocked Japan on Friday.

The death toll is expected to top 10,000.

Max
03-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Your in the big leagues when that old dried up twat Joan Rivers comes to your defense.

Hal-9000
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM

same here...never liked him much before.

To make jokes about this??? Kinda right up there with making concentration camp jokes in late 1945 around Poland.....