PDA

View Full Version : Woman found to have blood alcohol level 5 times the limit

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
By Austin L. Miller - Ocala.com

http://i.imgur.com/9rtoK.jpg

OCALA – The Marion County Sheriff's Office arrested a Silver Springs Shores woman on a charge of DUI after a breath test indicated her blood alcohol level was more than five times the limit at which someone is presumed to be driving drunk.

The driver, Leianne Francine Lazarus, 33, was arrested Monday afternoon and taken to a hospital for treatment, according to a Marion County Sheriff's Office report.

Shortly before 4 p.m., the Sheriff’s Office received a report from a concerned citizen about a woman who was driving recklessly on North Baseline Road.

Sgt. Thomas J. Barclay saw the vehicle, described as an early model four-door Hyundai, heading south on Baseline Road. It stopped in the northbound lane Baseline, just south of the intersection at Northeast 35th Street.

Deputy Doreen Casolo was called to the scene. Lazarus, the driver, told him she was trying to get home, according to the report.

Barclay asked Lazarus to get out of the car so it could be moved, because it was blocking northbound traffic. Lazarus was “unable to walk without assistance” and had “a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage," the report said.

Casolo said Lazarus could not perform a field sobriety exercise and was taken to the Marion County Jail, where she took a breath test. The results were .447 and .466. The state’s legal limit - the level at which a driver is presumed to be intoxicated - is .08.

Because of her high level of intoxication, Lazarus was transported to Munroe Regional Medical Center, where she stayed until 1 a.m. At that time, she was checked again, and the level was .279.

Lazarus was released from the hospital and taken to jail. She declined an interview request from the Star-Banner.

Dr. Bruce Goldberger, professor and director of toxicology at the University of Florida College of Medicine at Shands in Gainesville, said Tuesday that, while Lazarus’ blood alcohol level “was in the lethal range,” she must have a high degree of tolerance for alcohol.

The professor said one in two people - 50 percent of the adult population - would be dead with a blood alcohol concentration of .40 or higher.

At the hospital, Goldberger said, doctors would do a number of tests to see if the patient is stable. They’re only released to the jail only if the person would require little to no medical surveillance.

Capt. Ron Burnett, a watch commander at the jail, said anyone with a blood alcohol level of .30 or higher is sent to the hospital for an evaluation.

deebakes
02-29-2012, 03:16 AM
well done :tup:

Godfather
02-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Most people are dead at about .35 right? That's pretty shocking...

Arkady Renko
02-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Most people are dead at about .35 right? That's pretty shocking...

I live close to the polish border, so I know quite a few people from the other side. .35 is usually the level where their withdrawal symptoms subside.

Joebob034
02-29-2012, 05:16 PM
nice tat

Hal-9000
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I live close to the polish border, so I know quite a few people from the other side. .35 is usually the level where their withdrawal symptoms subside.

:lol:

Hal-9000
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Lazarus indeed....good name for her