PDA

View Full Version : Amazing list of prisoners’ complaints EXCLUSIVE

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
By Suzanne McTaggart - Yorkshire Evening Post

http://i.imgur.com/pGVUK.jpg

Inmates at Leeds prison made a whopping 850 complaints in the final three months of last year, the YEP can reveal.

Prisoners at Armley jail registered the complaints between the start of October and the end of December.

They include a request from one inmate for more boxer shorts because his were “missing” and one prisoner complaining that he had paid twice for a TV guide.

At least 30 of the complaints were about food, including a request for “decent hot chocolate” and another for “chips and jacket”.

One prisoner filed a complaint because his sandwich was out of date, while five registered their discontent with the Christmas menu on December 12.

A Prison Service spokesperson said: “Prisoners are expected to raise concerns with prison staff, so their matter can be addressed appropriately. The formal complaints system exists so they can raise more important issues.

“Often topics raised under the complaints system are more appropriate to be dealt with by other means, but are registered as a complaint. A decision is then made within the establishment on the appropriate course of action.

“Nevertheless, issues that can seem quite minor can cause disproportionate concern to prisoners. A formal complaints system plays an important part in defusing these concerns.”

Other food-related complaints at the Category B prison, which was recorded as housing 1,120 inmates in December 2011, included issues with portion sizes, allergies, quality and variety.

At least 35 complaints were made about electrical items, with one inmate unhappy about the TV broadcasting Radio 5 Live.

Up to 20 complaints related to broken washing machines, telephones, televisions and radios; while requests were made for toasters, irons, TVs and kettles.

On November 30, a prisoner complained after a flood in the wing damaged his trainers, with another filing a grievance on December 15 because he wasn’t allowed his PlayStation.

Others wanted access to grooming equipment like beard trimmers and razors, while one inmate asked for a quilt.

A total of nine prisoners complained on December 5 because it was “cold on wing and in cell”, while one inmate whinged to staff about “works outside of window at 3am” on October 21.

Dozens of complaints also regarded items going missing, including tobacco, tracksuits, contact lenses, posters, photographs, tapes and boxer shorts.

Joebob034
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I would register a complaint "I don't like being in jail, let me go."