PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay to defy international crackdown on filesharing websites

Teh One Who Knocks
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Site says it will bypass attempts to shut it down with a more covert system for illicitly downloading films and music
By Josh Halliday - The Guardian

The Pirate Bay is planning to defy an international crackdown on filesharing websites after the high court in London signalled that the site should be blocked in the UK.

The filesharing giant said it will bypass attempts to shut it down with a more covert system for illicitly downloading films and music.

The act of defiance comes as the net begins to tighten on some of the web's biggest filesharing sites, following the closure of Kim Dotcom's Megaupload by US authorities last month.

The high court is expected to tell UK internet service providers, such as BT and BSkyB, to block access to The Pirate Bay for UK users. The court ruled on Monday that the site breaches copyright laws on a large scale.

But The Pirate Bay has said it will sidestep the crackdown by "our common enemies" with a new downloading system to be unveiled next week.

In a statement on its official Facebook page, the site said that from 29 February it will stop offering downloads via torrents – which allow users to download music or films directly from their internet browser – and switch to so-called "magnet links" where users do not download files directly from the website.

"Before you go 'oh ma goood why why why?!!!', please understand that it's a necessary move in the saga known as The Pirate Bay," the website said in the message published late on Monday.

"Not having torrents will be a bit cheaper for us but it will also make it harder for our common enemies to stop us (which they can't. But everything that makes it harder for them brings more lolz [laugh out loud] to our lips). So please get used to magnets, cause they are here to stay."

The Pirate Bay ended its statement pledging to fight the controversial anti-piracy pact ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which has been roundly criticised by open internet advocates.

The Pirate Bay first moved towards magnet links in November 2009, but this is the first time the site has pledged to abandon torrent files entirely.

The move will make The Pirate Bay easier for users to distribute – a copy of the filesharing system will fit on a removable memory stick – and require less bandwidth to host.

The owners of The Pirate Bay are unknown – but courts in the UK and other jurisdictions have moved against the site in spite of this.

A Seychelles firm called Reservella Ltd has been claimed to be behind the site, according to the high court judgment handed down by Mr Justice Arnold on Monday, but this is disputed.

The four Swedish founders of the site – Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Warg, Peter Sunde and Carl Lundström – were in 2010 found guilty of aiding and abetting copyright infringement.

Earlier this month The Pirate Bay quickly switched its domain name to the Swedish .se suffix in a bid to prevent US authorities from seizing control of the site.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
I still don't know how that site survives just based on the name alone...

Demonoid got hit a couple of years ago, yet PIRATE bay keeps on trucking

samarchepas
02-22-2012, 11:31 PM
I still don't know how that site survives just based on the name alone...

Demonoid got hit a couple of years ago, yet PIRATE bay keeps on trucking

One word: Sweden :lol: (like Megaupgload...without a few servers in The US...nothing happens)

Hal-9000
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
So if I plant a few servers in my garage, we could open a file hosting biz here in Canader? :shock:

samarchepas
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
So if I plant a few servers in my garage, we could open a file hosting biz here in Canader? :shock:

I'm pretty sure we got laws against it :lol: (Because of our neighbors down south ;) )

Hal-9000
02-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Kill the Americans! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Kill the Americans! :x

Targeting tactical nukes....now

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 12:12 AM
We'll just cut off your oil and you can deal with the Saudis for everything :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 12:18 AM
We'll just cut off your oil and you can deal with the Saudis for everything :tup:

Our president doesn't seem to want the Canadian oil for some reason anyway :|

Muddy
02-23-2012, 12:20 AM

We'll cut off your food, and you guys can live off of popsicles.. :lol:

samarchepas
02-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Our president doesn't seem to want the Canadian oil for some reason anyway :|

He must be a good friend with King Abdullah :lol: (of Saudia Arabia)

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 12:24 AM
We'll cut off your food, and you guys can live off of popsicles.. :lol:

Do you have any idea how big farming/wheat/kenola production is up here? :rofl:

think Texas and times by 10

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 12:25 AM
He must be a good friend with King Abdullah :lol: (of Saudia Arabia)

They can deal with the Iranians as proxies :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 12:27 AM

And how are those Canadian orange groves? :-s

Muddy
02-23-2012, 12:28 AM

Then you can enjoy your bread and popsicles.. :dance:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 12:29 AM
:hand: oranges are pussy food

we can take multivitamins

Do you know what the the biggest export from the US is to us here in Canada (mentioned during the 2010 winter Olympics)

tourism :lol:

gee thanks guys for Vegas and Floriduh

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 03:59 AM

Nebraska + Kansas + Oklahoma + Texas combined create more food than all of Canada.

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Texas has almost as many people as Canada alone so that's not saying a much :lol:

Sure only we export 40 millions of dollar in agriculture to the US's 120 Millions of dollars but we less than 1/10th the population. Canada is also 10th in the world for total exports with only the 35th ranked population. So pound for pound, and in a country that's mostly trees, ice and Bob & Doug, we do okay :canada:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Also, we eat the most doughnuts per capita, AND have the most doughnut stores per capita in the world. Whatup

deebakes
02-23-2012, 04:35 AM
you are tied with uzbekistan for the least number of nfl teams though :shrug:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:38 AM

We you're tied with Yugoslavia for least number of NHL referees in the NHL Hall of Fame. Burn!

deebakes
02-23-2012, 06:12 AM
only a canuck would know worthless facts about referees :roll:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 06:14 AM
I didn't even know off the top of my head, had to surf google :(

*Canuck fail*

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
We you're tied with Yugoslavia for least number of NHL referees in the NHL Hall of Fame. Burn!

