PDA

View Full Version : LSD Should Be Considered For Alcoholism Treatment

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Decades ago, researchers would examine LSD's effects on various health conditions including pain, anxiety, and alcoholism. A new study suggests it might be time to revisit the mind-altering drug's therapeutic uses. The study found lysergic acid diethylamide, also known as acid, could help serious alcoholics sober up.

http://i.imgur.com/4oRqL.jpg

"Given the evidence for a beneficial effect of LSD on alcoholism, it is puzzling why this treatment approach has been largely overlooked," study author Pal-Orjan Johansen, a neuroscientist at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, said in a written statement.

For the study, Norwegian researchers reviewed six different LSD studies that were conducted in the U.S. between 1966 and 1970, that examined the effects of LSD on 536 alcoholics. Some patients received a single dose of LSD, while patients who served as controls received a low dose of LSD, a stimulant drug, or nothing at all.

Researchers found nearly 60 percent of patients showed a clear improvement compared with 38 percent of the control group, and were less likely to relapse on alcohol.

Many of the alcoholics who took LSD also reported a "greater self-acceptance and openeness," and said they gained a new appreciation for their alcohol problem and new motivation to address it. The improvement was most evident during the first few months of treatment but gradually waned as months went on. The researchers say since alcoholism is a chronic, relapsing disorder, ongoing LSD treatment might be beneficial. The study is published in the March 8 issue of the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

"LSD may stimulate the formation of new connections and patterns, and generally seems to open an individual to an awareness of new perspectives and opportunities for action," the researchers said in a university statement. "We do not yet fully know why LSD works this way."

Dr. Richard Ries, an addiction psychiatrist at the University of Washington Department of Psychiatry warned that little is known about LSD's side effects, but using one drug to fight addiction to another is nothing new.

"Look at heroin addiction - we use methadone, another type of opiate, and give it to people to prevent them from overdosing," Ries told MyHealthNewsDaily.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, LSD's effects of distorting reality and causing hallucinations can be frightening and cause panic, with "trips" lasting up to 12 hours.

In 2009, the last time data was taken, 779,000 Americans age 12 and older said they had abused LSD at least once in the previous year.

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TW9Eh.gif

Godfather
03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
:lol:

I've heard one trip on mushrooms has been shown to cure depression.

Noilly Pratt
03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Given that alcoholics have addictive personalities, aren't you just trading 1 addiction for another?

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
you are opening their mind

redred
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
i'm an alcoholic now give me my trip :lol:

Shady
03-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Given that alcoholics have addictive personalities, aren't you just trading 1 addiction for another?

No. LSD has very little dependency, if any. Ive taken it numerous times and it isn't one of those things where you wake up the next day and say I need another couple hits. The next can be 10 times worse than any hangover that alcohol has given me, at least in my opinion.

LSD is one of the strongest hallucinogens known to man and with the power that it has, some monumental mental hurdles can be overcome if one goes into it with the right mindset. I believe LSD was the final step in me overcoming my anxiety and crippling panic attacks. I haven't had a panic attack in the last 4 years since I took my first dose.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2012, 07:15 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljiocgyaxN1qc2uloo1_500.gif

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
No. LSD has very little dependency, if any. Ive taken it numerous times and it isn't one of those things where you wake up the next day and say I need another couple hits. The next can be 10 times worse than any hangover that alcohol has given me, at least in my opinion.

LSD is one of the strongest hallucinogens known to man and with the power that it has, some monumental mental hurdles can be overcome if one goes into it with the right mindset. I believe LSD was the final step in me overcoming my anxiety and crippling panic attacks. I haven't had a panic attack in the last 4 years since I took my first dose.

Mushrooms always made me think about nature, other people, and the world in general. I've read several books about mushrooms and the authors suggest that intellectual leap mankind had over animals was due to our experimentation with mushrooms. It opened up our minds and allowed up to progress very quickly compared to other species.

LSD is what I take when I want to sit in my favorite chair and stare at the walls for hours on end.

Shady
03-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Have you ever read PiHKAL? Wonderful read and insight into the realm of hallucinogenic experimentation.

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Have you ever read PiHKAL? Wonderful read and insight into the realm of hallucinogenic experimentation.

I just did a Google search on it and it looks right up my alley. Thanks.

Muddy
03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Acid makes me freak the fuck out...

Hal-9000
03-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I've done tons of LSD....it's not what I'd call a calming drug :lol:

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I've done tons of LSD....it's not what I'd call a calming drug :lol:

Yeah, it's not for everyone. I always have a blast but it makes some people freak out.

Hal-9000
03-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I always had a good time on it...for me, it increased my energy level by about 1000% :lol:

I didn't like the superhuman side effect of being able to drink a 26'er and smoke 14 joints without feeling like you're impaired...

Noilly Pratt
03-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Never done it but my brother's friend did, and he was one of the unlucky ones who never really came back from his trip.

I know it rarely happens, but it happened to him. I lived in a town of 500 people and it really scared everyone there.

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Never done it but my brother's friend did, and he was one of the unlucky ones who never really came back from his trip.

I know it rarely happens, but it happened to him. I lived in a town of 500 people and it really scared everyone there.

The mind can be a scary place. The friend who gave me my first hit said "are you prepared for your mind to play tricks on you?"

MY mind playing tricks on ME?! Bring it on little grey cells, bring it on!

Hal-9000
03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
I did my first hit in grade 7 (purple microdot, very powerful acid...) and drove my 10 speed through a mall about 3 hours after dropping it :lol:

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I did my first hit in grade 7 (purple microdot, very powerful acid...) and drove my 10 speed through a mall about 3 hours after dropping it :lol:

Dayum! That's pretty young to be experimenting with big kid drugs. I didn't try it until I was 21.

Hal-9000
03-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Grade 7 - tried acid, mushrooms, peyote, weed....right around 14 or 15 years old :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
03-09-2012, 10:40 PM
what the hell is this thread about again??? :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I had a nice run with LSD from about 17 to 19 or 20.

I have learned all I need to from it, I cant imagine doing it now that I have kids. I think I would freak out because of that, and that parts never fun

Hal-9000
03-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes getting older you need to think about more things....like real responsibilities :lol:

deebakes
03-10-2012, 03:16 AM
:hand: pcs doesn't think about responsibilities, he thinks about reposts :nono:

FBD
03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
:lol: the paradox of all consumption being empty

PorkChopSandwiches
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
:hand: pcs doesn't think about responsibilities, he thinks about reposts :nono:

Im so good I dont even think about it

deebakes
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM