PDA

View Full Version : ‘Real Men Get Raped’ ad campaign launches in London during rugby tournament

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Organization SurvivorsUK says that in London, one man every hour is the victim of a sexual crime
By Rheana Murray / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/3stfm.jpg

A new ad campaign in Europe is encouraging male rape victims to come forward.

Starting Monday, posters reading "Real Men Get Raped" will be featured in 140 London subway stations. The stark ads show a nail piercing a rugby ball, and will remain in place during the Six Nations rugby tournament.

The campaign was launched by SurvivorsUK, an organization that helps male victims of sexual crimes. According to spokesman Michael May, the group chose to run the ads during the rugby tournament to make the point that anyone — even a male rugby player — can be a victim.

"We've chosen to use an alpha male sport in our advertising to challenge assumptions about the type of men who get raped," he said. "It's just as likely to be a rugby player as a librarian, a suited city banker as a hooded gang member. And we hope that by challenging our innate assumptions about the identity of male victims, we can make it even fractionally easier for a male rape victim to ask for help."

In London, one man every hour is the victim of a sexual crime, according to SurvivorsUK, but many remain silent. At most, 11% of male victims report the attacks, the website malehealth.co.uk reported.

"Males are taught from a very early age that they should be 'strong' and 'in-charge,' " said Kim Etherington, a professor at the University of Bristol. "To be successfully masculine is to be sexually potent, competitive with other males in sexual matters, and dominant with sexual interactions. Being raped challenges and negates all these preconceptions."

Not everyone is comfortable with the campaign's message, however.

Blogger Jessica Wakeman of TheFrisky.com challenged the signs' slogan.

"Why do we have to call it 'real men'?" she wrote. "Isn't that just feeding into the same stereotype that there IS such a thing as 'real men'?"

The “Real Men Get Raped” ads will also be posted on billboards at Clapham Junction train station and on big screens at Waterloo station when England plays at home during the tournament.

RBP
02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
:applause:

Richard Cranium
02-21-2012, 01:37 AM
:applesauce:

deebakes
02-21-2012, 02:36 AM
:boo:

RBP
02-21-2012, 03:04 AM
I think it's great.

deebakes
02-21-2012, 03:11 AM
i know :sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 03:32 AM
I have a tramp stamp that says that

Richard Cranium
02-21-2012, 03:55 AM

http://i44.tinypic.com/xzojp.gif

FBD
02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
"Males are taught from a very early age that they should be 'strong' and 'in-charge,' " said Kim Etherington, a professor at the University of Bristol. "To be successfully masculine is to be sexually potent, competitive with other males in sexual matters, and dominant with sexual interactions. Being raped challenges and negates all these preconceptions."
Real men are able to deal with any situation that arises and remain unperturbed so that a thoughtful, beneficial outcome may be extracted from a situation - and understand that crying over spilled milk isnt going to reverse the law of entropy in order so that they may feel a little better about themselves. (Also understanding that even though one is male, it is exceedingly unlikely that you're the biggest strongest ever and will never see such things as loss.)

Joebob034
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
I am a real man, that hooker totally raped me

Hal-9000
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM

:lol: