PDA

View Full Version : Top Doc: Buying Iodine a "Precaution"

AntZ
03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Top Doc: Buying Iodine a "Precaution"

Conflicting messages appear in the effort to buy iodide tablets

By LORI PREUITT

Tue, Mar 15, 2011

The fear that a nuclear cloud could float from the shores of Japan to the shores of California has some people making a run on iodine tablets. Pharmacists across California report being flooded with requests.

State and county officials spent much of Tuesday trying to keep people calm by saying that getting the pills wasn't necessary, but then the United States surgeon general supported the idea as a worthy "precaution."

U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin is in the Bay Area touring a peninsula hospital. NBC Bay Area reporter Damian Trujillo asked her about the run on tablets and Dr. Benjamin said although she wasn't aware of people stocking up, she did not think that would be an overreaction. She said it was right to be prepared.

On the other side of the issue is Kelly Huston of the California Emergency Management Agency. Huston said state officials, along with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the California Energy Commission, were monitoring the situation and said people don't need to buy the pills.

"Even if we had a radiation release from Diablo Canyon (in San Luis Obispo County), iodide would only be issued to people living within a 10-mile radius of the plant," Huston added.

Santa Clara County's public health officer Dr. Martin Fenstersheib told the Mercury News he also does not recommend getting the tablets, adding some people can be severely allergic to the iodine.

"There is no reason for doing it," Fenstersheib told the paper.

Either way, the pills are hard to get. eBay prices have skyrocketed.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Surgeon-General-Buying-Iodine-Appropriate-118031559.html#

Funny I actually have the iodine pills everyone is talking about. Over here, all residents within a certain distance from nuke plants get the pills by law from the government. Mine and my wife's were mailed to us not long after we moved into our house.

DemonGeminiX
03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Funny I actually have the iodine pills everyone is talking about. Over here, all residents within a certain distance from nuke plants get the pills by law from the government. Mine and my wife's were mailed to us not long after we moved into our house.

:-k

So are you selling them on Ebay or not?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Well gee, with every single news outlet, both on TV and online, telling everyone that we are all gonna die from the IMPENDING MELTDOWN DISASTER in Japan, no wonder people are out buying this stuff in a panic. No doubt they are buying radiation suits as well :roll:

Godfather
03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
They told people up here in BC not to buy iodine pills... not necessary, and if you start sucking those things back you're likely to do more damage to your body than this plant will :roll:

Too much potassium is dangerous

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Not too mention that the iodine pills are only a defense against one particular kind of radiation....funny how they don't mention that.

Hal-9000
03-16-2011, 12:52 AM
No different than when the Anthrax scare hit the US a few years ago...people were buying (and selling) everything from gasmasks to full self containable bio shelters.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
No different than when the Anthrax scare hit the US a few years ago...people were buying (and selling) everything from gasmasks to full self containable bio shelters.

And I still say you ripped me off with what you charged me :x

Hal-9000
03-16-2011, 01:07 AM
And I still say you ripped me off with what you charged me :x

Whaaaat? The 1000 dollar Anthrax home prevention kit???

http://i.imgur.com/zQeod.jpg

FFS I even threw in one extra for friends or relatives, does safety really have a price??????

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM
:x

DemonGeminiX
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM

:hand:

Anthrax doesn't scare me. They're a good metal band.

:thumbsup:

AntZ
03-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Whaaaat? The 1000 dollar Anthrax home prevention kit???

http://i.imgur.com/zQeod.jpg

After you put those on your nipples, did you feel protected? :-s

FBD
03-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I heard iodine does a decent job of cleaning flouride out of your pineal gland :lol:

Joebob034
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
we are all gonna die from the IMPENDING MELTDOWN DISASTER

we are?!?!?! :shock: