PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum's 'Involuntary Euthanasia' Claim Outrages Dutch

Jezter
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Rick Santorum's claim that the Netherlands advocates mass murder through involuntary euthanasia has prompted a furious backlash from the Western European country, with local news sources calling the Republican a "crazy extreme" candidate making up facts to stir up his political base.

Santorum's claim that the Dutch advocates mass murder through euthanasia has prompted a furious backlash from the Netherlands, with the Republican president candidate slammed as a "crazy extreme Catholic" making up facts to support his "surreal views." Santorum asserted that half the people whose lives are ended through euthanasia are involuntarily euthanized, and that residents wear bracelets begging not to be killed by local hospitals.

"Rick Santorum Thinks He Knows the Netherlands: Murder of the Elderly on a Grand Scale" fumed the headline of the newspaper NRC Handelsblad on Saturday.

The article references an interview, barely played up by the American press, in which Santorum claims that euthanasia makes up "10 percent of all deaths" in the Netherlands," and that many of those people were essentially murdered by the state.

"Half of those people are euthanized involuntarily, because they are old or sick," Santorum told social conservative leader James Dobson earlier this month in an American Heartland Forum.

"And so elderly people in the Netherlands don't go to a hospital, they go to another country," he continued. "Because they are afraid, because of budget purposes, that they will not come out of that hospital."

Rick Santorum also asserted that elderly Dutch citizens, in an effort to stop themselves from being killed, have taken to wearing bracelets that read "Don't Euthanize Me," an assertion that prompted gasps from the conservative crowd.

Statistics Tell a Different Story

In reality, public statistics, which have been recorded since the practice was legalized in the Netherlands in 2002, report that roughly 2 percent of all deaths in the country are due to euthanasia. The idea of "involuntary euthanasia," meanwhile, is baffling to residents of the liberal state, implying as it does patients wheeled off to die the moment their vitals drop.

But after incredulity came anger, and plenty of it.

"Rick Santorum is an archconservative," the piece, translated by Dutch blogger Bertine Moenaff, begins. "The most conservative of all the candidates in the Republican primary race. He loathes abortion and euthanasia."

"So now, he loathes the Netherlands," the article continues with an acid wit. "Because in the Netherlands, we kill the elderly like there's no tomorrow."

The author, credited as Niels Posthumus, accused Santorum of shoveling on "baseless 'facts'" to support his erroneous conclusions.

"This man is really imaginative," Posthumus concludes. "It would be a laughing matter, if he weren't in the race for the Republican nomination to take on Barack Obama in the race for the presidency of the most powerful country in the world."

Nor is the Dutch daily paper the only news source gunning for Santorum in the aftermath of his comments.

Dutch public broadcaster Radio 1 called Rick Santorum's assertions evidence of "fact-free politics," and its coverage has caused the story to be picked up by many of the Netherlands' national media.

GeenStijl, an offbeat publication, dismissed Santorum as a "crazy extreme Catholic," while PowNed TV remained baffled by his "surreal view of the Netherlands."

Rick Santorum's campaign has yet to respond to the backlash his euthanasia comments have caused in the Dutch media. The offending interview can be seen below.

Rick Santorum Warns of Euthanasia in Netherlands, Wishes Abortion Still 'In The Shadows':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yn-eejMcmuA

Jezter
02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Aahhh Santorum...you crazy bastard. Thank you for providing me my daily LOL. :tup:

Joebob034
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
those crazy Dutch

Acid Trip
02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
"WTF did he just say?!?!" should be Santorum's campaign slogan.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Bwhahahah :tup:

FBD
02-21-2012, 05:04 PM
:lol: Let me know when the Cain train returns to town

Muddy
02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
This Rick Santorum mother fucker scares the shit outta me...

MrsM
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
With the press that he is getting from these statements - he will be less respected in foreign countries than Bush.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM

A perfect example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36mkIag1drw

Jezter
02-21-2012, 05:28 PM
This guy makes Michelle Bachmann sound sane and Newt's Moonbase sound smart. :lol:

FBD
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
A perfect example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36mkIag1drw

*sighs* oh how easy it is to twist stuff - does anyone understand the context?

I mean, instead of actually looking into what one is spouting off about...

The U. S. Constitution contains no express right to privacy. The Bill of Rights, however, reflects the concern of James Madison and other framers for protecting specific aspects of privacy, such as the privacy of beliefs (1st Amendment), privacy of the home against demands that it be used to house soldiers (3rd Amendment), privacy of the person and possessions as against unreasonable searches (4th Amendment), and the 5th Amendment's privilege against self-incrimination, which provides protection for the privacy of personal information. In addition, the Ninth Amendment states that the "enumeration of certain rights" in the Bill of Rights "shall not be construed to deny or disparage other rights retained by the people."

