PDA

View Full Version : Oil is ‘the fuel of the past,’ says President Obama

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
By Olivier Knox | The Ticket

http://i.imgur.com/xCx4f.jpg

President Barack Obama on Wednesday dismissed oil as "the fuel of the past" as he made an unapologetic election-year pitch for his alternative energy industry policies and sniped at Republicans over painfully high gasoline prices.

"They get out on the campaign trail—and you and I both know there are no quick fixes to this problem—but listening to them, you'd think there were," he said at a Daimler Truck manufacturing plant in the battleground state of North Carolina.

Obama said that because the United States accounts for 20 percent of the world's consumption of oil but has only 2 percent of its petroleum reserves, "we're not going to be able to just drill our way out of the problem of high gas prices. Anybody who tells you otherwise either doesn't know what they're talking about or they aren't telling you the truth."

"Here is the truth. If we are going to control our energy future, then we've got to have an all-of-the-above strategy," he said in his speech. "We've got to develop every source of American energy—not just oil and gas, but wind power and solar power, nuclear power, biofuels."

A top congressional Republican, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, hit Obama on his call to end subsidies for oil companies while directing government help to so-called green energy firms, some of which have political ties to the administration.

"When it comes to rising gas prices, the American people don't think it's particularly fair that at a time when they're struggling to fill up the tank, their own tax dollars are being used to subsidize failing solar companies of the president's choosing, not to mention the bonuses that executives at these companies keep getting," McConnell said.

And "if higher gas prices hurt the economy, then why in the world is the administration calling for higher taxes on energy manufacturers?" said the Kentucky lawmaker.

Obama, his hopes for a new term threatened by high gas prices, pushed Republicans in Congress to support ending oil subsidies.

"We can place our bets on the fuel of the past, or we can place our bets on American know-how and American ingenuity and American workers like the ones here at Daimler. That's the choice we face. That's what's at stake right now," said the president.

Obama also used the speech to roll out some new initiatives to promote the use of alternative fuels and electric-powered and other "advanced vehicles."

RBP
03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
He's a moron.

Southern Belle
03-09-2012, 07:34 PM
He's a moron.
Oh yeah!

The sad thing about his alternative energy agenda is that too many of us can't afford it. I personally can't afford a new car and that's what I would have to buy to get something more energy efficient.
I'd LOVE to put in a geothermal heating/cooling system at my house with a small solar system just to run the fans and electronics for it, but I CAN'T AFFORD IT without a steady job.
I'd love to beef up the insulation in my house, but I can't afford to buy insulation without A JOB.
Obama just doesn't get it. He's a moron all right.

Shady
03-09-2012, 07:35 PM
If car companies would stop dicking around with these hybrid and electric cars and focus on the real solution, like honda has, in a decade, oil would be becoming the fuel of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_FCX_Clarity

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Or natural gas, you could fill up at home for like a $1 a gallon

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-natural-gas/

Southern Belle
03-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, the car companies aren't doing much to help. Electric cars are ok, but the electricity to charge the batteries is generated from oil or coal or nuclear....
Alternative fuels OTHER than electricity are what cars need to run on.

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 07:50 PM
If car companies would stop dicking around with these hybrid and electric cars and focus on the real solution, like honda has, in a decade, oil would be becoming the fuel of the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_FCX_Clarity

There is a ton of money/jobs out there where hydrogen powered vehicles are concerned. Think of all the gas stations that would have to add hydrogen pumps to make a hydrogen car truly viable.

The problem is the cars are so damn expensive that setting up the infrastructure to support them is a waste of time till costs come down.

Shady
03-09-2012, 08:05 PM
There is a ton of money/jobs out there where hydrogen powered vehicles are concerned. Think of all the gas stations that would have to add hydrogen pumps to make a hydrogen car truly viable.

The problem is the cars are so damn expensive that setting up the infrastructure to support them is a waste of time till costs come down.

The initial infrastructure will be expensive to change but it will eventually have to be changed. Compared to the amount of hydrogen on earth there is an extremely finite amount of oil. They will have to change it over. And when you look at history, the first cars produced, along with the infrastructure to support them was extremely expensive at that time. It wasn't until years later when companies were able to mass produce and bring the cost down. No matter when they start to change over to hydrogen, it will always be expensive. And charged-battery electric cars are a joke and a waste of time and money.

Edit: Also, I don't think that gas companies will have to put them at every station initially. From what I know of the FCX Clarity, it has a range that is similar to a normal car and takes just about as long to refuel. So only some stations or only one company would have to have them installed for them to be viable.

Muddy
03-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Yeah Im into Hydrogen.. I think Fracking is horrible..

Acid Trip
03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
The initial infrastructure will be expensive to change but it will eventually have to be changed. Compared to the amount of hydrogen on earth there is an extremely finite amount of oil. They will have to change it over. And when you look at history, the first cars produced, along with the infrastructure to support them was extremely expensive at that time. It wasn't until years later when companies were able to mass produce and bring the cost down. No matter when they start to change over to hydrogen, it will always be expensive. And charged-battery electric cars are a joke and a waste of time and money.

Edit: Also, I don't think that gas companies will have to put them at every station initially. From what I know of the FCX Clarity, it has a range that is similar to a normal car and takes just about as long to refuel. So only some stations or only one company would have to have them installed for them to be viable.

I think the first oil company that says "we are going to lead the way on this hydrogen thing" will become the most valuable company in the world. Think about it. Oil is not going away anytime soon, especially in 3rd world nations. You won't hurt the oil side of the company for 50 years and all the while you make extra money from hydrogen (collection, transportation, pumping, infrastructure, etc).

What does your company do? Oil, natural gas, and hydrogen. Game, Set, Match!

FBD
03-10-2012, 04:07 PM
extremely finite :lol:

Loser
03-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Thing of the past? Yea, like the chevy volt is a thing of the future :roll: :lol:

This idiot just lost his reelection :thumbsup:

Joebob034
03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
How come I still have to pay for it then?

DemonGeminiX
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
How come I still have to pay for it then?

:hand:

They see you coming from a mile away.

Iffy
03-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Thing of the past? Yea, like the chevy volt is a thing of the future :roll: :lol:

This idiot just lost his reelection :thumbsup:

Nope The country is still too stupid to make a good decision. A good decision or if a Khardashian runs on the Rep ballot. Either or :meh: