PDA

View Full Version : Bearing failure again!!

Tank
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Right you mechanically gifted lot. I changed a bearing on the O/S/R no more than a month ago. And the car failed on the MOT yesterday with excessive play in that side bearing!

Any ideas as to what could be causing the failure? I’ve been told it may need a new stub axle, possibly warped/worn Drums where the bearing fit or the bearing wasn’t tightened to the right torque.

The cars a 2000 Focus 1.6. with drums on the rear.

i'd rather nt be forking out for new axle/drums if not required

Pony
03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Only a month? I'd be checking to see if it needs retorqued. Probable it wasn't totally seated.

KevinD
03-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd agree with Pony. I thin the new bearing wasn't installed correctly. Other than that, does that axle have a history with bearings? Could be the offset/spacer on the rim is wrong causing uneven load?

Tank
03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
cheers guys, got a local garage to fit a new one yesterday for the price of 1/2 hrs labour.

he thinks it may just be the brand of bearings i have are poor quality. really doesnt think theres any issue with the stub axle or drum as there didnt seem to be any probs with the stub, and the bearing went in and out smooth to the drum so no issues there he thinks.

will get this through the MOT hopefully. then if it goes again will have to spend a couple more quid on Ford bearings instead.

may have also found my new reliable local garage for future work as my other one has moved to 'high end' cars and doesnt seem to have time for old customers/cars :rolleyes: