PDA

View Full Version : FBI anti-terrorism expert: TSA is useless

Teh One Who Knocks
02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
By Cory Doctorow - BoingBoing

Steve Moore, who identifies himself as a former FBI Special Agent and head of the Los Angeles Joint Terrorism Task Force Al Qaeda squad, says that the TSA is useless. He says that they don't catch terrorists. He says they won't catch terrorists. He says that they can't catch terrorists. Oh, he also claims 35 years' piloting experience and a father was United's head of security and anti-hijacking SWAT training and experience.

Frankly, the professional experience I have had with TSA has frightened me. Once, when approaching screening for a flight on official FBI business, I showed my badge as I had done for decades in order to bypass screening. (You can be envious, but remember, I was one less person in line.) I was asked for my form which showed that I was armed. I was unarmed on this flight because my ultimate destination was a foreign country. I was told, "Then you have to be screened." This logic startled me, so I asked, "If I tell you I have a high-powered weapon, you will let me bypass screening, but if I tell you I'm unarmed, then I have to be screened?" The answer? "Yes. Exactly." Another time, I was bypassing screening (again on official FBI business) with my .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol, and a TSA officer noticed the clip of my pocket knife. "You can't bring a knife on board," he said. I looked at him incredulously and asked, "The semi-automatic pistol is okay, but you don't trust me with a knife?" His response was equal parts predictable and frightening, "But knives are not allowed on the planes."...

The report goes on to state that the virtual strip search screening machines are a failure in that they cannot detect the type of explosives used by the “underwear bomber” or even a pistol used as a TSA’s own real-world test of the machines. Yet TSA has spent approximately $60 billion since 2002 and now has over 65,000 employees, more than the Department of State, more than the Department of Energy, more than the Department of Labor, more than the Department of Education, more than the Department of Housing and Urban Development---combined. TSA has become, according to the report, “an enormous, inflexible and distracted bureaucracy more concerned with……consolidating power.”

Each time the TSA is publically called to account for their actions, they fight back with fear-based press releases which usually begin with “At a time like this….” Or “Al Qaeda is planning—at this moment …..” The tactic, of course, is to throw the spotlight off the fact that their policies are doing nothing to make America safer “at a time like this.” Sometimes doing the wrong thing is just as bad as doing nothing.

Southern Belle
02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
:nono: Don't expect them to use common sense.

Hal-9000
02-29-2012, 11:38 PM
The scariest thing I saw was a special after 9/11 occurred.The guy was a security expert and traveled around America trying to get items through airports.

He managed to get everything from a machete (yes, a large curved version), to a gun through airport security.This was after the new screening policies were instituted and America was a little more than nervous in terms of who's taking what onto a plane.

deebakes
03-01-2012, 01:02 AM
sometimes the pat down is the highlight of some fat dudes day :shrug:

MrsM
03-01-2012, 01:24 AM
One time during screening they looked at my "liquids" baggie and took out a bottle of cream. the largest volume of a liquid that you can carry is 100ml - this bottle was 110ml. However it was more than half empty. The bottle still fit in the bag so I figured it was ok...

They said that I couldn't take it because it was more then the allowed 100ml volume... I noted that it was less than 100 ml's probably closer to 40ml. The person said that they couldn't determine the exact volume and since the bottle was greater than 100 ml it was possible that it was greater than 100ml.

I tried to explain to the guy that if it was full it would be 110ml... less than half full would mean that it's less than 100ml.

Finally a "supervisor" walked by and he told this other person what the problem was ... the supervisor just looked at him like he was a complete idiot and told him that it's ok and to let me go.

I can see if I tried to bring in 100ml's of a liquid in a 2ltr bottle - that they may have a problem determining the volume... but come on

deebakes
03-01-2012, 01:29 AM
you seem like you were guilty and should have been subjected to humiliating screening :lol:

MrsM
03-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Never been patted down - but get the body scan probably 50% of the time :)

Muddy
03-01-2012, 02:02 AM
A body cavity search...