PDA

View Full Version : U.S. announces diplomatic breakthrough with North Korea

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
By Laura Rozen | The Envoy

http://i.imgur.com/vxBFc.jpg

The United States announced a major diplomatic breakthrough with North Korea Wednesday.

Under an agreement reached in direct talks in Beijing last week, North Korea has agreed to allow the return of International Atomic Energy Agency nuclear inspectors, as well as to implement a moratorium on long-range missile tests, nuclear tests, and nuclear activities at Yongbyon, including uranium enrichment activities, the State Department said. In return, the United States will provide North Korea with a major food aid package.

"To improve the atmosphere for dialogue and demonstrate its commitment to denuclearization, the DPRK has agreed to implement a moratorium on long-range missile launches, nuclear tests and nuclear activities at Yongbyon, including uranium enrichment activities," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a press statement Wednesday. "The DPRK has also agreed to the return of IAEA inspectors to verify and monitor the moratorium on uranium enrichment activities at Yongbyon and confirm the disablement of the 5-MW reactor and associated facilities."

Despite the stunning breakthrough, "the United States still has profound concerns regarding North Korean behavior across a wide range of areas," Nuland's statement continued, but added that "today's announcement reflects important, if limited, progress in addressing some of these."

In return, the United States will "move forward with our proposed package of 240,000 metric tons of nutritional assistance along with the intensive monitoring required for the delivery of such assistance," she said.

U.S. envoy on North Korean affairs Glynn Davies last week held the first face-to-face talks with his North Korean counterpart Kim Kye Gwan since the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il in December.

Davies' Feb. 23-24 discussions in Beijing asserted several points, Nuland's statement said. Among them, "the United States reaffirms that it does not have hostile intent toward the DPRK," and that U.S. sanctions are not targeted against the livelihood of the North Korean people.

Arms control experts welcomed the signs of progress from Washington's efforts to engage Pyongyang despite years of tumultuous, on and off again negotiations that have seen many setbacks.

"Today's announcement is an important step toward a verifiable freeze of the most worrisome North Korean nuclear activities," Daryl Kimball, of the Arms Control Association, wrote in an analysis of the announced agreement. "President Barack Obama and Amb. Glynn Davies ... need to maintain the momentum in the weeks and months ahead."

Southern Belle
02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
They're doing nuclear testing and the people are starving. What a bunch of dick heads.

I'll refrain from saying something racist.

FBD
02-29-2012, 05:26 PM
nothing wrong with insulting those who abuse their positions of power ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I guess there are a few things that bother me about this whole situation with North Korea. First let me say though, that if it holds up, it's great news and maybe now that Kim Jong Il is dead, the country will slowly become a little more normal and open.

However, with all this bluster by North Korea all these years and with them being right on the Chinese border, how come it's the United States that has to be the one to send food aid (and more than likely financial aid to follow)? Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping the people of North Korea as they have suffered immensely under Kim Jong Il, but the Chinese are right next door FFS, they could have easily squashed all this nuclear weapon bullshit and sent tons and tons of food to North Korea all this whole time.

It makes no sense as to what the whole end game was for the Chinese on this whole thing. You know they already don't like that we have so many military personnel in South Korea, so why would they actually want better relations between North Korea and the United States? That means there will be more Americans over there and even closer to China than they already are.

I just don't get it.

DemonGeminiX
02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
The Chinese don't help their own people. Why would they bother helping the North Koreans?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
The Chinese don't help their own people. Why would they bother helping the North Koreans?

To keep more Americans from being on the Korean peninsula

Hal-9000
02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Isn't it like Pakistan and India?

Perhaps China doesn't feel the need to help if NK has been giving them the hand for years...

Richard Cranium
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
China helps plenty, free weapons and training. Food isn't an issue in their eyes because it's every bit as good as it is back in China.

Hal-9000
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
China helps plenty, free weapons and training. Food isn't an issue in their eyes because it's every bit as good as it is back in China.

:hand: North Korean rice is waaaay better than Chinese rice

perrhaps
02-29-2012, 07:52 PM
How many stray dogs are we shipping there?

Acid Trip
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I guess there are a few things that bother me about this whole situation with North Korea. First let me say though, that if it holds up, it's great news and maybe now that Kim Jong Il is dead, the country will slowly become a little more normal and open.

However, with all this bluster by North Korea all these years and with them being right on the Chinese border, how come it's the United States that has to be the one to send food aid (and more than likely financial aid to follow)? Don't get me wrong, I am all for helping the people of North Korea as they have suffered immensely under Kim Jong Il, but the Chinese are right next door FFS, they could have easily squashed all this nuclear weapon bullshit and sent tons and tons of food to North Korea all this whole time.

It makes no sense as to what the whole end game was for the Chinese on this whole thing. You know they already don't like that we have so many military personnel in South Korea, so why would they actually want better relations between North Korea and the United States? That means there will be more Americans over there and even closer to China than they already are.

I just don't get it.

China knows the US would never attack them. They have us by the balls just like we have them by the balls.

They manufacture everything and we buy everything. If we attack China who is going to manufacture everything we use? If they attack us who will buy all the crap they manufacture?

It also helps that both sides have nukes. China changed their foreign policy to state they "would NOT use nuclear weapons UNLESS attacked by a superior conventional Army" aka the United States.

Southern Belle
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
All of this is the racist thing I was trying not to post. India doesn't help Pakistan, China doesn't help N Korea, nor do any of them help their own people. Heartless bastards with no conscience.

Muddy
02-29-2012, 09:36 PM
All of this is the racist thing I was trying not to post. India doesn't help Pakistan, China doesn't help N Korea, nor do any of them help their own people. Heartless bastards with no conscience.

That's not racist..

Hugh_Janus
02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
That's not racist..

shut it, you cracka!

Acid Trip
02-29-2012, 10:22 PM
That's not racist..

Actually it is. Koreans are not Chinese and Pakistani are not Indians.

They have different languages/cultures/traditions and generally don't get along. They may look alike but they are totally different. That's like asking why the Irish and English fought for so long. They are all the same right? No, they may be white but they are definitely not the same people.

Iffy
02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Belle did not say they were the same people. Her premise is that the Chinese and Indian people do little for their own and even less for others

Noilly Pratt
02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Wish I knew my history about Korea better...would like to know if this has anything to do with the Korean conflict of the 50's. All I know about that is what's shown on M*A*S*H*.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Wish I knew my history about Korea better...would like to know if this has anything to do with the Korean conflict of the 50's. All I know about that is what's shown on M*A*S*H*.

North and South Korea are technically still at war, there was no peace accord signed in 1953, just a cease-fire.

Hal-9000
02-29-2012, 11:16 PM
The only reason I brought up India and Pakistan as an analogy is because they're neighbors.I have East Indian friends and coworkers....trust me, they hate being called 'Pakis'. That was one of the first things I learned about them.Second thing was that not every East Indian is of the Muslim or Hindi faith.Quite a few are Christians...

anyway, it's about being neighbors...not who's related to who so I think we can stop the racist angle.