PDA

View Full Version : Austin, TX cab drivers allowed to charge extra $100 for vomit clean-up

Teh One Who Knocks
02-22-2012, 11:12 PM
by SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News

AUSTIN -- Mardi Gras revelers heading downtown to party Tuesday night beat having to pay extra cleaning fees for throwing up inside cabs.

Beginning Thursday, Austin cab drivers will be allowed to charge up to $100 extra for passengers who’ve had too much to drink and “mess up” the cab. The money is for clean up costs and to pay for taking the cabs out of the mix.

“It takes me like a couple of hours because when I clean it my car needs to be dry,” said local cab driver Joseph Ngaleu.

The City of Austin directed the Transportation Department two years ago to look at more ways to get more taxis working at night. The city council approved a measure three weeks ago to allow cab drivers to charge an extra $1 per passenger after 9 p.m. The second part of the incentives for cab drivers is the $100 clean up fee.

“I like that there's something finally official on the books so that I can say, 'The city says that I can charge you 'X' amount,'” said cab driver Scott Powell.

Each cab will have signs to let passengers know about the extra clean up fee and the cab drivers will get the money directly from the passenger.

“If somebody's going to get drunk enough to get sick in a cab and screw up their property, I think cab drivers have a right to be able to charge that,” said cab user Anna Little.

In March, the city council will discuss adding 45 more cabs to the city’s fleet of 675 just in time for South By Southwest.

Hugh_Janus
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
they've been doing that for years over here

Hal-9000
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I agree with this...I drive around at night quite a bit in my city and most weekends I see some poor cab driver pulled over and the back door is open with someone ralphing their guts out..

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 04:01 AM
I agree with this...I drive around at night quite a bit in my city and most weekends I see some poor cab driver pulled over and the back door is open with someone ralphing their guts out..

Lock the doors so they have to puke in the cab. Instant $100 :mrgreen:

deebakes
02-23-2012, 04:33 AM
my guess is that most people who puke in the cab can't afford to pay an extra $100... :idk:

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2012, 04:47 AM
What the hell is this "Mardi Gras in Austin, Texas" horseshit? Mardi Gras is in New Orleans and only in New Orleans. Friggin' imposters!

[-(

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
What the hell is this "Mardi Gras in Austin, Texas" horseshit? Mardi Gras is in New Orleans and only in New Orleans. Friggin' imposters!

[-(

Texans likes to party. Don't be jelly.

Joebob034
02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
they should have to pay $100 if you puke in a cab