PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Woman Hands Over Car Keys to Boyfriend & Faces 30 Years in Prison for It

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
by Janelle Harris - The Stir

http://i.imgur.com/r1kh2.jpg

She probably thought she was doing the right thing. When 21-year-old Erin Brown was too wasted to drive her Toyota Scion home after a night out on the town, she gave the keys to her boyfriend, Trevor Bradshaw. Which would’ve been a responsible decision, except he was drunk too — and ended up hitting and killing two pedestrians as he swerved through the streets of Nashville. That’s tragic in and of itself.

But prosecutors are now dusting off a rarely used law to charge Brown with vehicular homicide right along with her man, citing that anyone who knowingly hands over their keys to an intoxicated person is just as liable for any damages as the individual behind the wheel. Now she’s facing 30 years in jail because she wasn’t astute enough in her drunkenness to realize that her boo was too tipsy to drive.

So what we’re basically saying here is that it was up to Brown to discern how far gone Bradshaw was rather than it being up to him to admit that he was too stewed to play chauffeur. Under that line of thinking, it must be a mugging victim’s fault for wearing a super snazzy handbag and tempting a renegade thief to steal it.

The sad fallout from their bad decision-making means two young men are now dead: Michael Brooksher, 22, and Tommy Allen, 23. The best friends both suffered injuries that killed them shortly after they were plowed down at 2:30 in the morning back in December. If the D.A.’s office has its way, this incident will also claim the lives of two more young people, with Brown and Bradshaw serving three decades behind bars, which puts them darn near in their golden years by the time they get out if they serve full sentences.

I’m not saying break out the violins and sad movie music for either of them, especially him. How many high school health classes and bad after school specials does someone have sit through before they get the message that driving drunk, bad; calling taxi, good? But I do think that, barring any idiotic new developments that confirm she was well aware of how inebriated her man actually was, prosecutors are trying — unnecessarily — to make an example out of her.

There are a lot of laws on the books that we all could be slapped with and long suffering because of. In New Jersey, cabbage can't be sold on Sunday, and in Missouri, a man must have a permit to shave. Yet we’re footloose and fancy-free when it comes to those rules. My point is, there are oodles of stupid, silly, downright foolish regulations that we don’t honor or observe. Why crank up this one?

perrhaps
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Giving your keys to a drunk is akin to giving a blowtorch to a pyromaniac. I have no sympathy for her.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Giving your keys to a drunk is akin to giving a blowtorch to a pyromaniac. I have no sympathy for her.

I like how the author is trying to spin the article: it shouldn't have been her responsibility whether to judge if her b/f was too drunk to drive

:-s

I assume since they were leaving at the same time that they were both drinking together and unless her b/f had 2 beers or less, odds are that he was drunk as well and she should have known that. Shame on the author in trying to compare this stupid bitch to a mugging victim :roll:

Pony
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM

I'm on the fence about it. I do think the charges are extreme considering she wasn't driving.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm on the fence about it. I do think the charges are extreme considering she wasn't driving.

Extreme maybe, but 2 people are dead because of what she decided to do...no matter what happens, those people are gone forever.

Pony
02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
True and I agree she should be punished, just not charging her the same as the driver.

RBP
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Meh what a shame.

She's hot so they should let her slide.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Meh what a shame.

She's hot so they should let her slide.

3/10 on that trolling effort brah ;)

RBP
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
I deserve a higher score than that. :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
I was generous with that score :hand:

Loser
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Yea pretty weak. :lol:

RBP
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm getting trolled for trolling. :x

redred
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
:lol:

Hugh_Janus
02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
RBP does havew a point though :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
02-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Not driving, not at fault

Hal-9000
02-28-2012, 07:33 PM
In high school my best buddy was waaaay too bombed to drive so I offered to drive his truck...he laughed and said I couldn't drive it and that I was too juiced to stand up.Long one short he hit a number of cars on a street, we hit a lamppost and upended it, lodging it under another vehicle.(he drove a '73 chev pick up, farmer shift)

When the cops showed up we got questioned in the back of the paramedic van - They said my buddy would have to blow...he undid his jeans and said - Blow this :lol: Downtown for him and they made me walk home (assholes, I was just in an accident that totaled a vehicle)

Point being...both of us were too intoxicated to drive and we both knew it.

Joebob034
02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
:hitit: In her defense, when you're drunk everyone is convincing. "Are you drunk? No, ok here are my keys." I'm not saying she's totally not at fault but 30 years seems a little excessive.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
In high school my best buddy was waaaay too bombed to drive so I offered to drive his truck...he laughed and said I couldn't drive it and that I was too juiced to stand up.Long one short he hit a number of cars on a street, we hit a lamppost and upended it, lodging it under another vehicle.(he drove a '73 chev pick up, farmer shift)

When the cops showed up we got questioned in the back of the paramedic van - They said my buddy would have to blow...he undid his jeans and said - Blow this :lol: Downtown for him and they made me walk home (assholes, I was just in an accident that totaled a vehicle)

Point being...both of us were too intoxicated to drive and we both knew it.

So you should have been charged as well, for allowing and getting in. Point taken

Hal-9000
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
So you should have been charged as well, for allowing and getting in. Point taken

He called me the next morning and said - hal, I want you to come over here and explain to me where my truck is and what happened.He thought someone had pulled out on the road and hit him....

I don't think this girl should go to jail for giving up her keys....as the article mentioned - What kind of judgment do you have when you're that impaired, as to how impaired other people are? That onus should not reside with her...

Us on the other hand....we were stupid and deserve everything that happened.We were fortunate no one got hurt but us (and some vehicles)

deebakes
02-29-2012, 03:23 AM
:doggybanana:

Godfather
02-29-2012, 03:47 AM

That's how I feel too. Criminal? Yes. Worth 30 years? Not in my opinion.

Take that fuggin' driver and charge him with everything in the books though.

RBP
02-29-2012, 03:50 AM
That's how I feel too. Criminal? Yes. Worth 30 years? Not in my opinion.

criminal no. she did the right thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 03:59 AM
criminal no. she did the right thing.

Handing the keys over to another drunk person is the right thing? How do you figure?

Godfather
02-29-2012, 04:03 AM
The failure to use reasonable care to avoid consequences that threaten or harm the safety of the public and that are the foreseeable outcome of acting in a particular manner.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee go drinking all night together. Tweedledum is too drunk to drive and so hands the keys to Tweedledum.

I couldn't be more against Drinking and Driving... but if I get drunk enough and decide it's a great idea, and as a result kill someone, it is criminal negligence (negligent homicide). Same would be the case for handing a child a gun while drunk (endangerment of a child). So why is handing they keys of a 1500lb car off to your drinking buddy so different?