PDA

View Full Version : Bank Of America Looks To Charge More Fees

PorkChopSandwiches
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
You might be angry over Bank Of America’s checking fees but you shouldn’t be surprised.

http://i.imgur.com/hCYDb.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reported today that BofA is “working on sweeping changes that would require many users of basic checking accounts to pay a monthly fee unless they agree to bank online, buy more products or maintain certain balances.”

A BofA spokesperson says the fees are being tested in certain markets in order “to learn from those tests before we make any final decisions.”

You might recall last year when BofA was toying with the idea of charging customers a $5 debit card fee. That didn’t go over well with the public and the bank backtracked.

The fees mentioned in todays Journal story are related to basic checking accounts; $6 to $9 a month for an “Essentials” account while other account options being tested in some states carry monthly charges of $9, $12, $15 and $25, the Journal reports. Customers can avoid the fees by maintaining minimum balances, using a credit card or taking a mortgage with Bank of America.

This shouldn’t come as shocking news to anyone paying attention to the banking industry recently which is struggling with flat or decreased revenue numbers. As a result, many of them are looking for new ways to make money. Bank of America, the nation’s second largest bank by deposits, is no exception and has been testing new fees for over a year.

So before there’s another round of outrage over bank fees it’s important to understand why these fees are being imposed on consumers. As mentioned above, it hasn’t been the best environment for banks in terms of revenue; interest rates are down meaning there’s less money to be made off deposits and loans, and there are more regulations out there that are affecting the way banks make money.

Just a couple of examples of that: The Durbin Amendment which limits the amount banks can charge retailer for debit card swipe fees and the CARD Act which, among other things, keeps banks from charging overdraft fees. There’s also news that the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau is re-visting the over draft issue– it recently launched an inquiry asking banks for data about their overdraft practices.

BofA fourth quarter revenue was down by $400 million in part because of the Durbin Amendment. JPMorgan Chase says its annualized net income could fall $600 million. That’s serious money in an environment with interest rates as low as they are.

So yes, while fees may feel unfair the reality is banks need to be able to generate healthy revenue and income. Bank of America, with all its recent struggles from Countrywide to questions about its capital levels, has even more to prove to both regulators and investors.

Muddy
03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Bad business move.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
yep, I have said it before I stopped banking with them years ago because of the way they nickle and dime you, Credit Unions FTW!

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I had AT confirm that we get raped up here...I pay 15 dollars/per month for an unlimited debit account.Along with 'other bank charges' and ODP fees my monthly charge is around 23 or 25 dollars per month.

25 x 12 = 300 per year and I don't write checks or other functions :|

PorkChopSandwiches
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I had AT confirm that we get raped up here|

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I had AT confirm that we get raped up here...I pay 15 dollars/per month for an unlimited debit account.Along with 'other bank charges' and ODP fees my monthly charge is around 23 or 25 dollars per month.

25 x 12 = 300 per year and I don't write checks or other functions :|

I have free checking :)

Although starting this year they added a requirement, I had to use my debit card a minimum of 12 times per month for the free checking account. That's no problem for me because I rarely use cash and I use my debit card all the time.

Acid Trip
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
All brought to you by the Frank-Dodd bill.

I remember how Barney Frank preached that the price of everything would go down because "the fees banks charged on credit/debit transactions were lower so the prices could be lowered". Except that never happened. Retailers just pocket the savings instead of sending it to the banks as fees. Didn't take a genius to see that coming.

Acid Trip
03-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I have free checking :)

Although starting this year they added a requirement, I had to use my debit card a minimum of 12 times per month for the free checking account. That's no problem for me because I rarely use cash and I use my debit card all the time.

That's a popular stipulation. They get a set fee with each card swipe and 12 usually covers the operating costs of your account.

Most of our new customers get a free checking account with one simple rule. If you have a monthly direct deposit (like your paycheck) the account is free.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
That's a popular stipulation. They get a set fee with each card swipe and 12 usually covers the operating costs of your account.

Most of our new customers get a free checking account with one simple rule. If you have a monthly direct deposit (like your paycheck) the account is free.

Direct deposit was another option for keeping the account free, but the company I work for doesn't offer DD.

minz
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a monthly fee for my current account (I think that's the equivalent of your checking account) but that covers everything, including an overdraft if I so choose.

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Direct deposit was another option for keeping the account free, but the company I work for doesn't offer DD.

Holy Medieval times :lol: ...really?

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Up here it seems to be the opposite...the more debits you do, the more you get charged.I have the unlimited debits per month account and asked - can I get a cheaper account with debits? They said yes, it's 9 dollars per month but you only get something like 6 debits :lol:

I do 6 debits per day sometimes...

Muddy
My banks work for me... They notarize shit for free, they help facilitate deals, they give me most all my services free.. And in return I let them hold a nice chunk of change..

Acid Trip
Holy Medieval times :lol: ...really?

That's what I was thinking.

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
That's what I was thinking.

It has to cost them more to cut and print checks, do a manual payroll etc...

well of course it does :doh: that's the business I'm in :lol:

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
My banks work for me... They notarize shit for free, they help facilitate deals, they give me most all my services free.. And in return I let them hold a nice chunk of change..

Richie Rich bastid

Muddy
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Richie Rich bastid

Not hardly.. More like 'been working for close to 25 years bastid'.. :lol:

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Not hardly.. More like 'been working for close to 25 years bastid'.. :lol:

you smell like old money...get outta here with your ol toilin in the mines stories

*yeah we have accounts like that up here too....if you hold a balance of X-amount monthly, we give you free checks etc...

Muddy
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
you smell like old money...get outta here with your ol toilin in the mines stories

Not hardly.. When I graduated High school and wanted to move out my parents wouldn't even let me take my brass bed with me.. :lol: They said they owned it..

PorkChopSandwiches
03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
did they at least give you a slave?

Muddy
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
did they at least give you a slave?

I prefer to call him my man servant... If we are in public i call him... *sigh* friend..

Hal-9000
Not hardly.. When I graduated High school and wanted to move out my parents wouldn't even let me take my brass bed with me.. :lol: They said they owned it..

I have no idea...just messing with you.If you can save that much scratch buying a house and having a family, well done..

When I wanted my first car I asked if my parents could let me use theirs or sell me one.After my Dad finally stopped laughing, I bought a 300 dollar beater :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
I prefer to call him my man servant... If we are in public i call him... *sigh* friend..

Acid Trip

Sucks being politically correct.

Muddy
03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I have no idea...just messing with you.If you can save that much scratch buying a house and having a family, well done..

I've done pretty well these last 10 years tbh.. Im not rich by any means or trying to brag..

Sucks being politically correct.

Hal-9000
03-01-2012, 08:38 PM

oh yeah, I forgot he comes from plantation-ville :lol:

friend....fuck off and quit making me laugh, you're ruining my bad day...