(of course saying nothing as to what if any states have wrt privacy laws)

there IS a logical line that can be drawn there, and the assertions he made there are not false. although he does pretty quickly jump from "keep your hands off my body" to the notion of marriage, which...since whomever made the clip is interested in presenting just a few words and ends its tough to see exactly what the marriage context is, but one can infer either the whole gay "marriage" thing (where often times civil unions convey pretty much all of the functional rights marriage does - I'm still not sure where there's been such a push to actually redefine the concept of marriage that has veritably stood for thousands of years) or the whole bit of "womens rights" and the feminist movement having come along and wreaked havoc on the traditional family structure. It is of course debatable to what extent it is responsible - but the wholesale punishment of husbands of split families has led to a LOT of men saying "fug that".

So...if you really want to be quick to label something crazy...sometimes you have to make the label a quickie one that has inferior adhesive on it and peels off at the slightest perturbation.

I'm all in favor of a privately funded moonbase :mrgreen: But I wont equate Santorum to quite the level of Bachmann overdrive.

(and no I dont want santorum to get the nod - but you can bet your ass if he does I will be voting for him (or as usual, against a stinking to high heaven pile of turd) with full confidence that its his economic policies that will be the main thrust of it and I'll fuckin put MONEY down that president santorum would not be doing something like making an executive order outlawing abortion or contraception.)

(didnt address the dutch euthanasia...not enough info and if I do check it out it will be later)

Muddy
02-21-2012, 06:28 PM
If they wanted to euthanize Jezter they could just throw a match into his hair.. *Woooooooosh*

Joebob034
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
If they wanted to euthanize Jezter they could just throw a match into his hair.. *Woooooooosh*

or dangle a fat chick over the edge of a cliff

Jezter
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
:lol: That should work...

or dangle a fat chick over the edge of a cliff
That wont work, but if it were allsmiles, then it would work.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I think Allsmiles lives down the street from me.

Muddy
02-21-2012, 06:50 PM
You should re-word that Jezter... :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
"Satan has his sights on the United States of America!" Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum has declared.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3s.htm

Muddy
02-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Thats what I saw before I came in here... :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CAW3S.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2012, 07:08 PM

It's just the media taking him out of context, ask FBD, he'll tell you :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Yep. :tup:

Muddy
02-21-2012, 07:09 PM
FBD will always be available to defend the religious nut jobs..

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Religious nutjobs think Santorum is over the top :hand:

Jezter
02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
I think Allsmiles lives down the street from me.

That's a long street you've got there.

Jezter
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM
You should re-word that Jezter... :lol:

Why is that? :-s

Muddy
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM
nvm.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
That's a long street you've got there.

Maybe Im confusing her from one of the other girls at AS.

Jezter
02-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Maybe Im confusing her from one of the other girls at AS.

Allsmiles = Texas lass.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Allsmiles = Texas lass.

Maybe it was ItsBlondie

FBD
02-21-2012, 08:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CAW3S.gif
:lol:

:lol: balls & strikes, man. I begin by asserting that santorum isnt going to force his religion on everyone, while Obama sits there telling people Jesus approves of his message (imagine a republican getting up and saying that shit) and forces his version of political correctness on the nation. of course santorum isnt squeaky clean and free of his share of "misspeaks" or whatever you want to call them - but JC, we are subject to the pits with Obama and it is going to get exponentially worse when he can basically openly not care about what voters think instead of at least paying lip service now - and my god, santorum is somehow going to be worse?

:lol: give me a f'n break! that is why I say shit like Tv brainwashed some of yas on shit like this.

at least if santorum wins we'd be able to actually develop energy in the country, the futures market would take a dive, and we all wouldnt be paying 4, 5 bucks a gallon for gas - if you "really need to equate something real-to-life that will affect you."

MrsM
02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
I can't see how there will be any real changes - every party says what they will do for the environment and energy and economy - then they get elected and do what they want. I would bet that gas prices would not change that much over the next 4 years.

FBD
02-22-2012, 01:02 AM
:headscratch: if obama gets elected, we'll see what "necessarily skyrocket" means. if a republican gets elected and makes permits move, you can bet your sweet potoot there's going to be a drop in gas prices - give it 6, 8 months, 50 cents minimum from the day the new republican pres bitch slaps the EPA on stalling things. 20 bucks to (1) favorite charity if I'm wrong. :)

deebakes
02-22-2012, 02:45 AM
:rip: :usa: :(