PDA

View Full Version : Shot and bleeding, Seattle Kmart manager disarms gunman

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
By Joel Moreno - KATU-TV Channel 2

http://i.imgur.com/5F6KY.jpg
File Photo

SEATTLE -- The manager of a Seattle Kmart store who was shot during a robbery attempt over the weekend is on a ventilator and being heavily medicated after undergoing surgery, but doctors say he is expected to survive.

Bob Hart was wounded during a struggle with the robber at the store in North Seattle late Saturday.

Police believe the robber slipped into the store in the 13200 block of Aurora Avenue North just before closing time, then found a place to hide.

He spotted Hart and another store employee heading for a back office and made his move.

"He came up behind them with the gun and said that he would kill them, that he wanted the money out of the safe," said Hart's wife, Pamela.

Hart grappled with the armed man while the other employee ran to an office and locked herself inside to call 911.

Through the wall she could hear fighting, then a gunshot.

"She said he screamed, 'I've been shot! I've been shot!'" Pamela said

The bullet hit Hart's left side. Bleeding badly, Hart found himself being manhandled back to the front of the store, where the robber pointed the gun at another store employee and threatened to kill her.

"Bob reached over and smacked him, the gun flew out of his hand," Pamela said.

Within seconds, police SWAT members burst inside and took the 21-year-old gunman into custody, while medics rushed Hart to Harborview Medical Center.

Hart has already undergone surgery to remove his spleen and portions of another organ damaged in the shooting. And he will have to return to the operating table later this week.

Hart's wife says he's very lucky and his actions may have kept others from being hurt or killed.

"I think it was pretty brave of him to do that one last step to try to get the gun away," she said. "He'd already been shot. He probably figured that she was going to be shot as well."

Hal-9000
02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Way to go Bob, that takes some courage :thumbsup:

KevinD
02-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Isn't K-Mart one of the stores that fires employees for resisting robbers?

Oh and tough SOB to get the gun away AFTER being shot!