PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska woman auctioning off a Chicken McNugget that she says looks like George Washington

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
By Nate Robson - The Souix City Journal

http://i.imgur.com/SGTCW.jpg

DAKOTA CITY -- No lie, a Dakota City woman said she is selling a McDonald's Chicken McNugget on eBay that she believes looks like President George Washington.

Rebekah Speights said she put the presidential McNugget on eBay Monday as a way to raise money for children at the Sioux City Family Worship Center who will attend a summer camp in Dayton, Iowa, later this year. The church is trying to raise $15,000 to send 50 children to the camp.

By Tuesday evening, the Washington McNugget had one bid for $100.

"We just screamed," Speights said. "We don't know who it is or where they're from. That bid came within the first hour."

Speights said the McNugget almost became a snack during a visit to a Sioux City McDonald's three years ago but was spared because her children wanted to play instead of eat.

It wasn't until she was about to throw the food away that Speights spotted fast food's version of the United States' first president.

"I looked down at the McNugget and just started laughing," Speights said. "I saw this portrait of George Washington staring back at me."

Speights took the McNugget home to show her husband, family and friends, some of whom spotted the resemblance right away. Others needed help to see Washington's profile.

Speights tucked the McNugget away in her freezer for three years and was debating throwing it away until a sermon at the Family Worship Center on Sunday convinced her to try to sell it for charity.

Tricia Yanney, children's minister at the church, said she was excited to use the presidential hook as a fundraiser.

"I was totally amazed that it really does look like Washington's profile," Yanney said. "God works in unbelievable ways, and God put it in her heart to do this."

Speights said she believes the McNugget will fit in with other edible eBay oddities such as an Illinois-shaped cornflake and crucifix-shaped Cheetos that have sold in the past.

"It's not one of those things you think would get money, but people put crazy stuff on there (eBay) all the time," Speights said. "For me, it's more the nature of raising money for the kids and not about the McNugget."

deebakes
02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
too much disposable income on some people :idk:

perrhaps
02-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I think her husband had a friend bid on it, just to get rid of the fucking thing.

Acid Trip
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I think her husband had a friend bid on it, just to get rid of the fucking thing.

I might do the same thing if I was him.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
you sure its not jesus

Richard Cranium
02-23-2012, 04:07 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-President-George-Washington-Chicken-McNugget-/320853389443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab45a3083
presently $202.50

redred
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
you guys are weird over there :lol:

Richard Cranium
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
just went up to $356. since I posted

:bid retraction, now back at $202.50

Joebob034
02-23-2012, 04:20 PM
looks like Ireland in reverse

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
just went up to $356. since I posted

:bid retraction, now back at $202.50

never done eBay.....so you can post a bid and then retract it? Totally legal and whatnot?

how much fun would that be????? :lol:

1000 DOLLARS FOR THE NUGGET!

Hal-9000
02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
:-k

I took a dump and it looked like McNuggets.....I wonder ..........

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
never done eBay.....so you can post a bid and then retract it? Totally legal and whatnot?

You're supposed to have a valid reason to retract a bid...and people that constantly do it would have their account suspended or terminated by eBay

Richard Cranium
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Not really, I think only with the sellers permission..

edit: Lance is correct

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2012, 06:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/b4uQL.png

From the eBay site

Godfather
02-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Everyone does see it though right :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Everyone does see it though right :lol:

:nuts:

Richard Cranium
02-24-2012, 03:18 AM
This listing (320853389443) has been removed, or this item is not available.

shill bidding I bet.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
The Sideshow

A Nebraska woman who put a 3-year-old Chicken McNugget up for auction on eBay has netted $8,100 for her local church.

Last month, the Sideshow told you about Rebekah Speight and the piece of fried fast food she says resembles George Washington. Speight said at the time she was selling the McNugget for help raise money for a youth camp run by her church, the Family Worship Center, in Sioux City, Iowa. The nugget sale was originally only expected to be a small contribution to the worship center's ultimate fundraising goal of $15,000.

When we first reported the story, the McNugget was locked in relative obscurity, with a then-leading bid of just over $100. By the time the auction finished, its page had been viewed more than 40,000 times and received 71 bids on its way to $8,100.

The auction was temporarily pulled offline because it violated eBay's rules against selling expired food products. However, the site quickly reinstated the auction, telling Speight in an email that eBay was "willing to make exceptions to help your cause."

After Speight's auction went viral, it became clear that people were just as excited, if not more, about helping the fundraising effort as acquiring the presidential piece of chicken. Speight herself appealed to potential bidders, writing on the auction site that, "by bidding on this rare 'President George Washington Chicken McNugget' … not only will you have an opportunity to be the new owner of this rare find, but you will be investing in the lives of children."

The auction has even inspired some other sellers trying to cash in on the mini-phenomenon. One seller is offering a George Washington Chicken McNugget magnet for your consideration.

After first reporting on the auction, I received hundreds of emails from Sideshow readers who chimed in with their own thoughts on who they saw in the nugget's visage.

Reader Kara wrote, "If you turn the nugget upside down, it looks more like an old man wearing a beret. You can even see his ear!"

Several other readers wrote in to say they saw a different iconic American figure, that of Uncle Sam. And a man named Andrew wrote in to observe, "The Chicken McNugget looks more like a profile of the Jigsaw mask from the 'SAW' movies."

Muddy
03-07-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm auctioning off a booger that looks like RBP..

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
The Associated Press

DAKOTA CITY, Neb. — McWashington needs a new home.

The top bidder for a McNugget that resembles President George Washington has chickened out of the $8,100 deal.

Rebekah Speight (spayt) of Dakota City, Neb., told the Sioux City Journal for a Thursday story that the bidder was "very sorry" but had to back out.

Speight says she has had the McNugget stashed in her freezer for three years and decided to sell it on eBay to help raise money for a drive to send children to church camp this summer.

Speight says eBay rules allow her to offer the McNugget to the second-highest bidder, who had offered $8,000. If that falls through, she can offer it to the third-highest bidder and so on. She has 60 days to decide what to do.

deebakes
03-10-2012, 03:21 AM
:rofl: