PDA

View Full Version : Ohio shooting: One dead at Chardon High School

redred
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
A US student has been killed and four injured in a high school shooting in Chardon, Ohio, police have said.

The students were injured when a gunman opened fire in the cafeteria at Chardon High School, the FBI said, which was busy at breakfast time.

Two of the injured were taken by helicopter to Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Heights, and three others went by ambulance to Cleveland Hospital.

Authorities say one gunman was involved, and he has been arrested.

An official said that four boys and one girl were injured in the shooting.

'Get down'
Ambulances arrived from Chardon as well as from three nearby towns within 30 minutes of the shooting, which happened at 07:30 local time (12:30 GMT).

Local news reports said the gunman was chased out of the building by a teacher before turning himself in to two people in the vicinity of the school.

"I am happy to tell you that the student that did the shooting is captured," a sheriff's official said to reporters at the scene.

"He actually turned himself in to a couple of innocent bystanders just north of the city here in Chardon township."

Some students said they recognised the shooter, and have described him as a classmate.

One boy who was in the cafeteria at when gunfire broke out told US news channel MSNBC: "I thought it was firecrackers at first, I wasn't sure.

"And then I saw a bunch of people running out. So I started running... I heard someone yell behind me: 'Get down'. And I heard a bunch of shots fired behind me."

Lockdown
Students were evacuated to a nearby elementary school, where parents flocked to collect them. Chardon High School has about 1,100 pupils.

Officials from a number of law enforcement authorities are on the scene.

A special operations team is said to be combing the school, while the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has sent a team of eight agents to trace the firearm.

Other schools in the Chardon area were locked down as the investigation began, reports say.

Chardon, a town of about 5,000 residents, is located about 30 miles (48km) east of the city of Cleveland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17182562

PorkChopSandwiches
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
pumped up kicks

Hal-9000
02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
these cowardly assholes....

too bad he lived, the cops should have fired a couple of warning shots into his head

Pony
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
About 30 miles east of me. :sad:

Locally there's a rumor that he tweeted yesterday he was bringing a gun to school today and no one reported it. I haven't seen any confirmation on that yet.

Loser
02-27-2012, 11:22 PM
As Always, no mention of where he got the firearm.

I've read almost 20 different stories related to this incident, and not one mention of who the firearm owner was.

Pony
02-27-2012, 11:26 PM
As Always, no mention of where he got the firearm.

I've read almost 20 different stories related to this incident, and not one mention of who the firearm owner was.

I don't know that the feds have released that info yet, I'm sure they had their hands full with all the parents, media etc. For at least an hour it was being reported there might be a second shooter... It was probably noon by the time they got things sorted...

Loser
02-27-2012, 11:57 PM
I'd imagine it was the fathers, at which point he should be arrested for accessory to murder.

Pony
02-28-2012, 12:08 AM
I'd imagine it was the fathers, at which point he should be arrested for accessory to murder.

If he was negligent in making sure the gun was in a secure place, I have to agree with you. If it was the fathers and it was kept in a safe/lockbox and he was not aware the son could get access to it...

Hal-9000
02-28-2012, 12:14 AM
It's funny...some Muslim can send a random email to his buddy on Hotmail and the feds are there within the hour...

yet a kid can Tweet that he's bringing a gun to a school and no one blinks an eye...sad really..

Pony
02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
It's funny...some Muslim can send a random email to his buddy on Hotmail and the feds are there within the hour...

yet a kid can Tweet that he's bringing a gun to a school and no one blinks an eye...sad really..

I just found that the tweet was fake. Either a fake twitter account or someone hacked the real account and posted a pic of a kid with guns and a sign reading todays date.