PDA

View Full Version : Government-subsidized green light bulb carries costly price tag

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
By Peter Whoriskey - The Washington Post

http://i.imgur.com/TD88g.jpg

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

Now the winning bulb is on the market.

The price is $50.

Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

“I don’t want to say it’s exorbitant, but if a customer is only looking at the price, they could come to that conclusion,” said Brad Paulsen, merchant for the light-bulb category at Home Depot, the largest U.S. seller of light bulbs. “This is a Cadillac product, and that’s why you have a premium on it.”

How the expensive bulb won a $10 million government prize meant to foster energy-efficient affordability is one of the curiosities that arise as the country undergoes a massive, mandated turnover from traditional incandescent lamps to more energy-efficient ones.

Energy legislation signed by President George W. Bush in 2007 introduced a ban on inefficient incandescent light bulbs, covering traditional 100-watt bulbs this year. Sales of traditional 75-watt incandescents will be prohibited next year, and 60-watt incandescents will go after that.

When replacing a bulb, consumers must now go out and buy energy-efficient incandescent, compact fluorescent and LED (light-emitting diode) bulbs, in a compulsory transition that has prompted some conservatives to characterize the law as an unfair burden on consumers and an “issue of freedom,” as Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) put it.

The L Prize was meant to ease this transition by enticing manufacturers to create affordable bulbs to replace the most common type, the traditional 60-watt.

A Philips spokesman declined to talk in detail about the bulb or its price because the product has yet to be formally launched. It is expected to hit stores within weeks and is available online. But the spokesman said the L Prize bulb costs more because, as the contest required, it is even more energy-efficient, running on 10 watts instead of 12.5 watts. It is also brighter, renders colors better and lasts longer.

Still, the contest set price goals. According to the L Prize guidelines, manufacturers were “strong*ly encouraged to offer products at prices that prove cost-effective and attractive to buyers, and therefore more successful in the market.” The target retail price, including rebates from utilities, was to be $22 in the first year, $15 in the second year and $8 in the third year.

Arkady Renko
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
reality check: failed.

I strongly dislike most energy saving light bulbs because they produce such a cold glare. We bought a large batch of Osram bulbs for the firm in 2009 that produce a so-called "warm-white" light and so far they work nicely. The light is comfortable even on winter days when you need to use it during the entire work day and so far none of them had to be replaced. We got a good deal on the unit price so I suppose we'll start saving money sometime soon. but 50 bucks for one lamp, how are you ever going to save that much power?

KevinD
03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
LED lights don't cost that much, or shouldn't at any rate. This is corporate greed at it's finest.

KevinD
03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
A couple of years ago, I replaced all the bulbs in my house with CF bulbs, thinking that perhaps my energy bill would go down slightly, but more importantly, I wouldn't have to replace them as often. In my experience, my energy usage (KW per Month, not cost, as the rate has gone up) has NOT gone down at all. The CF bulbs don't last for shit either, and they take a long time to "warm up" if the house is below 75 degrees or so. You guys up north are gonna be fubared with them.

Oh, and BTW, ALL my bulbs are now back to incandescent.