And when was the last time a team from Canada won the Stanley Cup? :-k

Scoreboard, bitch!

:dance:

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Texas has almost as many people as Canada alone so that's not saying a much :lol:

Sure only we export 40 millions of dollar in agriculture to the US's 120 Millions of dollars but we less than 1/10th the population. Canada is also 10th in the world for total exports with only the 35th ranked population. So pound for pound, and in a country that's mostly trees, ice and Bob & Doug, we do okay :canada:

We also eat more of our own agriculture due to having 10x the population. Since we eat 10x as much food so we could export 1.2 billion if we had the population of Canada.

:usa:

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Also, we eat the most doughnuts per capita, AND have the most doughnut stores per capita in the world. Whatup

:wtf: Are doughnuts like the national food? I thought it would be elk or moose.

Loser
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Well if their doughnuts are anything like their "bacon", I feel sorry for them.

Last time I was up there, I couldn't find one single place that had good bacon. :x

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Nebraska + Kansas + Oklahoma + Texas combined create more food than all of Canada.

Yes but the population based...

oh GF, has already tried to tune you in :lol:

The main point is that we give you more, than you will ever give us......fact.

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
:wtf: Are doughnuts like the national food? I thought it would be elk or moose.

I've never tried either :lol:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
And when was the last time a team from Canada won the Stanley Cup? :-k

Scoreboard, bitch!

Low blow :(

All the same, Canadian GM, Canadian Coach, 16 of 20 playoff roster players Canadian. Ya, congrats America :P Boston was more Canadian than the shitty Canucks :lol:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 04:36 PM

All the same, Canadian GM, Canadian Coach, 16 of 20 playoff roster players Canadian. Ya, congrats America :P Boston was more Canadian than the shitty Canucks :lol:

and what was the percentage of Canadian born hockey players? You ever heard that stat? In the 90's it was something like 70% across the NHL :lol:

These Americans think that because Jim Bob plays on New York...that he's actually an American :lol: :lol:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure what the stat is, pretty outrageous. Clearly we only play one sport :lol:

We should be able to anticipate their response to that point :-k Unfortunately there's still no good answer as to why I have no living memory of the Cup being won by a Canadian franchise. Fuuuuuu

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM

:nana:

and what was the percentage of Canadian born hockey players? You ever heard that stat? In the 90's it was something like 70% across the NHL :lol:

These Americans think that because Jim Bob plays on New York...that he's actually an American :lol: :lol:

Then by your logic, the Canadian teams should have exactly the same chance to win the Cup as the American teams....yet it's been almost 20 years since a Canadian team has won the Cup, so once again...

Scoreboard, bitches!

:banana:

:usa:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Careful with all that antagonism. I'm from Vancouver, we know how to riot like it's 1994 :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Good thing there are no American based teams in the CFL or we'd win that every year too :nana:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
..... Nobody wins in the CFL. Nobody wins...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Richard Cranium
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
jebus, you Canadias have an even bigger inferiority complex than the Mexicanas.. :shock:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:04 PM
How does talking about export commodities (an area where we clearly give more to the US than they give to us) become a discussion about who wins Stanley Cups?

oh that's right it's Lance using his chick logic :lol: :lol:

LANCE :watching:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:05 PM
jebus, you Canadias have an even bigger inferiority complex than the Mexicanas.. :shock:

Noooo, it's your huge ego complex that makes the rest of the world look that way to you...

DICK :watching:

Godfather
02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
News flash, it's both :lol:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't pander to them GF...be strong ffs :lol:

(psssst it's Americans remember? They don't like to be told they're second in ANYTHING)

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
I may need to get my blue font out for the balance of this thread..:-k

Richard Cranium
02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Cant we all be friends?

Godfather
02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Cant we all be friends?

This is kinda random, but I still remember when I was first at AS there was always this 'US vs Canada' thing, and a good friend (American) at the time PM'd me and say "We're just not going to get involved in this shit." And so we didn't. I liked that a lot.

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Cant we all be friends?

DICK :watching:

(the code on this post cracks me up, I can't stop)

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:20 PM

This is kinda random, but I still remember when I was first at AS there was always this 'US vs Canada' thing, and a good friend (American) at the time PM'd me and say "We're just not going to get involved in this shit." And so we didn't. I liked that a lot.

Yeah but with Lance it's like dangling a treat over the fence to a starving dog...it doesn't really matter what you say or what the issue is...he'll be there, guns ablazing :lol:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
*drafts new plan to invade America*

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
How does talking about export commodities (an area where we clearly give more to the US than they give to us) become a discussion about who wins Stanley Cups?

oh that's right it's Lance using his chick logic :lol: :lol:

LANCE :watching:

GF brought the NHL up first you numpty :gtfo:

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I love America

Richard Cranium
02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
youre fired

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 08:00 PM

No USA vs Canada talk? Way to be a couple of party poopers!

http://i.imgur.com/Be5jj.jpg

Godfather
02-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Damn yank :x

deebakes
02-24-2012, 04:59 AM
I'm just not going to get involved in this shit...

:mrgreen: