PDA

View Full Version : Michigan woman still collecting food stamps after winning $1 million lottery

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow

http://i.imgur.com/QW8da.jpg

People love stories about someone winning the lottery and then giving the money away. They're less likely to feel fondly about Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit.

Back in December, a woman in Washington State fell under scrutiny when it was revealed she was receiving state economic benefits even though she lives in a $1 million waterfront home on Lake Washington.

Clayton, who says she owns two homes and a new car, receives $200 a month in food assistance from the state-issued Michigan Bridge Card, which is meant to benefit lower-income residents in the nation's eigth most economically depressed state.

Twenty-five percent of Michigan's residents receive some form of food assistance from the state. The state's unemployment rate is 9.3 percent, more than a full point above the national average, but has dropped from a 10.4 percent peak in August.

And Clayton isn't embarrassed about living off the state even though she now finds herself in the nation's top tax bracket. "I mean I kinda do," Clayton told Local 4 when asked if she had a "right" to the government welfare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTjEwuuBRBE

She certainly doesn't the fit the mold of other lottery winners we have told you about here at the Sideshow, including the number of repeat winners of the Georgia State Lottery, many of whom chose to donate their initial winnings to charity or family members in need.

Clayton downplayed her wealth, saying she took the $1 million in a lump sump, which meant about half immediately went to taxes. "I feel that it's OK because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay," she said. "I have two houses."

Her story has already caught attention locally, where state Republican Rep. Dale Zorn has sponsored a bill preventing individuals like Clayton from taking state financial assistance.

"Public assistance should be given to those who are in need of public assistance, not those who have found riches," Zorn told Local 4. The bill, which has already passed the state House and has a sister bill in the Senate, would require the state to cross check the names of lottery winners over $1,000 to see if they are also receiving state financial benefits.

Hal-9000
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
:facepalm:

meanwhile, some guy who lost his job is trying to support 3 kids and a wife while living in a box...

ffs

PorkChopSandwiches
03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
what a dumb cunt

Hal-9000
03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Thinking she has the right....idiot

government allowing it to happen...pure idiocy

Loser
03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
This....This is why I ENJOY paying taxes.....:roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
The reason she is like this is all because of the evil republicans, they forced her to be this way :nono:

Hal-9000
03-07-2012, 11:00 PM
The reason she is like this is all because of the evil republicans, they forced her to be this way :nono:

quite apparent it's FBD brainwashing :thumbsup:

Pony
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
So if she used her assistance money to win the lotto is the state entitled to half her winnings? :lol:

Hugh_Janus
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
she should've been punched in the tit

minz
03-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Complete selfish moron!

MrsM
03-08-2012, 12:02 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2h81k43.jpg

DemonGeminiX
03-08-2012, 12:08 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2h81k43.jpg

I feel my allergies rising just looking at it.

MrsM
03-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I feel my allergies rising just looking at it.

That's too bad - seafood tastes sooooo good :yummy:

DemonGeminiX
03-08-2012, 12:20 AM
:sad2:

Southern Belle
03-08-2012, 01:47 AM
We have a generation that feels entitled to everything. Dumb shits.

Godfather
03-08-2012, 02:08 AM
I read a book once where a community was trying to survive the end of the world... anyone who took from the communal pot subjected themselves to random mandatory searches. Any hoarders of food were cut off, except their children.

Southern Belle
03-08-2012, 02:10 AM
At the rate we're going, it may come to that.

deebakes
03-08-2012, 02:35 AM
:wtf2:

Southern Belle
03-08-2012, 02:44 AM
:slap: she only has $350k. How the hell is she supposed to buy groceries with that?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2012, 01:02 AM
The Associated Press

LINCOLN PARK, Mich. (AP) — State officials say a Detroit-area woman who won a $1 million lottery prize but continued to get food stamps has been removed from the food assistance program.

The Michigan Department of Human Services said Wednesday the lottery winner no longer was getting benefits. It followed a report this week from WDIV-TV in which 24-year-old Amanda Clayton of Lincoln Park acknowledged continuing to get $200 in monthly food aid after her September win.

Her mother, Euline Clayton, tells The Detroit News her daughter didn't break any laws.

Legislation in Lansing would require lottery and other gambling winnings to factor into eligibility for government food assistance programs. The legislation comes after a Bay County man last spring said he continued using food stamps despite winning a $2 million lottery prize in 2010.

deebakes
03-09-2012, 02:04 AM
:clap:

perrhaps
03-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Hasn't this poor, unfortunate woman suffered enough? Let's face it, except for Eminem's mother, she's got to be the only other white woman who still lives in Detroit.

deebakes
09-30-2012, 06:46 PM
A woman who admitted to receiving food stamps after winning $1 million on a Michigan state lotto game show was found dead today.

The circumstances surrounding Amanda Clayton's death were not immediately released by police, but ABC News' Detroit affiliate WXYZ-TV reported that sources within the police department said they suspect the woman died of an overdose.

An autopsy is pending on Clayton's body, which was found at a home in Ecorse, Mich., police said.

Clayton, who became a millionaire after her big win last September, caused outrage earlier this year when it was revealed she was continuing to get $200 in monthly food aid from the state.

According to the attorney general's office, Clayton failed to report her winnings and employment while receiving $5,475 in food and medical assistance.

"It's simply common sense that million dollar lottery winners forfeit their right to public assistance," Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said in a statement. "We will continue to work with local, state and federal authorities to uphold state laws intended to ensure wise stewardship of taxpayer dollars."

Michigan public assistance programs require participants to report income and employment.

She pleaded no contest to welfare fraud and was sentenced to probation in July.

Goofy
09-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Funny, i saw the pic on the OP and instantly thought 'druggie scumbag'.......... i love being proved correct :dance:

:rip:

8-[