PDA

View Full Version : ‘Cool girls are lesbians’ T-shirt prompts high school dress code debate

Teh One Who Knocks
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
The Wisconsin Gazette and the Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/UP4Qm.jpg

The controversy is taking place at Lynn English High School, where the Lynn Daily Item newspaper reported that a school committee was convened last week to address the alleged dress code violation.

Committee chair Judith Flanagan said she received a letter from a student who was sitting in a cafeteria when she was told by a vice principal that she had to cover her T-shirt for the day and could not wear it again.

The student said she thought she was wronged.

Kennedy told the Daily Item that she agreed: “I did some legal research on this and I believe she is right. I don’t believe the school had the authority to ask her to cover it up.”

The dress code, according to the chair, prohibits wearing clothing that depicts weapons, drugs or alcohol, or anything considered disruptive but it does not specify gender issues.

Kennedy said the student wrote that girls at school wear T-shirts that read “I love boys” without controversy and that “Straight, don’t hate” would be allowed at the school.

But others at the school disagreed, according to the Daily Item newspaper.

On the committee, the debate continued, with one member wondering whether the student would be allowed to wear an “I love God” T-shirt. And another suggesting, “If the shirt said ‘All cool kids are Celtic fans’ we wouldn’t be here.”

In the end, the committee agreed that school administrators should take a refresher course on laws regarding student expression and that the school conduct sensitivity training.

Arkady Renko
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
and I could have sworn that Tanalishi was already in university...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
:wank:

Joebob034
03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
wrong :hand: cool girls are bi

KevinD
03-13-2012, 05:00 AM
That's why I like the school dress code at my daughter's school. Clear as a bell, no room for misunderstanding. Basically, it states that no "tee" shirts shall be worn, other than school sponsored (Athletic, band, etc) and that no item of clothing shall have any pictures, slogans, writing, etc. (again, other than school sponsored)